Ninja H2 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
That would be BoostedH2's run at Loring this past weekend.

It's waaayy too early to know what broke it. Maybe it dropped a valve. Maybe the rod failed from overstress and fatigue. Right now, no one knows anything other than "it went boom".

I know his bike had the Don Guhl reflash, sped-up supercharger (not sure by how much) and the MCC first-generation intercooler. I also know that it has had many, many dragstrip runs and top-speed runs up to this point and has had a pretty darn hard life, and that the engine itself has not been apart until this rapid unscheduled disassembly happened.

You can only push things so far before they break.

Hopefully Boosted chips in with more info and findings.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sad to hear she grenaded.Interesting though...I woke up earlier thinking "I haven't heard of 1 H2 or H2R exploding...pretty good record so far". WOW.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ouch not good. but as said if it's had a hard life

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A bad thing to happen. Good that he got the clutch in quickly but he should also have got off the racing line as soon as possible to preserve the track.

Do those who run their H2 with a higher 14,000rpm limit realise that they should probably be performing the H2R service schedules?

Very much reduced running time before major engine work.

·
Registered
891 Posts
oh that sound made me cringe..
I hope I never hear it again.

Reactions: ayjayef

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do those who run their H2 with a higher 14,000rpm limit realise that they should probably be performing the H2R service schedules?
Very much reduced running time before major engine work.
The H2R has an hour counter, 15 hours till the first service and it only counts hours over 8000rpm.

I would be surprised if many "straight-line" H2's are seeing a lot more than 15 hours at those revs between services. BoostedH2's bike even with drag and LSR track time might not be anywhere near the 15 hours as that's a LOT of few minute runs.

I do agree that more power, more modifications means more servicing (and deeper servicing) but the H2R schedule probably isn't enough to keep a motor together.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The H2R has an hour counter, 15 hours till the first service and it only counts hours over 8000rpm.

I would be surprised if many "straight-line" H2's are seeing a lot more than 15 hours at those revs between services. BoostedH2's bike even with drag and LSR track time might not be anywhere near the 15 hours as that's a LOT of few minute runs.

I do agree that more power, more modifications means more servicing (and deeper servicing) but the H2R schedule probably isn't enough to keep a motor together.
In that case an even stricter maintenance schedule (than the H2R) may be called for when an H2's being used in regular competition.

My bike's coming towards the end of it's third season of LSR now and has probably done more standing mile runs than most. Even though I've retained the 13,000 rev' limit this post is of more than passing interest to me.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Race teams have been tearing engines down after nearly every race weekend for years, and for good reason. Someone who rides as hard as BoostedH2 should have that engine apart at least twice a season.

I feel that a lot of uninformed people on Facebook who really have no in depth knowledge of a motorcycle are making broad assumptions and coming to wrong conclusions. The fact that BoostedH2 hit 10,000 miles without ever servicing the engine internals (given the way he rides) is EXCEPTIONAL, and says something about Kawasaki's build quality.

If I were a dictator, I would use electric shock therapy to train stupid people out of their stupidity. Whenever they say something stupid -- BZZZzzzzzzzzTT!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes it was an unfortunate incident that could have been much worse. I want everyone to know that this bike was raced virtually every weekend over the past 2 years. Over 300+ passes at the track, 10k miles, 50+ in the standing mile, several 1.5 mile pulls, and countless times of having fun on the road. I used and abused this bike, so I have no anger towards the motor going boom. Believe any other stock motor bike making this power would have been done a long time ago.

Supercharger temp 160+ could that of killed it.
That was coolant temperature, and 160f is low for intake temperature on this bike for such a long pull.

Commiserations to @Boosted10R

Happy to see you didn't dump a sump full of oil under the back tyre and congrats on grabbing the clutch so quick!
Thanks. I got completely covered in oil and coolant, and yes it coated the bike tire pretty good. It was quite sketchy lol.

A bad thing to happen. Good that he got the clutch in quickly but he should also have got off the racing line as soon as possible to preserve the track.

Curious have you ever experienced a situation like this at 190mph? I knew right away the bike blew a hole in the block the second I got coated in oil and coolant, and the most important thing is your safety, not about trying to stop quickly on the track for everyone else. Car is a different story, but grabbing a bunch of brake and trying to get off the racing line with oil all over your rear tire would be a stupid move and I could have easily wiped out. People can run on the opposite side of the centre line afterwards!

I am also well aware of maintenance that is required, and the plan was for a tear down and refresh this winter given the amount of abuse it took.

Reactions: Seecamp380
1 - 17 of 17 Posts