Ninja H2 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I entered car and bike into a local speed event on a runway (RAF Woodbridge - next door to bentwaters which American cousins who like warthogs and aliens will be familiar with)

Put a little video together below. Flash and bits are on order. 6 very consistent runs in good conditions, slight cross wind. Basically at max velocity in less then 1/2 mile and then at the mercy of 210mph porsches and supras.. Enjoy.

Chris

https://youtu.be/Vbdip5HeHb8

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I used to run miles and mile-and-a-quarters at Woodbridge with the 200MPH Club and Straightliners. The MOD don't seem very keen on bike only events these days and the margins of the strip were not being maintained so we use Elvington now. Good to see that somebody is using it, there are so few venues in the UK where these events can run nowadays.

At the National Records meeting at Elvington the other week I started with the TC set to either 1 or 2 (tried both) and the people on the start line could hear it working as the bike went down the track, they asked me if the bike had clutch slip as they didn't know what they'd heard. I couldn't feel it but after running I saw odd radial marks on the RS10 rear tyre, almost like a shallow cut every few inches right around the tyre on the contact area. On subsequent runs I turned the TC off, went faster and the tyre just had that grainy look it gets when working hard. It meant concentrating a little harder to avoid wheelies or wheel spin but the results were worth it.

I've been following the event at Wilmington, Ohio this weekend. Brock is there with an H2 fitted with all his bolt-on kit, Slash Cut pipe, Stage 2 flash and ridden by Zack Millholland. As reported in the Brock Exhaust thread, Zack just made a 219.4mph pass in a mile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woodbridge has been cleaned up a bit now with a lot of the nature cut back at the edges, and the run off and sand pit at the end cleared a bit. But it's a losing battle as it's just not used anymore. I also noticed some odd wear marks on the tyre and put it down to the electronics. Next year should be fun as will be derestricted by then..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Woodbridge has been cleaned up a bit now with a lot of the nature cut back at the edges, and the run off and sand pit at the end cleared a bit. But it's a losing battle as it's just not used anymore. I also noticed some odd wear marks on the tyre and put it down to the electronics. Next year should be fun as will be derestricted by then..
I'm sure this isn't a secret I'm betraying but when Straightliners approached the MOD about using Woodbridge at the start of this season they got no response. Straightliners is a club that will inspect the surface, sweep it clean and do any small repairs, like they do at Elvington. The MOD were simply not interested. I have no idea why but that may explain lack of use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
woodbridge has a fairly full itinary with a certain trackday company who get preference on dates, for regular trackday's,sprints, and events for car clubs. Their is actually very few dates left once 'exercises' by military are taken into account. They use a hurricane blower to clean the areas they use, so generally it's pretty good. The main runway does not get as much use as it should though. Unfortunately for straightliners and any event which relies upon being WOT for extended periods Woodbridge has fallen foul of the noise police. When i say noise police i mean a handful of people who even complain about the gracey spitfire movements at bentwaters next door. [email protected] I know that for this reason they tend to deal with the incumbant trackday organiser as a preference as noise limits are controlled (105 static). However not coming back with a response is just plain rude. I would try again it's a great venue, and i know other organiser have already put requests in for dates next season.

chris.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
woodbridge has a fairly full itinary with a certain trackday company who get preference on dates, for regular trackday's,sprints, and events for car clubs. Their is actually very few dates left once 'exercises' by military are taken into account. They use a hurricane blower to clean the areas they use, so generally it's pretty good. The main runway does not get as much use as it should though. Unfortunately for straightliners and any event which relies upon being WOT for extended periods Woodbridge has fallen foul of the noise police. When i say noise police i mean a handful of people who even complain about the gracey spitfire movements at bentwaters next door. [email protected] I know that for this reason they tend to deal with the incumbant trackday organiser as a preference as noise limits are controlled (105 static). However not coming back with a response is just plain rude. I would try again it's a great venue, and i know other organiser have already put requests in for dates next season.

chris.
If it were up to me I would try again but it's up to Trevor who runs Straightliners. My daughter's in Colchester, so going to Woodbridge was a chance to see her too.

We also have the 105dB limit so that wouldn't be a problem and Elvington has a neighbour who complains at every meeting too. Why do people buy houses near to a military base if they don't like engine noise? Probably the same folk who move to the countryside and complain about cows mooing and cocks crowing, silly sods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts