Ninja H2 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before anyone asks -" Because I can!"

Purchasing H2R cams (inlet & exhaust), I know the H2 inlet can be used on exhaust side, just being pedantic with factory matched items.

Many thanks to OzBooster for helping set this up!

Current mods: TT3 exhaust, DNA filter, 42T rear sprocket, ECU derestrict/datalogged tune.

H2 use: Mainly road use, but intend using more on track this coming year. I have a zx12r for daily road use as well so not overfussed if new setup gives altered lower/mid range power delivery.

I have researched costs etc. of installing the cams myself, which I can do, or having the shop do it, and cost of buying the Woolich kit to flash myself, or having shop do it.

Obviously it would cost more having the shop do both - here in South Oz for the shop to do it all is $550 install cams (they quote 4 hrs work), and state flashing have to be done from scratch for up to $1000! So looking at around Au$1550.

I already have the ecu Woolich flash/derestrict & extension cable to ecu fitted, and Woolich Support strongly recommend using my existing H2 flash settings as a starting point rather than download H2R maps etc. and going from there (not sure exactly why).

I have been quoted Au$767 for the Woolich kit to do it myself (20% discount). I am a novice to this, so have read and seen the Woolich info including videos on set up and basic tuning.

My main question is, is this something others have done from scratch? I'm not dumb (!) and can follow good instructions. I have seen examples of the different maps and can appreciate the complexity of fine tuning, just wandering if when doing the tuning, does the Woolich system give recommendations on values as you go, or is it still up to operator to judge? I don't expect anyone to tell me what I should do, just want any advice/experiences so I can make a more informed decision BEFORE I go ahead!

At least having the Woolich kit I would be saving money in the long run, learn more of what exactly is going on with my bike, and be able to fine tune as needed. The benefit of having a shop/mechanic do the tuning at least is using his experience to set it up.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point h2madness!!

If I do it and something goes terribly wrong, my foot will boot my own arse!

Don.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are hoping that the ECU is going to give you recommendations, I strongly suggest you don't do this yourself and pay the extra to have a professional do it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are hoping that the ECU is going to give you recommendations, I strongly suggest you don't do this yourself and pay the extra to have a professional do it.
No offence taken.

Probably should have made myself clearer. What I meant was being unfamiliar with the Woolich tuning system, I don't know how much "feedback" the system gives as you input changes, or even when doing a datalogging run, if the system then gives recommendations AFTER I have input what I want from it. If that makes sense.

This is why I've posted, to find out how the tuning process works with the Woolich system.

If I don't ask, I won't know.

I am definitely not about to start delving into the tuning world if I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing, and if this thread shows my ineptitude, then by all means I will get a professional to do it.

Advice from yourself and others more knowledgeable is what will guide me.

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi have done it in my h2 if you have woolrich tuning kit just buy h2r bin file down load it in your h2 in the bin file just click on use in h2 and that's it it works

·
Registered
587 Posts
No offence taken.

Probably should have made myself clearer. What I meant was being unfamiliar with the Woolich tuning system, I don't know how much "feedback" the system gives as you input changes, or even when doing a datalogging run, if the system then gives recommendations AFTER I have input what I want from it. If that makes sense.

This is why I've posted, to find out how the tuning process works with the Woolich system.

If I don't ask, I won't know.

I am definitely not about to start delving into the tuning world if I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing, and if this thread shows my ineptitude, then by all means I will get a professional to do it.

Advice from yourself and others more knowledgeable is what will guide me.

Cheers,

Don.
If you're unfamiliar with the system, im sure Woolich tech support could help you in some way. Personally have the bike tuned by a professional, then learn the system afterwards with your tuners help if you need to make small adjustments. It's something that I believe shouldnt just be attempted on such an expensive bike. You screw up and that's a very expensive motor to fix.....very expensive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Boosted12R, I am aware of that, I have been looking at all the videos and written information on the Woolich site to start getting an idea of what is involved. To be honest, during the process of doing that research and putting up this thread I have already come to the conclusion it is above my (current) level of competence. This is exactly one of the outcomes I was looking for (the other being that I felt confident to do it!). It is an expensive bike with expensive fixes if stuffed up. I will be asking the tuner MANY questions during that process so at least I will understand to some degree how it all works!

Braam, thanks for your input too, I have been following your thread with great interest! Interestingly, it has been strongly recommended by Woolich Support not to download the H2R bin file, but to use my already modified H2 maps and build from there, I'm not sure exactly why they suggest that?

H2madness! also makes a good point regarding cover on the work done by the mechanic if it stuffs up. If I do it myself and stuff up, apart from anger/embarrassment/disapointment from myself, my wife will likely give me a smack on the head! (just to start off with!).

In the end, I'd rather put this topic up here and risk potential ridicule, but learn something and have a functioning bike, rather than having kept quiet - bought the Woolich system - tuned the bike - stuff up - then create a topic on "How do I fix a buggered H2 Engine?"

Don.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts