Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been covered but is anyone using this to prevent knock and cool inlet charge temps? What kits are recommended for reliability? I know in porsches many were using AEM as it has many fail safes built in

·
Registered
891 Posts
Really?? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you haven't noticed all the threads & posts on intercoolers?..
or am I missing something in your post?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm not talking about intercooler, did I miss spell water/methanol?
Vmax Don Guhl has made one and tested it. He had said it worked very well for sure. I'm not sure if he's going to sell they but you might want to start there. Dons very good guy...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Really?? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you haven't noticed all the threads & posts on intercoolers?..
or am I missing something in your post?
Really ??? ( yes really ) I don't mean to sound like a jerk, (too late ) but you haven't noticed all the threads on inter coolers?.. ( I have but what's that got to do with it ? or am I missing something in your post ? ( err yes ) ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm not talking about intercooler, did I miss spell water/methanol?
ok obviously I'm the one who is missing something here. So what is the water/meth used for if not to cool the boost?

edit to add an apology for being an idiot, sorry Vmax. but I am still interested in learning what you are talking about.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an alternative or an aswell as with ic. Water cools air inlet temps and meth helps control knock. No need to apologise, I'm very thick skinned:)

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I know the topic has been discussed in helter-skelter fashion in many different threads, and I know I've seen pics on facebook, but I'm not sure it has ever been all put in one place.

In another thread there was discussion of the pluses and minuses to either intercooling or water/meth. Water/meth has an extra fluid level that you need to keep topped up because it obviously will use some. Intercooling, if properly put together, should be fuss-free. Water/meth needs some sort of failsafe against (1) running out of fluid, (2) pump stops working, (3) pump continues running when it shouldn't (potential for hydro-locking the engine). (actually with both methods one needs to bear in mind that if the system fails, the engine reverts back to stock i.e. non-intercooled, and the tuning has to be such that this does not cause a major failure). But water/meth can be taken much further than intercooling can, in terms of cooling down the internals of the engine.

My viewpoint: Daily-driver, has to be reliable? Roadrace/endurance application? Tuning leans towards mild rather than wild? Intercooler. Crazy drag bike or dyno queen or short-run top-speed tests? Water-meth.

·
Registered
674 Posts
GoFaster, personally i would call the intercooler/water methanol use the other way around as long as the intercooler system is big enough

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have it installed on my bike but really haven't had a need for it. I only run Q16 in my bike so my IAT's haven't been high enough to warrant the use but I'm also not out doing 10 mile rollons either.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It was 100F here in FL. last week and ONE pull thru the gears and it was 225F IAT :(

.... and that was not even at the dyno!

·
Registered
206 Posts
It was 100F here in FL. last week and ONE pull thru the gears and it was 225F IAT :(

.... and that was not even at the dyno!
You running meth? I went out here in Jersey yesterday to check the bike out and got on it pretty hard but never saw 200 anything

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nope, but i am looking into it or intercooling or both.

.... and i don't even have SC gears!
I think for a daily ridden bike an intercooler is the best option but for people like me that drag with an occasional street run, Meth is more than enough as long as you monitor it. I never got an intercooler because the price and I didn't like the quality of what was available at the time. Down the line I may get an intercooler but as of right now I don't need one and I'm on Stage 3 gears. If you do decide Meth hit up Don Guhl for the kit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think for a daily ridden bike an intercooler is the best option but for people like me that drag with an occasional street run, Meth is more than enough as long as you monitor it. I never got an intercooler because the price and I didn't like the quality of what was available at the time. Down the line I may get an intercooler but as of right now I don't need one and I'm on Stage 3 gears. If you do decide Meth hit up Don Guhl for the kit.
Thanks for your input.

I spoke with Don this morning about my options.

He is a wealth of information!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I love reading the technical bits on this forum, however, sometimes I get a bit confused, or I'm a bit thick, or, perhaps both;) but why would do you need to go to the extent of inter-coolers and variants of for riding on the road (thats street to you guys across the pond:))

Didnt Kawasaki build the bike correct for standard riding

Rob

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@zxrob

Yes, they built it very very well, for stock exhaust, no flash, and certainly no gears. Then heat is not an issue. The moment you deviate from the tested and reliable parameters the engineers set up, heat becomes an issue.

I still have a hard time saying out loud to people that I am thinking of putting meth on my bike. People who don't know think you are a crackhead.

NOLA

1 - 20 of 51 Posts