Ninja H2 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been away on business and the Wife has been riding the H2 and has fallen in love with it. Now she wants one of her own, so curious if there will be a 2017.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quite possibly and Kawasaki have already released some concepts of other bikes using the H2's supercharger technology.

It's going the same way that cars have gone in recent years, smaller capacity with superchargers or turbochargers to get the same performance with better economy and lower emissions.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would put money on there NOT being a 2017 model H2 (in Europe at least) - the Euro 4 emissions standards which all EU registered bikes (with a few small exceptions) must comply with from 1/1/17 will be difficult, if not impossible, for Kawasaki to meet with the H2 as we know it.

However I would not be surprised to see more bikes from Kawasaki using some of the ideas and technology from the H2 .......

Roll on EICMA 2017 in Milan

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quite a few rumors about 800cc S/C bike which i think would be perfect if there was a significant weight reduction ,even a 600 would be a good fun bike i guess will have to wait and see.I do think that the new version of the supercharger will be used on bikes like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there an official last order by date? basically when is the last day you can put an order in for a 2016? Might have to start keeping an eye out sooner than expected.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was under the impression it was not rumour anymore and just awaiting production dates? Don't know where I read that, maybe here?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the R2 is the bike for me. Probably not an insane gas response as the H2 :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is this h2 really that bad? I took out a new r1 for a test ride a couple weeks ago and the salesman sounded like he was trying to make me nervous of it? Pull away too quick and it will spit you out, wheelies at 150 if going over a crest etc!! I was very underwhelmed. Handling and brakes were fantastic, power, was ok, nothing scary. Any real world pull my Vmax would tear it a new one?. So, should I be really scared of the h2 or just a little???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, it surprised me once (after 650 trouble free km's) and launched me into the back of a car...

·
Registered
765 Posts
? where you caught looking at other bikes? Try polishing your bike and re assuring it before you go out??

Only joking, why or how did that happen? Anything I should especially look out for?

·
Registered
835 Posts
What are people's thoughts on the rumoured 800cc R2?
First of all congratulations on your name , best on the forum.
Personally I don't see the point of small engined turbo or supercharged bikes , why buy a supercharged middleweight that gives you big bike power when you can just but an R1 or ZX10 that are already light and handed well ? I don't think Kawasaki would do an 800cc version as its too close to 1000cc but they may try a 600 or 750 ?
I think that's why all the Japanese turbo bikes from the 80s failed to sell , why buy the 150 mph turbo GPZ 750 when you could buy the 150 mph GPZ 1100 , Kawasaki should have turbocharged the 1100 version and made it the legend the H2 will be .

·
Registered
331 Posts
^ In another thread it was mentioned the new euro 4 emissions standard. I did some lookups and it sounds like emissions will need to be cut in half next year. How will manufacturers address this without massively re-engineering current models. IMO we have seen the bits of the answer as a SC with an CPU controlled aperture. So if you take a ZX14 motor and cut it in half you have half the emissions and less weight. Add on a smartly controlled SC and you have your power back. And this configuration could be sold to worldwide market. Maybe we can all thank the global carbon police for our SC/1000cc bike :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you get on a H2 and just give it to it without first learning how to ride this bike you will end up on your ass,disrespect it and you will end up on your ass,and yes it delivers power like no other bike .

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
^ In another thread it was mentioned the new euro 4 emissions standard. I did some lookups and it sounds like emissions will need to be cut in half next year. How will manufacturers address this without massively re-engineering current models. IMO we have seen the bits of the answer as a SC with an CPU controlled aperture. So if you take a ZX14 motor and cut it in half you have half the emissions and less weight. Add on a smartly controlled SC and you have your power back. And this configuration could be sold to worldwide market. Maybe we can all thank the global carbon police for our SC/1000cc bike :)
They will require massive re-engineering. But at this point it is not a major technical obstacle. The auto industry already knows how to build big power low-emissions engines and it's the same technology. The 2016 ZX10R is already a Euro 4 compliant bike, and the already-announced-but-not-yet-out 2017 GSXR1000 will be Euro 4 compliant.

Closed-loop EFI (over a wide range of operating loads), lambda sensor, 3-way catalyst (might have to be a little bigger), better control of the secondary air injection system, better control of the exhaust back-pressure valve (if done carefully, it can act like EGR at part load, forcing flow backwards during the valve overlap period, reduces NOx and unburned fuel). The noise reduction is harder, it's not just exhaust but also mechanical noise. Also OBDII is required but that's a direct transfer of what cars have had for 20 years, it's all in the electronics and all major automotive electronics suppliers (Keihin, Bosch, Mitsubishi, etc) know how to do it.

Given the very quiet stock muffler on the H2, I'd be surprised if it wasn't designed with Euro 4 in mind even if it wasn't actually certified as Euro 4 compliant. The H2 ECU (Mitsubishi) is very similar to the 2016 ZX10R ECU and that one is Euro 4 compliant. The H2 already has the lambda sensor, the 3-way catalyst, secondary air injection under electronic control, exhaust back-pressure flap, and cam timing that sure looks like it was designed with emission control in mind. Yeah it runs rich under heavy load, but that's outside the test conditions ...

The big problem is that Euro 4 applies first to newly-introduced models, which is fine, but one year later it applies to ALL models, and that means the manufacturers will have to re-engineer every vehicle in the lineup or cancel the slow-sellers.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Also ... I will bet that the H2 engine gets reused in different upcoming applications. Maybe the next Concours. It would be a killer sport-touring engine. Re-tuning it for less aggressive throttle response and power output is a simple matter. It's lighter and narrower than the ZX14/Concours 14 engine and it's very smooth-running.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts