Ninja H2 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New to this forum. I’ve had a 2016 H2 for about 6 months now. Finally ordered the Vandemon exhaust along with DNA filter and FTECU. Need some help as I couldn’t find the answer by searching anywhere. I have the stock exhaust unbolted and hanging on by the cables toward the back. Not sure what these are for and I can’t find an easy way to remove them as they run up under the seat area and attached by some sort of spring loaded cable. Not sure what to do. I have everything else ready to go. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks again!

JD

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi everyone! New to this forum. I’ve had a 2016 H2 for about 6 months now. Finally ordered the Vandemon exhaust along with DNA filter and FTECU. Need some help as I couldn’t find the answer by searching anywhere. I have the stock exhaust unbolted and hanging on by the cables toward the back. Not sure what these are for and I can’t find an easy way to remove them as they run up under the seat area and attached by some sort of spring loaded cable. Not sure what to do. I have everything else ready to go. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks again!

JD

Hi JD, I can't see your picture but it sounds like you are referring to the Exhaust butterfly cables. If so, you'll need to pull off the fuel tank to remove them. Refer to the Ninja H2 Service manual for the correct procedure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JD, I can't see your picture but it sounds like you are referring to the Exhaust butterfly cables. If so, you'll need to pull off the fuel tank to remove them. Refer to the Ninja H2 Service manual for the correct procedure.
****. Didn’t see anyone anywhere mention removing the gas tank. Looks like I have some work to do. Thanks for the reply Turbo. You are the main reason I bought this exhaust. Watching your videos made me envious. Plus the guys at Vandemon we’re super helpful! Cheers!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You sure about removing the gas tank? Working on it now and it seems to be quite a project. What did you do with the cables on your exhaust install? It’s the ones about 12 inches behind the original O2 sensor..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Here is the picture. It?s the contraption in the middle I am talking about.
Yep. Those are the culprits. Remove the gas tank and slide those up through the frame.. Once you get the tank off it will all make sense. It's best to remove them altogether.

Take your time and go sssslllllloooooooooooowwwwww. ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Or, option two is leave them.

If you remove the bolt on top, then the weird semi flat washer, you can hold the flap open and remove both cables after you loosen the small nuts. If you dont want to take the tank off just tuck them on top of the area where the bottom of the frame is and zip tie them there, in case you ever put the stock exhaust back on to sell or return to the dealer for some craziness. If the servo is turned off via your flash, it wont move them at all.

Just a second option.

NOLA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got the exhaust installed. You were right, the tank wasn?t as bad as I thought and the rest went on smoothly. Now my issue is the ECU flash. Got the FTECU from Velox racing. I have installed everything exactly as instructed but when I go to write the ECU, it says ?error: no init response.? This has been such a headache, should have just paid someone to do it lol.
The only harness I haven?t installed is the OBD KDS harness (not sure what this is for). I got the activetune bike side kit and have the new O2 sensor and Lambda in place as well. Anyone know what might the issue be? I followed the ECU connector assembly and rechecked it twice to make sure I was putting all the wires in the right place. And the Lambda is grounded to the frame so I know that?s not the issue. Like I said, I?ve checked two or three times over and still can?t figure out why it?s not flashing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
So I got the exhaust installed. You were right, the tank wasn?t as bad as I thought and the rest went on smoothly. Now my issue is the ECU flash. Got the FTECU from Velox racing. I have installed everything exactly as instructed but when I go to write the ECU, it says ?error: no init response.? This has been such a headache, should have just paid someone to do it lol.
The only harness I haven?t installed is the OBD KDS harness (not sure what this is for). I got the activetune bike side kit and have the new O2 sensor and Lambda in place as well. Anyone know what might the issue be? I followed the ECU connector assembly and rechecked it twice to make sure I was putting all the wires in the right place. And the Lambda is grounded to the frame so I know that?s not the issue. Like I said, I?ve checked two or three times over and still can?t figure out why it?s not flashing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
I don't have my bike yet but I plan to use the FTECU so I have no experience with it. But I am a software/firmware engineer and I have flashed other ECUs with other equipment.
BUT it sounds like you don't have power to the ECU.
Check the instructions carefully about powering up the ECU, I saw somewhere that there is a kit for powering it up on the bench and if you don't have that kit, the ECU must be plugged into the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am able to start the bike so I would assume the ECU has power (I think). But the bench kit is wired into the ECU in certain places. I?ve checked that with the diagram supplied by Velox online and all is good there to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I am able to start the bike so I would assume the ECU has power (I think). But the bench kit is wired into the ECU in certain places. I?ve checked that with the diagram supplied by Velox online and all is good there to my knowledge.
So you are saying that the ECU is still connected to the bike?
When you are trying to flash is the key on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea the way the activetune works, it links it via wifi. No plug goes into the ECU. It stays on the bike with the bike side harness attached and I turn it on to link them once I have the USB plugged into the computer. At least that?s how the videos I watched works. Guess I should have just got the normal flash that you plug in and skipped the O2 sensor/activetune and I could have saved myself from this confusion!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yea the way the activetune works, it links it via wifi. No plug goes into the ECU. It stays on the bike with the bike side harness attached and I turn it on to link them once I have the USB plugged into the computer. At least that?s how the videos I watched works. Guess I should have just got the normal flash that you plug in and skipped the O2 sensor/activetune and I could have saved myself from this confusion!
I wish I was more familiar with the hookup and better able to help you. But alas I have never even seen an H2 in the flesh and mine won't be shipped until March.
But maybe me asking a question might spur something. If the activetune connects via WiFi what is it talking to? Your computer? And if so doesn't it have to connect via the router like any other WiFi device?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm not familiar with the FTECU setup, but I know with my Woolich kit I encountered an error because there is a plug in the tail that you have to wire in the harness to, and there is an identical plug in the tail that you could connect it to. In my case, the correct plug was buried WAY deep in the tail so I had to really get in there to find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turbo, it says ?Error: No Init Response.? I have the activetune along with bike side kit installed. Everything else is hooked up except the radiator from the exhaust install. Mike is trying to help me out as well but still can?t figure out the issue (probably user error). The only thing I can think of is I can?t plug the USB harness into the bike side harness as they are two different four-prong attachments. Am I supposed to plug them in to flash the ECU? If so, there?s my problem. I know with the standard flash, you do. But people online with the activetune seem to not have to. Long story short: I?m beyond confused and should have just bought the regular tune with PC5 as that?s what I had on my last bike and it worked no issues at all.

PS: enjoy Thor. My wife and I will be watching it once the initial rush cools down at the theaters!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Turbo, it says ?Error: No Init Response.? I have the activetune along with bike side kit installed. Everything else is hooked up except the radiator from the exhaust install. Mike is trying to help me out as well but still can?t figure out the issue (probably user error). The only thing I can think of is I can?t plug the USB harness into the bike side harness as they are two different four-prong attachments. Am I supposed to plug them in to flash the ECU? If so, there?s my problem. I know with the standard flash, you do. But people online with the activetune seem to not have to. Long story short: I?m beyond confused and should have just bought the regular tune with PC5 as that?s what I had on my last bike and it worked no issues at all.

PS: enjoy Thor. My wife and I will be watching it once the initial rush cools down at the theaters!
I'm not too familiar with that error code but it sounds as if something is not hooked up correctly. I used the bench kit with the supplied harness instead of the on-bike kit.

Try reinstalling the harness and give it another shot. Otherwise, call Flashtune direct when they open. They are on pacific standard time since they're in Cali I believe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts