Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having owned an H2 for 7 months and 11,000 miles, here are my thoughts.
But to start for those who haven't read my background, I am an original H2 750 Triple owner (bought new in 73), and since then I owned all the biggest Ninjas (except for the ZX14, got a Concours14/GTR1400 instead). And have owned dozens of motorcycles over the years. And worked at motorcycle dealerships for decades.

And all I can say is the H2 is the finest motorcycle I have ever owned. Not to say it is perfect, but closer to perfect than anything else.
Most of the riding I have been doing for the last few years has been on the Concours 14 about 112,000 miles between 2 of them. It is a big fast comfortable motorcycle that one can ride all day and just tear up a road. But now that I have been riding the H2 I prefer the feel of a big sports bike, excuse me a big super bike. The air in your face etc.

But the H2 is in a league of its own. Power as we all know stock is stunning, after a flash and filter it is stupid.

Comfort wise, other than the seat being a bit hard I have no trouble riding it for 350 mile plus per day, which I do quite frequently. One of the main things that make it so comfortable is the lack of vibration, the thing is smoother than the Concours.

Handling wise, getting rid of the Bridgestones was the best thing I did to the bike. Now it feels 50 lbs lighter with the Michelin RS tires.

But what I love about it most is every time you look at the thing you realize how well engineered it is. The detail is fantastic.
Another thing is when you talk to someone about a fast bike, you always get the BS about how fast a Busa is, you couldn't talk about how fast the ZX12 was without someone coming up with some BS about how fast a Busa was. With the H2, everyone believes nothing will touch the thing, and then they can appreciate the bike for what it really is. Even Harley guys like the thing.

What a motorcycle!!!
What do you think of yours?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ted, I agree 100% with everything you have said. I do have the experience you have, but I have been riding bikes since 86, and the h2 is by far the best bike I've ever ridden. I too got rid of the Bridgestones, and put Michelin, in. Its planted and I've done 3K on them with a trip to Italy and there is still plenty left on them. I've not done the flash and filter upgrade, but the first thing to change for me was the standard exhaust, and i now have the yoshi alpha on the end, and what a lovely sound and I'm sure will id to enhanced performance with mods over the winter. But more importantly, as you say, its the design of the bike, it's bloody gorgeous, and i find myself sitting looking at it sometimes in awe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting stuff. It's because of the generation gap thing. From a time that I remember if you wanted to ride you just got on and taught yourself or if you were lucky you got to watch someone you knew. Can't imagine if there were interwebs and well workiing tv. And what a remarkable bike for sure. It's got the pedigree. And that 12 btw is still plenty a handful. I would know, I'm an original owner. I'm also near where they do the mile racing so I know the speeds of modern day high hp bikes. Kawasaki set the bar high decades ago and now they don't have the pressure to prove anything. They can build a bike while having fun, and it shows.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 2019 Ducati V4R - 998cc, with Akra exhaust is stating it is the fastest superbike in the world with 234 HP at the crankshaft, which beats the 2019 Ninja H2 with 231 HP at crankshaft. The whole world knows the supercharged Ninja H2 is the fastest, "out of the box", road legal 1000cc superbike ever built! What they don't know is, with just one modification of derestricting the ECU, the bike can turn out 231 RWHP about 245 engine crankshaft HP. Additional upgrades, ECU tuning, air filter, exhaust, essentially letting the engine breath more, turns it into a world record breaking speed demon, untouchable by any other 1000cc bike for years to come, if not ever.

The track only H2R, puts out 310 engine crankshaft HP. The H2 engine is designed and built to the same engineering standards as the H2R, with a handful of upgrades to achieve this amazing performance level. That's what makes owning an H2 so remarkable and exciting. Not only does it look amazing, the engine is built "Beyond Belief" to provide "Stupid Fast" performance, you can achieve on the street. No other 1000cc superbike can ever out do an H2 unless they add a supercharger to their engine as well. Kawasaki is the only global motorcycle manufacturer brave enough to do so.

With all this performance, the engine is smooth, the bike handling/suspension is remarkably comfortable and responsive, brakes are awesome, acceleration is exhilarating. There is not a better bike one could own, that could ever compare to an H2. For those of us lucky enough to own one, we are blessed :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too, I had a 2000 ZX12.
You left out and the H2 is 3x the bike of just 20 years ago. Classy biker Sir!

Too bad NOONE else wants to participate and communicate here. Shy group I spose? Nevermind me I'm just going to do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You left out and the H2 is 3x the bike of just 20 years ago. Classy biker Sir!

Too bad NOONE else wants to participate and communicate here. Shy group I spose? Nevermind me I'm just going to do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight.
I notice that too. I am very verbose about motocycles and technical stuff. Because all of my life is what the old HiPoint bumper sticker said " I eat, sleep, dream, ride, live and love motorcycles".

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 2019 Ducati V4R - 998cc, with Akra exhaust is stating it is the fastest superbike in the world with 234 HP at the crankshaft, which beats the 2019 Ninja H2 with 231 HP at crankshaft. The whole world knows the supercharged Ninja H2 is the fastest, "out of the box", road legal 1000cc superbike ever built! What they don't know is, with just one modification of derestricting the ECU, the bike can turn out 231 RWHP about 245 engine crankshaft HP. Additional upgrades, ECU tuning, air filter, exhaust, essentially letting the engine breath more, turns it into a world record breaking speed demon, untouchable by any other 1000cc bike for years to come, if not ever.

The track only H2R, puts out 310 engine crankshaft HP. The H2 engine is designed and built to the same engineering standards as the H2R, with a handful of upgrades to achieve this amazing performance level. That's what makes owning an H2 so remarkable and exciting. Not only does it look amazing, the engine is built "Beyond Belief" to provide "Stupid Fast" performance, you can achieve on the street. No other 1000cc superbike can ever out do an H2 unless they add a supercharger to their engine as well. Kawasaki is the only global motorcycle manufacturer brave enough to do so.

With all this performance, the engine is smooth, the bike handling/suspension is remarkably comfortable and responsive, brakes are awesome, acceleration is exhilarating. There is not a better bike one could own, that could ever compare to an H2. For those of us lucky enough to own one, we are blessed :)

They’re claiming 243ps with ram air, Ducati V4 as you say is 234 with the full race map and Akra (not out the box)

The 1100 V4 in standard guise is not hitting the numbers they claim on the dyno, a few reports I read are sub 200bhp at rear wheel so it will be interesting to see a comparison of the 2019 H2 and 1000cc V4R at the rear wheel. Note the torque is poor at 85lbft.

All a pub story to me, I can’t use 200bhp to its potential!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My H2 is very special to me.There's nothing out there that I've seen that looks like the Mirror Coated Black.The way it reflects the sky on a semi cloudy day.I knew I'd be happy with it when I ordered it.It IS smoother than my 14R.That's sayin alot.Ergos are perfect for me.Redid my seat and softened it up some.Fuel mileage is very good.In the 40's most of the time.I like my 14...but it just doesn't have that extra spark to it.Nothing here can even come close to the performance of my h2.It's so unique looking.Easy to clean.Feel good polishing it and taking care of the paint.Handles great.Stops fast.Reliable.Though it's actually the same length as my 14,it doesn't look like it when sitting on it.I feel pretty 'at one' when I'm riding it.That's worth a lot.I won't be needing another bike ever.It has all I want and more.Always fun to ride.Glad I could go for it when it first came out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The H2 is the best stock motorcycle I have ever owned (they don’t stay that way for long) that being said I have had several bikes that were faster (not stock) but not as fun to own!
I’m getting older and more mature, I don’t want a remote start grudge bike, or can’t find parts for it Yoshimura Superbike. I like that I can throw a leg over it, start it and go!
Best production bike IMHO!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And although I have found this bike to be very reliable, I see an extended warranty in my future.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thought carefully before I purchased mine (2017 Carbon) as I tend to keep them for ever. It's coming up 25 years since I brought and still have my ZX-11 C3 and that bike was fast in it's time. The first few months I wondered why I brought it, but after a while when my nerves had settled down I came to realize to appreciate it I had to ride it like it was 'built beyond belief', only then did I start to bond with this machine.

There are only 2 within 200 miles of home and I caught up with the other guy, around my age, been riding all his life and I asked him how could he best explain the H2, an interesting answer ' a very angry bike'. So that's how I also see it and ride it that way because if you don't it's like riding an angry horse, take control, be the boss or you are going to be in a lot of trouble.

So, what year or future H2 KHI have said that the bike has everything in the design to make extra horsepower so I am very happy with my H2, it's up to me how much horsepower I want. It wasn't until I learnt to connect with my H2 that I fell in love with it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"' a very angry bike'. So that's how I also see it and ride it that way because if you don't it's like riding an angry horse, take control, be the boss or you are going to be in a lot of trouble."

Interesting.I don't see mine that way at all.Crouching Tiger,hidden dragon.It'll tear up anything in it's path,but calm and docile as can be when lovingly stroked.I pretty much stopped riding it like it had to go 160 everywhere.I guess my respect for it is up there.I was headed towards the hospital or worse.It's much more fun now that I'm going slow enough to actually 'feel' the ride.You know.The faster ya go on this beastie,the more you're thinkin..'what if'..cause **** happens.Happens fast.There's a time and place for railin.I know it'll kill anything out there,so why do it every chance I can.Almost more enjoyable knowin that than actually doin it...everywhere lol.At 80 mph,it's way cool.Or 70.Or 60 for that matter.I know it'll do 203.That wasn't even at 14K.Mine'll do 14.2K before it limits.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Pretty fast is what I think. Class records for the last two seasons. Inducted into the Speed Record Club Hall of Fame in 2016.

221.414 mph in a standing start mile with very few mods other than a reflash, Akrapovic Evo' system, PCV with custom map and a gearing change.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
But that's what I mean, it's angry and you have to have a cool head to ride it. Even half throttle is aggressive. I never go crazy on it but even passing cars you have to be aware that it's not like a normal bike, just a little to much throttle and it can get all out of hand very quickly. Just been to a track day and the good riders I offered all said no! Even the local dealer and the mechanic declined a test ride and they are both into racing ZX10's etc. Have no idea why nobody takes up the offer. The mechanic wanted a photo for his Facebook page to show he serviced one. I do know they have ridden the only other one in the area but why not mine?

Mind you, the two people I let ride my triple H1 ended up in hospital, one with broken legs, the other with concussion. Cost me a fortune in repairs. Never let anybody ride my H2 triple. Maybe I have forgotten the cost to my pocket?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But that's what I mean, it's angry and you have to have a cool head to ride it. Even half throttle is aggressive. I never go crazy on it but even passing cars you have to be aware that it's not like a normal bike, just a little to much throttle and it can get all out of hand very quickly. Just been to a track day and the good riders I offered all said no! Even the local dealer and the mechanic declined a test ride and they are both into racing ZX10's etc. Have no idea why nobody takes up the offer. The mechanic wanted a photo for his Facebook page to show he serviced one. I do know they have ridden the only other one in the area but why not mine?

Mind you, the two people I let ride my triple H1 ended up in hospital, one with broken legs, the other with concussion. Cost me a fortune in repairs. Never let anybody ride my H2 triple. Maybe I have forgotten the cost to my pocket?
I agree you have to have a cool head to ride this thing. It accelerates so hard that it is hard to hang on and cover the brake at the same time.

Hmmm angry? I think a better word is vicious. I am going to quote a very good article about superbikes and specifically talking about the 73 H2 triple. And I quote " ...the quickest, most intense; most single-purpose street machine ever built for general consumption, a screaming, purple-eyed monster that does everything with a shriek and whose only God is performance."
That quote says many things, first and foremost is it is a street machine, to think of the H2 as anything else is missing the point. And it is a whopper of a street machine. Kawasaki did it before with the triple and did it again with the Ninja H2.

No one at the dealership wants to ride it, which is good. I too never let anyone ride my H2 triple.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"Even the local dealer and the mechanic declined a test ride and they are both into racing ZX10's etc. Have no idea why...".Yep,same here.Offered all the guys at the shop including the owner.They're probably afraid they'll somehow wreck it and have to replace it?It's just a bike.They all ride the same....????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts