Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
This is going to be a long wait til May

... Does anyone know the weights and sizes of the wheels and battery? For Lithium batteries they claim "- This saves an average of 1~2 Kg.. for dirt bikes, 3~4 Kg. lbs. for street bikes and 5~8 Kg.. for touring bikes and cruisers." That's worth having.

I'm guessing the stock battery is close to the 7-8 lbs mark? For the ZX-12R the numbers are 3 Vs 8 lbs / 1.34 Vs 3.6 Kilos. Just about compensates for my Christmas binge eating.
Sorry just read the BST wheel specs and it looks like a set saves about 8 lbs. So the wheels and battery can save about 12-13 lbs - Answered my own questions. Does that theory work out in practice?

·
Registered
836 Posts
The biggest saving is that dustbin silencer , it's shockingly heavy and the UK fitted akro to my eye looks right for the H2 , when I look at polished metal silencers they don't look right to me now .
Leave the tool kit out and maybe change the battery as its all high up weight but unless you are built like a whippet the biggest saving will nearly always be the rider , I would have to spend around three thousand in carbon fibre , battery , change the already lighter than average wheels for carbon and if you really want to go all out get rid of the single sided swinging arm but as I'm about 14 to 18 lb overweight I'll save my money and ride without my full wallet .

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hi,
This is going to be a long wait til May

... Does anyone know the weights and sizes of the wheels and battery? For Lithium batteries they claim "- This saves an average of 1~2 Kg.. for dirt bikes, 3~4 Kg. lbs. for street bikes and 5~8 Kg.. for touring bikes and cruisers." That's worth having.

I'm guessing the stock battery is close to the 7-8 lbs mark? For the ZX-12R the numbers are 3 Vs 8 lbs / 1.34 Vs 3.6 Kilos. Just about compensates for my Christmas binge eating.
Sorry just read the BST wheel specs and it looks like a set saves about 8 lbs. So the wheels and battery can save about 12-13 lbs - Answered my own questions. Does that theory work out in practice?
Redshift,

It's not just about the reduction in weight of the wheels... it's about WHERE the weight is removed FROM the wheels. This article is translated from an independent German magazine test, but it shows how a reduced MOI can improve all aspects of riding (acceleration, cornering, braking).

Brocks Performance: Aftermarket Wheel Shootout feat. BST Wheels by PS Magazine

Brock

Of course, we can all get skinny also... but DANG, that's a bunch of work ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brock, a good write up.
" Obviously a bike requires certain stabilizing gyroscopic forces to quietly draw his path. "Our wheels require a different chassis set-up, especially more compression damping," ... "Easy to install and get started rarely works.""

The biggest saving is that dustbin silencer , it's shockingly heavy ...
That's for sure, ugly design. I don't see the point of that over elaborate seat or the flakes in the paint either.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's certainly true that a reduction in unsprung weight is more beneficial than a similar reduction in bodyweight.

Just keep eating the pies and get some BST wheels. :)
Yes Bob that's true but only in the handling characteristics of the bike but really the H2 is built for insane acceleration and pie eating is the enemy of this bike .
YouTube is awash with videos of fat H2 owners getting their arses kicked with lesser bikes, so put those pork pies away and decline that Christmas pudding with cream and go fly .

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes Bob.........
YouTube is awash with videos of fat H2 owners getting their arses kicked with lesser bikes, so put those pork pies away and decline that Christmas pudding with cream and go fly .
True but I wasn't talking about THOSE guys. I was referring to the benefits of unsprung weight reduction compared to sprung weight for a normal 190 pounder like me. ;) Please don't take me too seriously, especially at this time of year.

It's not only the handling through bends that benefits from an unsprung weight reduction. For us LSR riders there is a gain in acceleration worth having.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I met a Busa owner at party last night and he has ceramic brake rotors. They weigh 0.6 kilos Vs 1.6 for the standard issue, saving 2.0 Kilos for the pair. He said they were made in the U.S. on a US Air Force patent but they went bust. Anyone know of another source? They cost him $ 1,000 each and he reckons they are worth it just on durability alone.

Just knocked up the River Mark in 3D, going to do some 3D printing and make a silver money clip.

Happy New Year!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I met a Busa owner at party last night and he has ceramic brake rotors. They weigh 0.6 kilos Vs 1.6 for the standard issue, saving 2.0 Kilos for the pair. He said they were made in the U.S. on a US Air Force patent but they went bust. Anyone know of another source? They cost him $ 1,000 each and he reckons they are worth it just on durability alone.

Just knocked up the River Mark in 3D, going to do some 3D printing and make a silver money clip.

Happy New Year!
Check with Lyndall Brakes lyndall brakes they make some amazing rotors. We use them in the Harley world, but they make sportbike sizes also. Their site is not updated. You need to get Paul on the phone. They can make just about anything.

FYI: We had 13" Lyndall floating rotors with dual 4 piston Brembo's and BST's on a bagger project with S&S last year: S&S Cycle Project Dragon Custom Motorcycle FIRST RIDE Review, Photos, Specs: Power Bagger: S&S?s 160-horse Harley Road Glide Ultra is the most obscene sleeper bike on the planet. It ran 9's in the 1/4 mile and I could da*n-near do a stoppie with it. The bike saw thousands of street miles and the rotors looked like new at the end of the season.

Brock

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well with my BST wheels and a bunch of other carbon fiber goodies and titanium hardware the bike is down to 448 lbs with no fuel.....I'm still looking for a little more weight savings....lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the information Brock. I just phoned Paul. He will send me some info and pricing on the 320mm rotors and matching pads for the Brembos & BST wheels which he may have off the shelf.
I'll post what he sends ASAP.

2 Kilos spinning that fast is a lot gyro force so cornering should feel better let alone the braking benefits themselves.

448 lbs sounds very good!
Another kilo saving is available with the mods made on the 2016 clutch:

this source is anecdotal - sorry to double post this but it is relevant here; Ninja H2?2016???????

"The material of the clutch hub seems to have 1kg lighter change from iron to aluminum."

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thank you for the information Brock. I just phoned Paul. He will send me some info and pricing on the 320mm rotors and matching pads for the Brembos & BST wheels which he may have off the shelf.
I'll post what he sends ASAP.

2 Kilos spinning that fast is a lot gyro force so cornering should feel better let alone the braking benefits themselves.

448 lbs sounds very good!
Another kilo saving is available with the mods made on the 2016 clutch:

this source is anecdotal - sorry to double post this but it is relevant here; Ninja H2?2016???????

"The material of the clutch hub seems to have 1kg lighter change from iron to aluminum."
Yeah I'm looking at ordering one also...I gave my dealer the green light to get it on order...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Here is a shot of the ceramic rotors and the pads from Lyndall Brakes. The price he mentioned was $675 a disk. The weight is under 2 lbs vs 4.7 for stock.

Yeah i talked to Paul also and he wants me to send him my rotors so he can match them up.....

·
Registered
787 Posts
These ceramic rotors are delicious. Wasn't aware they were available for bikes. Making me wonder what ditching the abs pump et all will save. Will have some weights of bits coming online v soon.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Holy those rotors arnt cheap LOL!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Holy those rotors arnt cheap LOL!
No but I'm really wondering how it will improve the handling and the left to right transissions.....that's really what I'm looking for.... I want to get her as close to my ZX10R as I can..... I'm jumping in! Gotta try them out.....:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry just read the BST wheel specs and it looks like a set saves about 8 lbs. So the wheels and battery can save about 12-13 lbs....
....It's not just about the reduction in weight of the wheels... it's about WHERE the weight is removed FROM the wheels....
This ^^^^
I wrote this on another forum a few years ago it seemed to strike accord with some. Hope this helps.
1 wheel peel said:
Synk and Erixgx both make very good points. But it goes beyond unsprung weight or even the weight of the wheel. When it comes to wheels it's all about Moment of Inertia unless you are just shopping for looks/bling.

What is Moment of Inertia? "Moment of inertia," or MOI, is a property of physics that indicates the relative difference in how easy or difficult it will be to set any object in motion about a defined axis of rotation (the axel for us). The higher the MOI of an object, the more force will have to be applied to set that object in a rotational motion (ie needs more hp/tq or input at the HB). Conversely, the lower the MOI, the less force needed to make the object rotate about an axis. Total weight is not the only factor in determining MOI.

Think of a spinning ice skater. At the beginning of the spin, the skater extends her arms and the rotation speed is slow. As the skater pulls her arms in closer to her body, the speed of the spin greatly increases (she didn't suddenly lose weight). When the arms are extended, the skater's Moment of Inertia is very high, and the result is a slower spin because the high MOI of the skater is resisting the speed of rotation. Conversely, the reason the spin speed increases when the skater pulls in her arms is that as the arms get closer to her body, the skater's MOI falls lower and lower, creating less resistance to the rotation.

The same occurs when comparing carbon wheels to cast or forged wheels. The vast majority of what weight does exist does so in the form of the hub and bearings. The actual spokes and rim/lip weighs next to nothing.

More reading here if you like.
http://www.blackstonetek.com/inertia.html
Hoop It Up: Sportbike Wheel Comparison | Sport Rider
Oh and you can bloody well bet I drank the koolaid. :geek: :laugh:
Just waiting on rubber and rotors. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Somefun, Did you send your rotors off to Paul Lyndall to get matched up for ceramics? I should have something to put them on in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey Somefun, Did you send your rotors off to Paul Lyndall to get matched up for ceramics? I should have something to put them on in about 3 weeks.
I didn't yet Red work has had me going crazy..... Hope to remove them this week and ship them out.....what did you do for patter and color?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts