Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading a post from BobC where he mentions his old GPZ 900 R got me thinking about the one I owned in 1988 , It felt so fast after my ZXR Harris or CBX 1000 that one could hardly imagine bikes ever getting faster .
Back in 1978 most people thought the CBX , a 100 BHP , Six Cylinder ,130 MPH bike was madness but bike after bike made it feel slow and ungainly, in 1984 the GPZ rewrote the Superbike book and raised the top speed to 150 MPH .
With 200 + bikes like the H2 now relying on electronic aids to temporarily neuter the power have we reached the levels of power that's required and will see more focus on weight saving , handling etc ? or will we see the next generation of bike making 250 + BHP ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ha, I think wev'e all had a GPZ900R,

Personally, I think manufacturers will keep pushing the boundaries, 250+ bhp is easy, my H2 with a simple ECU re-flash and fook all else makes 234 at the wheel

Will I ever be able to use that, of course not, would I like the H2 lighter, of course I would

I can see the next decade going wild before the PC brigade and tree huggers have their way and we are all on electricary machines, then it will start again in a different guise

Rob

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not really a matter of if they can make 250+ BHP bikes (H2R ) it's more a case of will they make them , I'm sure most H2 riders and forum members would all buy the 2018 H2 if it knocked out 250 +( me for one ) but it's reaching the point where manufacturers cannot justify producing bike with that amount of power when they are already capped at 300 KPH , 186 MPH and have traction control etc .

i think the H2 has slipped under the radar due to its mostly crusty old farts like myself who can afford them but I remember the days of the very affordable Yamaha RD 250 LC carnage that caused a change in the law that learners were restricted to 125 cc bikes .

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes, it will be a slow bike for sure... its a matter of how much time we will need to wait.

I'm more sure about Kawasaki being the one rising the bar again, other than another Brand...

The problem then is simple: without competition, Kawasaki can take 10, 20, 30 years to do it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
All we need is some more 'balls of steel' riders to put an end to any performance motorcycles.There's gonna come a time when governments simply say...nope...too many reckless riders out there.No more fast bikes.These 'hooligans' are gonna mess this deal up they keep doing what they're doing.Hey,I like to go fast on my bike.But I'm refreshing my ideas about what I'm doing these days.The blatant disregard for the laws is not gonna be tolerated much longer.Too many hospital visits and people dying from this behavior.Most attributed to sportbikes.You look at the vids from overseas,cagers are gettin real tired of guys on bikes acting like they own the road no matter what.It's gonna come down to scooters and such only being sold if it keeps up.Hate to think of that,but it COULD happen.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Liability

Can they? of course. Will they? that's the question.
This is a still from the H2R "Built beyond belief" promo video, the Kawi test rider is Jeremy Toye, a friend of mine. We've had discussions about his riding during filming this video as well as the '17 promo video....in that one you may remember he did a pass by the camera were the rear slid out just a bit under open throttle.. I mentioned that I noticed that and he said that they shot WAY more gnarly stuff but the Kawi legal department is deathly afraid of being sued so they keep the videos tame. Same reason that race bikes like the zx10 are tuned down off the showroom floor; ECU, rev limiter low, extremely tall gearing, 1/4 turn throttles instead of 1/5, etc... you remember the 1st gen of the zx10 was called the "widowmaker" because it was an unrestricted ballistic missile right off the showroom floor.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think it is a matter of physics. As is stands today the bikes are on the limit of being able to stay on the ground and not spin even with the stickiest of tires without intervention. Tire tech has improved but not that much, the ones that can stick will wear super fast. The H2 is goes beyond the limits even with the nannies. We want them because we are power junkies and will put our money on the line to enjoy that buzz, but we are in the minority. If the bike gets lighter it becomes almost dangerous. That weight we complain about keeps this bike stable especially under braking and 150+ speeds.
I too had a GPZ 900 (Ninja 900 or just plain Ninja in the states) and I knew it was a revelation, the bike I got rid of to get the 900 was a 73 H2 (I could shoot myself for that one), but I knew it was the beginning of an era and also knew that bikes were nowhere near their limit.
So all that being said and back to the point, when the bikes need nannies to stop wheel spin, wheelies, nasty slides etc. Why go with more HP? Remember Kawasaki has always wanted to be on the top of the heap when it comes to power (They don't make pianos, they make power). That is the way they advertise their presence. This is how they became a household name. The H1 was their first, nobody even tried to beat it, then Kawasaki raised the ante and gave us the 72 H2, again nobody rose to the occasion. Then the Z1 which really wasn't a match for the H2 till they de-tuned it. Then the four stroke wars happened and by slowly creeping up with power until today where 200 seems to be the magic number where nannies are needed. Then that 186 mph (300kph) limit they imposed on themselves now hits us like a baseball bat. I see the bikes getting lighter and more focused on the track. Nope the H2 will be a stand out bike. I can't wait to get mine, because I am an idiot that wants so much overkill that just makes everyone around the thing just gasp and shake their heads.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
'That weight we complain about keeps this bike stable especially under braking and 150+ speeds'...some don't seem to get that.glad you mentioned it. it could have been built lighter...there's a reason it wasn't.not because of money either.i fully trust the engineering and design of this bike.i love the electronic steering damper...it really was a big safety part with this bike.and it works excellently.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
'That weight we complain about keeps this bike stable especially under braking and 150+ speeds'...some don't seem to get that.glad you mentioned it. it could have been built lighter...there's a reason it wasn't.not because of money either.i fully trust the engineering and design of this bike.i love the electronic steering damper...it really was a big safety part with this bike.and it works excellently.
Actually I like a bit of extra weight, My 10 is light and it is so much fun to ride. But I ride the Concours and I don't go slow. But I have always had the big Ninjas and an used to the wrestling match. I am more comfortable pushing a heavy bike hard. Somehow it is more rewarding.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I put my H2 on a diet.As much as I could.She's right around 495 or so,w/full tank.Haven't reweighed with the carbon fiber redo...maybe saved a few lbs there.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is an interesting topic, yes my 155mph GPz felt like a rocket ship back in 1984. With the H2 Kawasaki have certainly been pushing the boundaries of power and performance, as have the other manufacturers with their quicker bikes.

At the same time they've been loading the bike with rider aids. We're all quite used to ABS by now but Cornering ABS, Traction Control with many settings, Wheelie control, Launch control and different power modes are all becoming quite normal too. Kawasaki gave the H2 all that performance and still complied with the "gentleman's agreement" and limited the bike to 186mph. I think the designers must have had a devilish glint in their eye when they geared it to hit the red line at a few mph beyond this, giving the bike the maximum performance for the power available. There must be a million combinations for all this elec-trickery.

As for @Supercharged's question, will time make it feel slow? Ask me in another decade or two.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Future electric motorcycles will make current ICE motorcycles seem slow!
This pretty much answers the question. Just as the H2 was the last big splash for the 2 stroke. This H2 may well be the last big splash for the internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When i was on a test drive in a Tesla Model S in ludicrous mode the salesman did a 0-60 blast with me, my wife and two six foot kids on board.

The traction and acceleration was just phenomenal and i was SOLD on electric vehicles. I would have bought the car but the range anxiety stopped me for the moment, but it will be fixed very soon.

I won't miss the ICE.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When i was on a test drive in a Tesla Model S in ludicrous mode the salesman did a 0-60 blast with me, my wife and two six foot kids on board.

The traction and acceleration was just phenomenal and i was SOLD on electric vehicles. I would have bought the car but the range anxiety stopped me for the moment, but it will be fixed very soon.

I won't miss the ICE.
Once my business takes off (and it will) a Model S is going to be high on my list to replace my Corvette. Although that 4 door Porsche is also going to be high on the list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have your h2 Brocked out you could`nt even think such a thing.Kawasaki restricted it to save LIVES. As I have said before.I shifted into 6th gear at 190 and the handlebar move to the right and the bike DID`NT.Meaning the front tire was slightly off the ground.I`m geared +1 -2 ..This bike simply has too much power for the street period when de-restricted. **** I`m worried I`m gonna get ripped off the bike from shear acceleration. You just don`t know what this evil ****** is gonna do. If you **** up your dead meat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Except in the top gears a bike CANNOT deliver more power-to-weight to the pavement than the H2 does without jacking the front wheel. No acceleration improvement can happen there unless the Earth develops stronger gravity, wheelbase is extended, or some seriously big wings add more downforce to the front.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Lol ( be nice) I love it! Let's just get out and ride! I sure hope there's more coming with more power! Needed or not I want them! I heard a rumor that the new V4 Ducati might be 220 or 230......Sign me up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts