Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , can anyone tell me if traction control in either 1 ,2 or 3 will cut in and prevent the bike from looping ?
Mine is set on Two , on leaving the lights I gave it a fair handful of revs in first which resulted in a face full of petrol tank , I backed off went into second and again a face full of tank .
My question ) if I had just held it open would it have looped or does the TC prevent this by cutting power an bringing the front down ?

The following info is just to give an idea as to how I can ride to help answer the question it is not me bragging ,some people class a wheelie as an inch off the ground and others have it vertical.

I have been able to wheelie for years and could even stand my 1978 CBX 1000 on its balance point for at least a high street , things like R1 s I can go half a mile + etc . It's just that the H2 came up so fast it's very hard to fight my instinct not to back off as it would obviously would have very quickly gone past the balance point had I not backed off , the sharp on/ off power delivery does not help on this bike but it looks like it's going to be a doddle to lift in forth as it should be a little less violent in the higher gears ( still not going too hard as I'm running it in ) .

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you understand HOW the KTRC system works then you will understand its limitations. It is definitely NOT as good as the R1 from what I have read. My understanding is that the lower the KTRC level the faster and more aggressive the ECU will open the throttles to the point that the front wheel will lift and go over. How effective each KTRC level is I think depends on whether you whack the throttle WFO or screw it on slowly.

Set the KTRC higher and ride it how you ride it and get to know what the ECU is doing for you. Then progressively lower it till it gets scary. To me that's what it is, a tool to help you to safely learn the bike and ultimately be able to turn it off when you have capable skills.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yup...I think I set mine once on KTRC 3...it wouldn't lift.Then I went to '2'...that let it lift...but it STILL was climbing too fast(for me).So I think somewhere in the 2+ or - range will get ya what you want for now.Know what ya mean about flipping over and trying to find a balance point.She lofts really fast.Even rolling on at say...5K in 1st,and adding throttle...she STILL wants to flip.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have mine on 2 and mostly never use the clutch, wheelies are one thing lately the rear has really been kicking out changing into 3rd almost to the point of highside.Maybe just im a little harder on the gas these days.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found out last night with klcm on 1 and ktrc on 1-, the front would raise, but almost instantly, the bike would bring it down. i managed to hit 150 mph in the 1/4 mile on my stock H2 every time. but on ktrc on just 1.. it would let it rise.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I made a demonstration run on the Elvington runway using TC2 and it does wheely, in fact it wheelied in the first four gears and finally came down and allowed full throttle when I got it into fifth.

Whether it would have looped or not I couldn't say because I controlled it with a bit of rear brake - but in fourth gear it just held the front wheel up about a foot and felt very controlled, still accelerating like you wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a demonstration run on the Elvington runway using TC2 and it does wheely, in fact it wheelied in the first four gears and finally came down and allowed full throttle when I got it into fifth.

Whether it would have looped or not I couldn't say because I controlled it with a bit of rear brake - but in fourth gear it just held the front wheel up about a foot and felt very controlled, still accelerating like you wouldn't believe.
I think I've just done a little man wee after reading that ! God I'm excited.

·
Registered
267 Posts
To my way of thinking the KTRC is there to inhibit wheel spin and slide to a controllable level.
The only thing that may stop you flipping whilst doing a wheelie would be the ABS.It would sense the rear wheel turning faster than the front and slow the back wheel down.
With the instant grunt the H2 has I don't think anything could stop you looping it if you wanted to.Right wrist and right foot are your controls for anti-loop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
guys. set your traction control to 1- and i bet you it wont rise.. but ill be glad if you can prove me wrong. with klcm on 1 and dropping the clutch on full throttle, it didnt raise the wheel. im interested if you guys get different results.. still trying out the different settings and that was the only thing we could figure was keeping the front wheel down on the track. the night before doing practice runs on traction 1.. it popped every time..

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but once you set the traction control, and launch control, ride it, turn it off, and start it back up, do I have to reset everything again?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Traction control remains in the mode that it was last set unless you turn traction control completely off; then after an ignition off/on it reverts to mode 1 (lowest setting). Haven't played with launch control.

·
Registered
331 Posts
To my way of thinking the KTRC is there to inhibit wheel spin and slide to a controllable level.
I think you're right on the money Flipr. The KTRC control works as long as both wheels are on the ground. Like in a turn and you are powering on. If the rear begins to step out and slip the ECU sees that wheel speed differential and limits it. It sounds though that launch control is a different mode altogether. And while it is active is KTRC overridden? otherwise it would come up KTRC set to -1?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'd guess the KLCM is using the Ktrc abilities to some point...mixing that with the 6K throttle opening.Probably a more aggressive input against wheel spin but not causing the engine to lose power(cutting ignition)?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but once you set the traction control, and launch control, ride it, turn it off, and start it back up, do I have to reset everything again?

No- the last settings will remain until you change them again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my 1000km service done a few weeks ago and the mechanic told me that this traction control takes it off crank speed, if the ECU thinks it's spinning too quick it assumes you have broken traction and cuts it. He mentioned it after I told him since the aftermarket ECU and exhaust TC kicks on at higher revs, I have to run TC off since I had the mods done. Because it's made the charger come on sooner the ECU gets confused on my bike and thinks it's spinning. Even on the lightest setting it steps in :( I really didn't want to run it with TC off

·
Registered
126 Posts
No- the last settings will remain until you change them again.
no.. the klcm will reset to off.. ktrc will stay on the setting you set it to unless you turned it off.. if you turned it off, then it will revert back to your previous setting.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That sucks,i personally wont be doing any ECU mods only mod was a slip on Acra,im sure Kawasaki have done shitloads of development and the bike works well as a package.Changing major things may make some things better but also may affect other functions adversely. I have bought a radiator guard ,haven't fitted it yet but I think that's a wise investment seeing that I ride this bike any chance I get.The paint has has most of it covered in 3M film ,this was the only weak point in the bike and im pretty happy with the result so far.I will be adding some overgrips to soften the feel then im just going to keep putting rear tyres on her as she lurves to screw them up.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I run the TC on either -1 or off.....the front will come up nicely in -1 and come up about a foot or a little more but it will stop it from going over. I whacked it WFO and she comes up and stays at that level and you can hear the ECU cutting back the motor for sure. I love to wheelie so that's why I ride with the TC off a lot.....Maybe not the safest thing to do but it sure is fun. :)

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Maybe I'll try those settings...I haven't really attempted to change any KTRC settings...only once.On '3' I think it was.No loft,no power.Ride in the '1' mode..or 'off'.It would be nice to have a controlled lift going on...I can't ever get the throttle right to stay lofted for more than a second(or two)...it lifts so fast.Having blown out at least two fork seals on my 14...I don't want to have a hard landing with this bike if possible.I'm not very good at pulling smooth wheelies...I'd like to be.But things go really fast with this bike.

Any instructions on lifting and holding would be good...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts