Ninja H2 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if you can retrofit a 2016 bike with an auto downshift ? Can this be done by changing the shift sensor without re-flashing the ECU and losing your warranty ?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
277 Posts
Two options:

1. Get a ZX10R quickshifter and have the Guhl flash.

2. Get a Woolich flash setup and install a Cordona shift sensor

Either way you're technically invalidating warranty but I'd be very shocked if a shop turned you down because of it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a regular Guhl flash and a 2016 zx10r so if i borrowed the shifter from my 2016 zx10r and put it on my H2 it would work up and down, or does Guhl need to make more changes to the flash?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I thought someone had an auto Blipper available using the 2017 H2 shifter.
I have a '16. My mechanic bought the '17 OEM QS rod/sensor and successfully installed it on my bike. My bike has FlashTune and he had to get an additional update to make the auto blip engage. But it works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone, so is the ECU programming just enabling the function in the ECU or does it need to be fully configured and set up ? If it is just enabling a function in the ECU then Kawasaki should be able to do this for me and I could use a 2017 shifter sensor.

Reason I asked this was because I had previously searched the forums (NOLA lol) but I couldn't confirm if it is possible to do this without an aftermarket ECU tune.

Need to find a way without the aftermarket tune is because in the UK Kawasaki can void the warranty on certain components unless you can prove that the ECU changes did not cause any extra stresses or load to be put on the components causing the failure, the warranty claims are not guaranteed if you flash the bike and will in most cases be denied if mods have been done that could in any way have effected the failed part

How they put it to me was that if you flash the ECU and you now make 250hp at the wheel, this puts extra loads onto the engine internals and the gearbox, clutch etc so if you had a failure in one of these areas they will say that it has only failed due to the derestriction and modifications that have been made

This info came directly from Kawasakis technical department (which the dealer put me directly in touch with) and they advised me that two claims in the UK have already been denied in this way since launch so advised me not to do it....

·
Registered
277 Posts
With Flashtune or Woolich you can enable autoblipper without tuning the rest of the bike, but to me that still means that you're flashing your ECU and thus could be grounds for a warranty denial based on what you're saying. If you think not messing with engine performance would do the trick then that is an option, but it just depends on how cautious you are.

·
Registered
891 Posts
live a little bit, build your bike and ring the **** out of her. That is what she was meant for.

Reactions: Lamf1969

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks NOLA that's probably the only option - any ideas where I can find prices for these complete ECU's ? looked at Guhls website and there isn't any mention of H2 ECU units just reflashes ?

have tagged guhl motors to see if they can advise details and costs ...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just gotta call him. You can buy the ECU complete with a flash in it. Plug and play.

Remember you will have to take out the one way bolts holding it in with a little bit of creativity.

NOLA

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if you can retrofit a 2016 bike with an auto downshift ? Can this be done by changing the shift sensor without re-flashing the ECU and losing your warranty ?

Thanks,
Pete
It can be done but you will have to buy the new sensor and get her reflashed

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ecu

@NOLA - any idea if we put our bike back to stock and bough a new ECU, installed it, if it would pass Kawi inspection? or would they know it wasn't the original ECU..? and any idea what new ECUs sell for? just thinking ahead..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hmmm, I would think if you could get someone talented like Guhl to directly emulate the firmware from a stock ECU and then download it to the new blank ECU it would work. I am not sure. Its all basically 1's and 0's, so in theory it would transfer exactly. But Apple is a big company and they cant manage to release an update that doesnt fuk up something on my iPhone with a data transfer, but if I buy a new phone it works fine.

Orrrr...find someone who sold their bike with a flashed ECU and buy their original OEM ECU from them post sale.

NOLA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts