Ninja H2 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My H2 has been up on its stands connected to a battery monitor for around four months without starting or turning the engine over , it's in a unheated shed but next to a dehumidifier .
I'm not really a fan of starting my bikes every few weeks just for the sake of it but I'm interested to know what others do in the UK and colder states in the USA and Canada. Are you leaving it or running it up ?
I think running may have benefits every few months like keeping oil seals oiled etc but if not thoroughly warmed up to full running temperature could probably do more harm than good due to condensation forming inside the engine as it cools down in a cold shed/ garage . What do you do and what do car and bike manufacturers advise ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
I run mine up every 2-3 weeks. Bring it up to running temperature and after switching off leave garage door open for a while to air everything. I also use Yamalube weather spray around the electrical connectors and engine on both my bikes

·
Registered
376 Posts
My H2 has been up on its stands connected to a battery monitor for around four months without starting or turning the engine over , it's in a unheated shed but next to a dehumidifier .
I'm not really a fan of starting my bikes every few weeks just for the sake of it but I'm interested to know what others do in the UK and colder states in the USA and Canada. Are you leaving it or running it up ?
I think running may have benefits every few months like keeping oil seals oiled etc but if not thoroughly warmed up to full running temperature could probably do more harm than good due to condensation forming inside the engine as it cools down in a cold shed/ garage . What do you do and what do car and bike manufacturers advise ?
Wow glad I don't have to worry about storing my bike bike for months on end! You should come here sun out for 12 months year and a Winter that gets cool not bloody freezing. Ouch good luck with that!
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
For winter storage - Leave it alone until the next time you're ready to ride it.
THIS 100%

I've spoken to a few bike legends over the years and you will never warm the bike up on a stand, in the same way as you would riding the bike.

I have had no issues starting the bike months (sometimes 6 months) and as long as its clean and put to bed the right way, it starts 100%

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The advice not to start the engine is correct.

My H2 is in the garage on stands, plugged into a battery monitor and covered with a dust sheet.

It won't necessarily spend the whole winter like this. If the weather is dry I may take it out for a ride but I always go far enough to get the engine good and hot to evaporate any moisture in the engine oil and exhaust system. When I get back home I also lube the rear chain while that is still warm, the best time to do it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I disagree that you should not start the engine. It's perfectly ok.

I start mine weekly to bi-weekly depending on the temperature.

For those of you that are letting the bike sit for an extended period, make sure you pull the plugs and lube the cylinders with Kawasaki Fogging Oil. It keeps them lubed and prevents corrosion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts