Ninja H2 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been sent home from work due to the coronavirus so I decided to get out the H2 and give it the cleaning, detailing of it’s life , it already looked showroom clean but I went into every nook and cranny, each hole in the brake rotors , underneath the guards etc to get it almost indistinguishable from a brand new bike .
I stood back to admire my work and went inside for coffee and snacks , when I returned the entire bike was covered in fresh dust kicked up by a tractor in the field beside me using a powered crumble bar to prepare for drilling .

The bike must have been statically charged as the paintwork was almost brown in the sunshine with its new coat of sharp dry clay dust . Not the end of the world but very frustrating! Out with the hose and start again today .
After a few weeks of this I may even be glad of it getting dirty just to occupy myself , I would have been doing my GS1000S restoration but the frame painter with all my parts is in lock down .
See engine ready for frame .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ah geez!Fk'n drag man.I'd be so pissed.How about a grass blower to it next time instead of a double water wash.That sucks.Probably wouldn't get it totally back spotless.But close enough to dab the stubborn areas.Mine's inside.And yeah,I never leave the garage door open when cleaning.Good job though on the 'first' go round;)
Lol.I thought mine was clean,until I put a flashlight on it around the inner parts.Pretty bad(to me).Guess I have a new project as well!!!!.Hate a dirty masterpiece!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah geez!Fk'n drag man.I'd be so pissed.How about a grass blower to it next time instead of a double water wash.That sucks.Probably wouldn't get it totally back spotless.But close enough to dab the stubborn areas.Mine's inside.And yeah,I never leave the garage door open when cleaning.Good job though on the 'first' go round;)
Lol.I thought mine was clean,until I put a flashlight on it around the inner parts.Pretty bad(to me).Guess I have a new project as well!!!!.Hate a dirty masterpiece!
Thanks Silverbird , it was so clean on the "first clean " I didn’t even need water just a damp cloth and waxed it again but it was so dusty after the tractor it needed the hose pipe , at first it washed over the dust without lifting it from the paintwork . I know what you’re saying about the flash light (torch in GB ) the H2 is a total dust trap .

Cleaning your H2 inside will make it look spotless UNTIL you bring it out into the sunlight , if it looks good in bright sunshine it will look showroom clean inside ( unless tractor man gets to it first )

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
How's your paint surface doing?I'm guessing you have a 2015.

I went online and found a dual action polisher(Griot's)...and several finishing pads.Then got the Griot's Garage swirl polish(there's two types,I got both.Best results with the 'fast correcting cream').Plus the finishing polish.This will take ALL the swirls out.And I mean ALL if you spend some time doing it as recommended.I was AMAZED how clear and bright and 'swirlless' the paint was after doing this.I got the 3 inch polisher.Griot's Garage website.

A regular orbital won't remove those fine marks in there.Gotta say,it looks showroom bright.Course,ya have to do it every once in a while.From flashing a torch on the paint and seeing the marks to doing that and seeing ZERO marks.Awesome.What a difference.Doesn't take too long to get it done.Just gotta cover everything(especially the cockpit when doing the tank) you're not wanting tiny polish droplets on.It will throw a bit if it's over applied on the pads.And on close by items.

Best paint treating package I've ever used...especially for THIS paint.

Maybe check em out online.No BS.I honestly was AMAZED at the finished bike.Totally worth it.

Check out this guy with Autogeek...Mike Phillips.Did mine like he explains in some of his videos.Worked perfect.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes , it’s a 2015 but to be honest I’ve not done enough miles on it to expect and deterioration of the paintwork( under 4000) as I have been super carful from day one . Inevitably on very close inspection you could find the odd smallest of fine scratches in the lacquer but no swirling so far .
I will maybe use your recommendation one day but I’m years away from it needing to be "cut back " , don’t you worry if you keep doing it you will go through the lacquer (top coat ? )

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Mine's a 2015 too. The paint is perfect because I never ever polish it with a circular action.

Owning a very shiny black car helped, also I remembered what I was told by someone who used to be a Rolls Royce chauffeur. He said polish back and forth, not round and round. Obviously you don't polish until every piece of dirt and dust has been washed off. I use Autoglym.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
'don’t you worry if you keep doing it you will go through the lacquer (top coat ? )'

Nah.It's a very light touch with the pads that are made to protect the clearcoat.Plus it's dual action,so it doesn't just spin on one radius.I only do it maybe twice a year.I ride mine a lot so it does get some marks on the tank.Mostly from having fine dust get pushed into the clear when regularly cleaning after a ride.I use water only on it,but it still can get swirls.
The polisher has several speeds so there's no danger of overdoing it unless ya just go all out without thinking what yer doin.The polisher will stop rotating if there's too much pressure on it.That's the good thing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I meticulously cleaned mine before I put it away for winter (Last November), the cover and old duvets havnt been off it since, cant ride it but its getting fired up the weekend, our street is way to quiet:), I imagine I will be accosted by around 20 police officers shortly after

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts