Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some pics taken just now while installing the exhaust. The only tough part was getting the headers all the way into the collectors. But came out great. Still have to torque the exhaust flanges, button up a couple of other things, put the radiator back in, fairings, etc.

Definitely don't put on all 4 downtubes & then try to fit both collectors. Finger tight the 2 left downtubes, install the collector & then the other 2 downtubes & the collector. If you try & do it all at once gives you much less room to work & getting them on as far as they'd go was a little tough but took my time & managed it. My 17 year old son helped me remove the radiator.

Tomorrow once she buttoned up I'll post some finished pics but have a lot to post already. Can't wait to start it & take a ride, I'm so close. Have to remember to clean the pipes before I start it, to get rid of all the dirt & smudges on there from my hands. Installed the 2016 super charged logo plate too. Have carbon fiber (ram air tube, dash panels, etc.) that's going on when I put it back together.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats cool to know it dose not look to hard to do myself was it hard to remove the faring i have removed the headers and wrapped them but looks easy to take the radiator off. So what is it better to bolt each header a time?

·
Registered
702 Posts
So what is it better to bolt each header a time?
Yes, the radiator is easy to remove. One header at a time, then hand tighten the flanges until the entire system is installed. Tighten to final torque specs after everything is in place.

Light torque on the flanges so as not to warp them. Titanium is a soft metal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats cool to know it dose not look to hard to do myself was it hard to remove the faring i have removed the headers and wrapped them but looks easy to take the radiator off. So what is it better to bolt each header a time?
The fairings aren't hard to remove & they get easier each time you do it, the only pita is the rectifier plugs in the left middle fairing, if the wire was like one inch longer it would make removing them a lot easier. You have to push the plugs lock button in & pull them out while reaching between the bike & inside of the fairing, without pulling on the wires that the plug is attached to. For the top dash panels once you have all the Allen bolts out there's a post that pops out of a rubber grommet, feel for where that is & pull up from the underside. Same w/ the ram air tube there's a post that pushes into a grommet. Keep track of what bolts go where, many look similar but with different lengths & watch when you remove the smaller Allen bolts that you don't drop the small plastic washers. Also there's some spacer washers for the fairings, look for those too & the steel ones that fit into the front of the frame, they can drop out once the fairing is off.

The radiator isn't difficult to remove but definitely best if you have someone help once you're ready to drop it out of the bike. Tape up cardboard to both sides of the radiator. The hoses connecting the water pipes to the radiator were a little challenge but not bad. Tried to remove the radiator hoses first before loosening the radiator & that didn't work so I unbolted the lower & upper radiator bolts, unplugged the fans, moved the hose clamps then while my son held the radiator wiggled the hoses & radiator free without tools, didn't want to hurt the hoses or pipe. I installed a new DNA filter since I was removing the ram air tube anyway.

The exhaust - I worked on fitting the collectors from the right side of the bike because it's situated to the right side & dont have a lift, also found it easier to do on the side stand than rear stand. You don't want to install the collectors onto the headers first although it would seem easier to do it that way because you want the headers to sit in the right spot where they meet the new copper gaskets. But instead of fitting & hand tightening all 4 downtubes first then trying to fit both collectors I individually fit & hand tightened the 2 left down tubes & fit their collector & then the 2 right downtubes hand tightened & then their collector. So it's just easier, gives you more room to fit the left collector if you do that one first without having the 2 right down tubes in the way. This accomplishes the same thing as having the system "find its relaxed & unloaded working center" because you're not fitting the collectors until the downtubes are in place, just makes it slightly easier.

Definitely need WD40. Found a rocking motion works best to get the collectors onto the down tubes. Because it takes some work to get the downtubes to go all the way into the collectors; measure exactly how far the down tubes are supposed to fit into the collectors by measuring how far it is into the collector before the internal lip & then make a mark on the downtubes so you know when they have gone in all the way to the stop. If you don't you'll be wondering if they are pushed in all the way.

New OEM gaskets, put a little grease on one side so they stay in place. Once the whole system is together but before putting in the mid pipe bolt or muffler bracket/bolt torque the header flange bolts to 17 Nm/13 ft lbs & I followed the tightening sequence in the service manual although the sequence is probably more for the OEM one piece headers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok then cool i was looking at the pictures and see the headers are not one piece like the zx10r is and you think it's better to run the bike in with stock Exhaust system first??

·
Registered
702 Posts
LoL! But you're still the man Nate, weren't for you I wouldn't have it yet.

@ PETERS - Thanks!

hahahahha no problem boss.

Please post up when you hear it run for the first time and take it up the block. hahahahahahahaha I wanna hear your impressions. It's friggin' Thunder! crackle crackle BOOM!

I don't know a single soul who's left the noise reducer plug installed. hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Reading all that sounds like a big job but I should be ok doing it when I got my zx10r it was a track bike no road gear or any bolts and clips so I should be ok

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looks awesome! probably sounds even better.
is that your Ferrari back there?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
WTF, I am not sure what radiator and pipes they had on YOUR bike, but I can tell you that the majority of time I spent on getting the dammed pipes free from the radiator. I cursed them so much I had to stop and step away for a bit. Glad yours werent angry like mine.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WTF, I am not sure what radiator and pipes they had on YOUR bike, but I can tell you that the majority of time I spent on getting the dammed pipes free from the radiator. I cursed them so much I had to stop and step away for a bit. Glad yours werent angry like mine.

NOLA

LoL! The hoses on the pipes were by far the hardest part to remove on the radiator, not the pipe clamps which were simple to open, loosen & move but the rubber hoses that connect the upper water pipe to the radiator on the right & lower hose on the left. First tried with the radiator still mounted but didn't want to use any tools on the hoses so that was a no go, wasted a pretty good amount of time though trying it like that before I realized they weren't going to budge without doing something different.

Figured out the only way to get them off was to completely disconnect the top & bottom radiator bolts, fan connections so the only thing still attached to the radiator was the hoses & while my son held the radiator on one side of the bike I pushed on the radiator towards the front of the bike while at the same time pulling the hose back, rocking it forward & back,,, popped off in a couple of minutes but took some muscle, once I did that on one side the other side came off quickly w/ same method... Just have to be really careful not to hit the front fender, damage the radiator, etc. Taped up both sides of the radiator with cardboard.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Reactions: STRADALE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very nicely done and great info about your process. I also am jealous of your garage and associated toys. Just have to wait for my 2017 to get delivered.... hmmmm maybe I should order a van demon and see which one gets delivered first ��

1 - 20 of 35 Posts