Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Drag Coefficient!, people talk about the looks of the H2 but what's it's drag coefficient compared to other bikes. HP is one thing but to use it without wasting it is another. This is another reason the bike is fast, just look at others, still using shapes for years gone by. Don't question rider position but compare wind tunnel tests. KHI spent a lot of time getting the shape right but when reviews come out in mags one of the most important aspects oh the H2 just get a passing mention. So much for the so called experts having credibility, more like biased opinion.

I have always been interested in ballistics and I know how shapes can suck energy. If you have an H2R and want to do a 1/4 mile then take off the wing-lets as they use energy to put downward pressure on the front, where does this energy come from, the sky? The H2 looks different for a reason. And another thing, shorting up the bike by removing tail pieces may induce more drag and make your bike slower as the air flowing around the bike and rider has some laminar flow and without breaking that flow up properly allowing it to disperse over distance it will create a vacuum behind the rider. Bike might look good but have you made it slower?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I had a conversation with the Japanese H2 design and build team and one of the topics I raised was the aerodynamics of the bike.

My point was that while the H2 itself is undoubtedly a slippery shape they did the wind tunnel tests with just the bike and a design envelope of "up to 186mph". Even the track-biased H2R with it's wings generating front downforce for cornering, while not being speed restricted, wasn't designed for higher speeds. It all changes when you put a rider aboard who wants to go Land Speed Racing and if that rider is average sized there's nowhere to hide.

The front fairing is low and narrow, meaning your shoulders are out in the wind blast. The bike is also short and elbows and knees are vying for the same space, meaning you cannot tuck in as well as on some other bikes. I don't think that removing the plastic tail piece makes much difference at all, I've tried it with and without. It's not the same as the long-tail fairings you see being used on the Hayabusa for LSR.

Look at the attached image of me at +200mph. Look at the shoulders of my leathers, armoured and still pushed right in by the force of the wind. I can't get any lower as my chest and the chin of my helmet are on the tank and I can't get my arms in a bit more because my knees are there. This is the best tuck I can manage on an H2 being of "normal" size. (5' 10")

The biggest obstacle to the H2 going faster is aerodynamics. I'm not theorising, I speak from the experience of the last three seasons of LSR on one. I do agree about the H2R wings though, I beat one last weekend by a margin and he had a lot more power, a claimed 290bhp at the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Congrats Bob & that picture of your H2 from the rear is an angle I don’t see so much but flat out works.

Always been strange to me why the H2’s cowl & shield is so much smaller than the H2R’s, the taller & wider shield w/ the larger more upright cowl provides much more protection, that would make a huge difference for us at higher speeds:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Congrats Bob & that picture of your H2 from the rear is an angle I don’t see so much but flat out works.

Always been strange to me why the H2’s cowl & shield is so much smaller than the H2R’s, the taller & wider shield w/ the larger more upright cowl provides much more protection, that would make a huge difference for us at higher speeds:

Interesting point, didn’t realise there was a size difference

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, the H2R fairing is a little larger, both in height and width.

The attached image is the H2R from Stradale's side by side shot with the H2 fairing outline superimposed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is an awesome achievement congratulations Bob.

What gearing ,ecu flash ect is your bike running ?
It's a Brock's Performance flash, written by Don Guhl in 2015, also a sprint filter and PCV with a custom map by GT Performance made on their dyno' here in Plymouth. I run either 19/41 or 19/42 depending on the wind speed and direction. Fortunately sprockets on the H2 are a doddle to change.

(I replied to your other post about the ECU flash)

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is an awesome achievement congratulations Bob.

What gearing ,ecu flash ect is your bike running ?
It's a Brock's Performance flash, written by Don Guhl in 2015, also a sprint filter and PCV with a custom map by GT Performance made on their dyno' here in Plymouth. I run either 19/41 or 19/42 depending on the wind speed and direction. Fortunately sprockets on the H2 are a doddle to change.

(I replied to your other post about the ECU flash)
That's for getting back to me Bob I appreciate the info.

I'm going to have the bike flashed ect over the winter don't want to loose any riding time.

I'm interested in coming to a staightliners event next year see what the h2 can do without the worrie of loosing my licence so maybe see you at one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts