Ninja H2 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this on the Facebook page but I know some of the guys on don't use Facebook, so here you go.

Not sure why I haven't heard anyone mention this yet, but there is a major downside to keeping the stock compressor bypass valve. It is designed to start bleeding off boost pressure under high boost. If you are raising the boost by compressor mod or SC gears, this will be affected by your stock bypass valve. You can see a bleed hole that leads to the diaphragm that will help it start opening under heavy boost conditions. This is common on many stock forced induction engines like like the Subaru WRX. By changing to an aftermarket valve, you can eliminate this boost bleed at high pressures. I'm curious if any of the tuners have messed around with changing them to see exactly how this changes the dyno graph.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Rather than being used for a maximum boost regulator the H2 dump valve is used when you shut the throttle.

The H2 supercharger doesn't need pressure regulation like a turbo. It won't over-speed as it's mechanically driven.

The way to increase boost on the H2 is to increase the engine red-line to 14,000 rpm or to swap the supercharger gear-set to make it spin faster.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rather than being used for a maximum boost regulator the H2 dump valve is used when you shut the throttle.

The H2 supercharger doesn't need pressure regulation like a turbo. It won't over-speed as it's mechanically driven.
What about when you keep adding boost and don't shut the throttle?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What about when you keep adding boost and don't shut the throttle?
Boost is proportional to engine speed, from tick-over to whatever your engine's red line is.

Hold the revs steady and you won't hear the dump valve. Shut the throttle and you will hear it's characteristic twitter.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is it possible for it to leak if load exceeds factory's settings? Well that's actually a silly question, of course it will, what I mean is, how much pressure can it hold before it leaks?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Big discussion. Succinct answer.

The hole is so air can be referenced as the solenoid applies equal pressure to both sides of the valve and then switches to vacuum under a part or closed throttle application.

NOLA

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After having this BOV tested, it does not appear to be the same design as other automotive bypass valves that have a built in leak valve for high boost pressures. It does look the same but it functions how most aftermarket BOV would work. This one still vents to the intake, so you can decide if that is enough of a reason to replumb it or replace it. For me, I like the sound and that's it.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The function of this valve is to relieve boost pressure when you close the throttles. This valve does not function as a boost-pressure limiting device at wide open throttle or anywhere near it. Pressure is applied to the other side of the diaphragm from downstream of the throttles. If there is low pressure drop across the throttles (i.e. they're open), the same pressure is applied above and below the valve, and it stays shut.

·
Registered
674 Posts
With pressure equal on both sides the diaphram its still limiting at spring pressure ,
If you block the internal port you would have it positively closed but loose some of the backfire relieve

You guys trying the aftermarket BOV , have you compared the spring pressure to the original , my thumb pressure gauge says its a pretty good spring in there , most BOV are not anywhere near that

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ozbooster, you seem very knowledgeable about these, and many other things. Is it possible to vent the original valve to air for a more pronounced noise without causing any problems?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Just remove the hose that leads from the bypass valve to the intake box and either plug the connection to the intake box or install a small extra filter on that - this is to prevent unfiltered air from going into the intake box (downstream of the air filter). Flow from the bypass valve is out only.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Mine is currently like that
I plugged the air filter end and removed the hose when testing the intercooler
As mentioned elswhere i did notice heat on my leg when it opens , i was in shorts and on the dyno , dont think there is any downside , but it sure gave meaning to the numbers on the temp gauge , and this was after the intercooler , be more noticable with no cooler i would expect

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, noise video:) I will be asking my bike builder to do this for me while he is in there;) this and the boost gauge should take it right back to 1995:()

1 - 16 of 16 Posts