Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after the stage3 mods & throttle mapping I took her out to Chuck Walla Fri/Sat/Sun to see how she felt, and it was amazing! bike felt great and throttle was under control at all times. I monitored boost temps, they were mostly around 200, at 1 point it climbed to 220 so took a cool-off lap around and temps dropped down, no worries. The amazing part is the kid I'm with is professional MotoAmerica racer Benny Solis (holds the lap record at this track) and we did a 1-on-1 personal instruction on Saturday, and Sunday I continued to work on what he showed me. BTW he couldn't believe I could control this bike, LOL. I really learned a lot, it was awesome. Some pretty good pics below, and here's video of me shot from Benny's CBR1000 as he follows and takes notes to review my lines & body position:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats racer awesome pics!

Everytime when i see pics like that im falling in love with this awesome bikes again!!!

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fantastic photos! Any chance you have instagram? Was going to post these to my page if that's ok, and wanted to tag you.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic photos! Any chance you have instagram? Was going to post these to my page if that's ok, and wanted to tag you.
yeah sure go ahead
my Instagram is racer_172
I've NEVER posted to it, but I should start I guess :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ok great. Thanks.

Do believe I remember you from zx10r.net?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do believe I remember you from zx10r.net?
yes you are correct, I recognized your user name as well. I pretty much dropped off the grid when I got my H2 but I've been more active recently as I stripped down my 10 and sold off the good parts on the forum. Here's my 10 as she sits now listed for sale, show-room stock

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Crazy! I did the same thing with mine before I sold it too. Well glad you are still out killing it ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
So you installed Stage 3 gears and have tracked it with no intercooler or meth kit? How's your tuning and timing set? Stock?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you installed Stage 3 gears and have tracked it with no intercooler or meth kit? How's your tuning and timing set? Stock?
Correct. My ignition is not that far advanced, it's close to stock, and it's less than the R model. We've been running FlashTune and it's had 3 dyno runs so far.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Most road courses aren't as hard on an engine as, let's say, top-speed straight-line events. You're not on full throttle for extended periods - especially on something with this much power. The engine has short periods to cool off every time you brake for a corner, and it's not running near max revs full throttle as you go through that corner, either.

There are exceptions, of course. Daytona is hard on engines. So is Mosport, err, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, because of a long uphill back straightaway.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Most road courses aren't as hard on an engine as, let's say, top-speed straight-line events. You're not on full throttle for extended periods - especially on something with this much power. The engine has short periods to cool off every time you brake for a corner, and it's not running near max revs full throttle as you go through that corner, either.

There are exceptions, of course. Daytona is hard on engines. So is Mosport, err, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, because of a long uphill back straightaway.
Speculating a bit but funny cause my perception is it's the other way around. Really about how many miles at what revs & how long at those revs for each.

The circuit track I go to has a 1/2 mile straight, you hit it probably 50 times each day in full throttle in addition to let's say doing 20 minute track sessions 10 times a day, so over 3 hours of hard riding over approximately 100 miles mostly in the top of the rev band but at lower speeds (vs LSR) where there is less air flow/ less engine cooling ..

Vs. A straight line mile event doing only a few 25 second blasts at higher speeds/more air flow/cooling, the bike isn't run long enough to build as much heat. A few runs in a day at full throttle but say you did 6 1 mile long runs that would be only 3 minutes of total run time & only 6 miles + in total.

But if you were saying only one lap at a circuit track vs 1 mile run then I agree.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Speculating a bit but funny cause my perception is it's the other way around. Really about how many miles at what revs & how long at those revs for each.

The circuit track I go to has a 1/2 mile straight, you hit it probably 50 times each day in full throttle in addition to let's say doing 20 minute track sessions 10 times a day, so over 3 hours of hard riding over approximately 100 miles mostly in the top of the rev band but at lower speeds (vs LSR) where there is less air flow/ less engine cooling ..

Vs. A straight line mile event doing only a few 25 second blasts at higher speeds/more air flow/cooling, the bike isn't run long enough to build as much heat. A few runs in a day at full throttle but say you did 6 1 mile long runs that would be only 3 minutes of total run time & only 6 miles + in total.

But if you were saying only one lap at a circuit track vs 1 mile run then I agree.

I've been tempted to head out to NJMP (/Absolute) and ride with you but I feel that Summit suits the bike much better. I don't know how you handled the NJMP chicane on this thing. hahahahahahaha

There are very few "Big Bike" tracks in this country.
- Summit
- Brainerd
- Daytona
- VIR
- Road America
- PBIR

I'm sure there are a handful more but the vast majority of tracks in this country are more suited to 600s and other middleweights.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most road courses aren't as hard on an engine as, let's say, top-speed straight-line events. You're not on full throttle for extended periods - especially on something with this much power. The engine has short periods to cool off every time you brake for a corner, and it's not running near max revs full throttle as you go through that corner, either
This is EXACTLY how my builder/mechanic explained it to me when I first asked if it was going to be safe to ride without an intercooler. He said I should be fine, just watch the boost temp, if it approaching 230f back off, but it needs to be installed before we do any extended land speed runs.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've been tempted to head out to NJMP (/Absolute) and ride with you but I feel that Summit suits the bike much better. I don't know how you handled the NJMP chicane on this thing. hahahahahahaha

There are very few "Big Bike" tracks in this country.
- Summit
- Brainerd
- Daytona
- VIR
- Road America
- PBIR

I'm sure there are a handful more but the vast majority of tracks in this country are more suited to 600s and other middleweights.

You should definitely come out and ride NJMSP Thunderbolt w/ your H2, think you'd love it! I actually have a credit w/ them (Absolute Cycle Experience) from the end of last season, didn't go that day in September because of crummy weather.

It's on AMA's 1000cc Super Stock & Super Bike road racing schedule along w/ VIR, Road America. In the 2016 season from the 9 dates it was the only track run twice, and was the location for the finale.

Daytona is huge & obviously super fast but Thunderbolt is a better track imo for big powerful bikes than the vast majority of tracks in the country & probably even better suited for the H2 then a couple of the tracks you mentioned above. Summit Point is shorter than NJMSP and Summit Point has more, tighter turns.. Of the track you mentioned PBIR is the most similar to the layout of NJMSP Thunderbolt but Thunderbolt is longer & faster.. But agree most tracks are better suited to 600cc or less powerful bikes than the H2. The H2 especially reflashed is pretty much overkill for anything except maybe Daytona.

There's 4 fast/straight sections, the 2nd longest straight is 1/4 mile long w/ sweeping turns in & out. You go into the 1/2 mile straight at 100mph + so you can see speeds on a stock H2 of 180mph. The track is actually perfect for the H2, would really love if we had an H2 track day there next season. If I leave late at night without traffic I throw clothes & my gear in a buddies truck & ride there & back on the bike, it's only 300 miles round trip for me.

One lap at NJMSP Thunderbolt:

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
1/2 mile straight at let's say 120 mph average (if only to make the numbers easier to calculate in my head!!) takes only 15 seconds, and from what that track map looks like, the last few seconds will be on the brakes. It's probably 10-ish seconds at full throttle.

Here's Canadian Tire Motorsports Park a.k.a. Mosport. It's 3/4 mile from corner 5 (slow hairpin) to the start of corner 8 and it also climbs about 120 ft in doing so.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Found an onboard video.

Main straight starts at 2:33, throttle is shut at 2:50 (initial acceleration onto the straight wasn't hard because you have a slight left kink to deal with - the straight isn't really straight)

Next lap, main straight starts at 4:01, throttle is shut around 4:18, again 17 seconds.

Rider is doing around 1:28 which is decently quick.

I do around 1:43 - 1:44 there on a 63 hp FZR400 ... about a third as much power as a modern superbike. That uphill back straight takes an eternity. Here's an on-board from another rider in my class:

25 seconds of full throttle on the back straight ... ! ! !

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
1/2 mile straight at let's say 120 mph average (if only to make the numbers easier to calculate in my head!!) takes only 15 seconds, and from what that track map looks like, the last few seconds will be on the brakes. It's probably 10-ish seconds at full throttle.

Here's Canadian Tire Motorsports Park a.k.a. Mosport. It's 3/4 mile from corner 5 (slow hairpin) to the start of corner 8 and it also climbs about 120 ft in doing so.
Let's use your round # of only "10 seconds at full throttle" example for the 1/2 mile of the circuit track....But that's one lap, right? It's different for different tracks but you also have to multiple that by each lap, say just for example 10 laps for each session so 100 seconds then multiple that by say 10 sessions for the day so 1000 seconds total for only the 1/2 mile straight section at a circuit track.... But that's not the only place at least on the tracks I go to that I'm as full throttle as possible, you could easily use another say another 5 seconds at full throttle for each of the shorter straights say at Thunderbolt but forget including additional straight sections this is already making my brain hurt.

So if we forget the other straights & forget the areas where the bike is at less than full throttle (8-12k rpm) in turns say it doesn't count towards using an engine hard then you get 17 minutes at full throttle for the just the 1/2 mile straights at the circuit track. But we all know running an engine hard into out of turns, you're still at pretty high rpms and w/ less cooling so that is hard on an engine plus something that wasn't discussed; hard DECELERATION which also wears on an engine & on a circuit track you are up hard & hard down the rev range all day long.

How many runs should we use for a LSR mile event? Say it's 5 runs. 25 seconds is really fast, 219mph fast so let's just use 27 or round it off to 30 seconds. So 5 runs at 30 seconds a piece = 150 seconds or 2 1/2 minutes total. With zero deceleration, except of course very light & easy deceleration when returning. Then there's the issue of heat mentioned, the bike cools after each mile run, no way in one mile/30 second run with higher mph/more air flow/cooling is the bike going to generate as much heat in the motor as a bike running hard up & down the revs on a circuit track session for 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

So for the day probably minimum 100-150 total miles on a Circuit track, 25 miles/17 minutes at full throttle (if you only use one 1/2 mile straight) plus the other straights, all the running through corners & decelerating as you mentioned for a long time as well. VS. for a mile event - 5 miles and 2.5 minutes of hard running time.

Not scientific by any means but:
Circuit - 150 total hard miles. Full throttle for 25-50 miles/17 minutes (plus the whole day in corners & decelerating)
LSR - 5 total hard miles. Full throttle for 5 miles/ 2.5 minutes.

As far as what type of riding is harder on a motor there's just no way I believe a day at a mile event is going to be harder on a bike motor than a day running hard all day at a circuit track.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
It depends what the limiting factor is.

If it's piston meltdown ... 10 seconds of WOT followed by 10 seconds of coasting and neutral throttle etc (cooldown) repeatedly will reach lower piston temperature than 1 minute of full throttle steady. The piston temp goes up during that 10 seconds but then it comes back down again - versus keeping on increasing.

If it's gearbox wear then for sure the road course is harder on it due to many gearshifts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts