Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning the H2 since April and almost 2000 miles, I noticed that in second gear medium roll-on throttle, the front wheel rises, then I stay in the throttle even harder and the wheelie keeps coming up, I was a bit surprised since it has been to a track day and riding fairly hard. Anyone else noticed this, if I can reproduce it I may post a short video.

Rhody...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
One thing I DID find out...with KTRC on 1+...my frontend will lift very fast(still)starting with a harder roll-on at about 5K...then I shift while she's still up,and the front remains yets drops just a bit in second.QS'r on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, how do you control them, feather the clutch, tab the rear brake, get way forward over the tank, slight roll-off of the throttle, or some combination of the above.

Rhody...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not good enough to have wrung out the bikes full potential but started to feel pretty comfortable with just how hard I could get into the throttle in each gear, that's the good news. The bad news is that I kinda feel like I'm back at square one now that the bike has the stage 2 flash, DNA, PCV & full exhaust. I literally almost flipped it about a week back, it's a whole nother beast now & I absolutely LOVE it. The great news? I ALMOST flipped it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be careful God **** it, coming off at 40 - 90 mph is bad enough, coming off at 150+ is asking for serious injury/death, it must be one scary rush though...

Rhody...

·
Registered
331 Posts
We all know that the TC works by watching the rotational speed differential between the front and rear wheels right. The higher TC numbers more tightly limit how much difference is allowed by limiting requested throttle input and back wheel slippage. Because of this basic rule the way I see it there are variables that may make each persons experience slightly different. Tire compound, road surface and rider weight will allow more or less tire slip under acceleration and so may make a some differences for TC and Wheelieing.

Example one a really sticky race tire and TC2, On WFO low slippage means TC will not intervene so full power UNTIL front tire lifts. At that point the front wheel begins to slow and at some point ??? the TC should feather off engine power hopefully before it loops.

Example two a hard road tire and TC2, On WFO much more slippage occurs sooner and TC intervenes before front tire lifts and if the front does lift TC will be much closer to the point that it will feather off power. The front may rise less abruptly?

There's also two different riders ...one guy hammers WFO and lets the electronics figure out the situation, This guy needs to dial in TC and may need to reset it for different conditions or tires or it could end badly. The other guy feels the machine and screws the power on with control and can feel the TC intervention and can dial it in to the ragged edge or turn it off and still be OK. The system allows us to store some presets to make this process easier so we should all be presetting and finding our own limits.

Bottom line for me I don't think TC is a set it and forget it one setting fits all. IMO this bike could REALLY use the advanced rider assist pkg of the zx-10. Show of hands who would pay money for a retrofit kit. Then we could all ride wheelies like a circus monkey. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I remember when the Gen 4 ZX10R came out I read somewhere that in TC 1 the system knows if you are wanting to hold a wheelie by what you are doing with the throttle and will allow it to carry even though the wheel speed difference is changing when the front is off the ground. I suspect the H2 setup is the same.

·
Registered
331 Posts
...Once the front wheel leaves the ground the computer has no way of knowing where the wheel is at. 1 inch, 1 foot or 180 degrees over. It is that simple. So the safest thing for it to do is decrease power until it touches down and begins to spin again. The lower you set TC the more differential speed you're dialing in until it can go over. It is adjustable so that it can be dialed in against variable conditions.

If you want a system that you could program to always only lift off 6" and no more it is the new gyro/accellerometer based systems.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone please try NO TC compared to TC -1 and let me know what they experience, preferably not on a Stage 1 or 2 Brocks setup, please be careful.

Rhody...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've done this...it lifts very quickly.KTRC "off".Ktrc "1"....I don't feel confident it'll stop a lift if I stay on the gas.In fact,I don't feel any difference with it on '1'.

Today if the weather holds...I want to get out and try mine on my now setting.(2-).

My main problem is...I don't really know HOW to ride a wheely for any length of time.I can get mine up for several seconds...but the speed it lifts usually causes me to back out.I've tried rolling on...that seems to be a bit more controllable...but so far..even those are iffy as far as the front quickly lifting as it climbs in RPM's.I'm concerned about the fork seals.I blew two out on my 14 trying to get the hang of holding a wheely.Sometimes I can bring it back down very nicely.But most times...although it isn't slamming back down...it isn't smooth like I see others doing.Wish I could get this.I did get a wheely up in 1st...then shifted as it was airborne into 2nd.That was pretty interesting.Kinda by accident really.It stayed up though...then settled back down and i shifted to 3rd...with the frontend getting VERY light.This isn't something I'd want to 'practice' with traffic around.

I should just get out away from traffic and simply practice.Find a nice quiet stretch of road somewhere...and just do it.Course with the power of this motor...it's hard(for me)to get a consistent scenario every time I do these.I'm not even sure HOW I should be adding gas and such at any given time I try.

I wish someone here that can wheely this bike effectively would chime in and offer a 'how-to' or something.

My MAIN problem is finding the balance point.It gets there...then just as fast,disappears.That's the problem for me.To hold it in that balance point.Some guys have a natural ability to find it and hold it.I'm not one of those.YET.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had mine set at 2- and recently switched to 1+. It's not very noticeable change, I can feel the wheel lift off the ground but it touches down and just skims the road. I do roll the throttle on very slowly after I feel the front get really light and by ~6-8k I'm full throttle and its not lifting in 2nd-3rd-etc up to red line.

Just a guess here ...hitting throttle quick/hard there is weight transfer to the back wheel helping it grip. Rolling it on more slowly not so much so. More rear wheel slippage means I hit the TC sooner. Setting 1 or 1- its gonna lift i don't doubt.

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
835 Posts
My TC is still on 2 as I collected it from the shop and I know it will flip over in third gear as I ended up hanging underneath the bloody thing a few weeks back . This is not an exaggeration it was past vertical , slamming the throttle shut brought it down hard but better than the alternative !
The H2 is very hard to wheelie as opposed to my old 2001 R1 , it comes up almost as fast as I can react and tiny movements in the throttle can be the difference between looking good and looking very bad ( in hospital ) .
Try accelerating hard in second gear and when it starts to lift just hold the throttle level until you ride it out , you should start to get a feel for what's going on .

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I should just get out away from traffic and simply practice.Find a nice quiet stretch of road somewhere...and just do it.
Silver, I'm with you on the seeming lack of ability of wheeling. The exception with me is I have a hard time wheeling anything that would resemble what is seen in video after video. How 'bout that guy in England that carried a wheelie thru a mile and obtained a speed over 200 in the process?!

Way back in another life when I was still with the airlines, I learned to wheelie a wheelchair. By that, I mean to get it on its balance point and then race another dummy while keeping the balance. It was unfortunate that silliness never helped me when it came to powered vehicles.

More to the point, I did learn to wheelie my old H1 & H2. Not really. I happened to learn at what rpm and gear I could safely yank the gas on. The bikes would do a short wheelie and settle on their own under full power.

Huge difference with my new H2! I'm still playing with it and learning how easy it shows me who's the boss! Don't have a thousand miles on it yet. However, I've set the traction to 2 and do enjoy quick lifts in the first three gears. I'm finding it pretty easy to modulate the lift with throttle. But, and it's a big but, none of this is nowhere near full rpm. This also is without recognizing a balance point.

I think you've hit the nail on the head by stating you need to get out of traffic and simply practice. I agree and wish you success!:)

·
Registered
787 Posts
What is the guy looking at when he is sitting on the bike, while keeping the bike wheelied?

There was a fantastic '89 civic parked in front of it. As long at he kept the top of the bikes screen level with the 16 VALVE logo at the bottom of the rear window he would go past tipping point.

·
Registered
210 Posts
who cares about wheelies?
these guys you see stunting with crazy wheelies have a rear sprocket about the same size as the rim
the only wheelies i like are the ones that happen under hard accelleration especially on the road i find them a lot more controlable its all about throttle control im getting the hang of the h2s twitchy throttle now and having fun with it.i can do a pretty good clutch bouncing wheelie on a little dirt bike and keep it there but on the street on a monster fast heavy bike i dont even wanna try

ps i ride in tc1 i turned it off once then turned it right back on,i m not ready for tc off yet

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I hear ya.No way would I even attempt to 'ride' a wheely.Not with this bike.Returned my TC setting to 1+.That seems good enough to get the front to loft...and yet not feel totally crazy.2- cut the power just too much...but would be good I suppose for hard accelerations with minimal wheel lift.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts