Ninja H2 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have said before, I like the tyres Kawasaki spent so much time matching to the H2. Mine are starting to go off and I have done over 9000km. Front are just past their wear indicators on the front, tyre looks like a 'V' and scuffed on the outsides. Rear is slightly flat in the middle with cupping on the outside. Both will need change very soon and as I don't ride this bike in the rain I think I will buy the same. Reason? I think Kawasaki development know a little more than me about tyres that suit the bike the way it was intended to be ridden.

Here is how I ride mine:
Front braking past the turn in of the corner
Power on progressively just past the apex exiting with a lot of throttle

I find with this technique most riders giving the H2 a go just don't have b*%ls to follow so by the time I am pointed straight I don't need to be a 'straight line Charlie' and tear the middle out of my rear tyre. Are you guys sure you are riding the H2 the way it was intended to be ridden? It's not a drag bike you know!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I definitely don't brake past the apex of a corner. I tend to get the braking done before the turn-in if anything, settle the suspension for the corner and power through progressively. I always corner on at least some throttle, more control and far safer. However I don't use my H2 on the track at all and don't ride many road miles either. I mainly use it at LSR meetings and braking from over 200mph is done upright and straight.

Like this: http://www.mcrider.com/4-steps-corner-motorcycle-like-pro/

I agree about the tyres. I've only used RS10's on it and they suit what I do.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It will be interesting to get feedback on the new Bridgestone RS11’s (OEM on 2019 bike) I’m sure they’ll be a decent upgrade.
Are they on general sale yet? Any takers ? (Yes Ted we know you hate Bridgestone!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe your read me wrong, I don't brake into the apex, but past the turn in point. With this bike you can feel the limits of grip on the front and with the forks under compression the geometry changes which makes it easer to turn in. It's the rear to be careful of because if you brake hard it will loose grip. Unless your confidant I don't think you should try it although the H2 is forgiving.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am perhaps one of the few that rate the RS10, I think they really suit the bike in fine weather riding at a decent road pace.

Mileage aint great on them but they do give good feedback imo, I have raised the forks by 5mm and the old girl turns in pretty well with no stability issues

I use pirelli suercorsa's on my track bikes and the grip is amazing but they really need to reach the correct temperature to work properly so would not really benefit the H2 on the road

Rob

·
Registered
503 Posts
It will be interesting to get feedback on the new Bridgestone RS11’s (OEM on 2019 bike) I’m sure they’ll be a decent upgrade.
Oi Rich

Stop showing off cause your having a new bike;)

Guaranteed it wont stop standard:D

Rob

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
If you've done 9000 km on the oem RS10 tires, you're in the minority! My opinion is that they were excellent, but shortlived. I replaced mine at 3500 km, and they should have been replaced at 2500 km.

The replacement Dunlop Q3 lasted about 5000 km. I'm on the Q3+ which in turn replaced those.

I don't ride mine like a drag bike, either.

I suspect the issue in my case is that most of the secondary back roads around here have chip-sealed surfaces, which are quite abrasive.

I seldom ride on motorways.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again. The Bridgestone tires are junk. I went through my first set in 1000 miles (easy break in) and the second set in just over 700. The third set went about 600. I am getting 2-3x the mileage out of the Michelin RS tires. Also the bike handles so much better, I mean day and night with the Michelins and the traction is at least as good or better. I trail brake deep, deep into the corner, and being an ex flat tracker I am constantly on the rear brake to control the thing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’ve tried numerous tires
And I ripped the rs10s on my Zx10
They had to be changed a lot and
One thing I didn’t like was when topping out it felt like the bike was glued to the floor being dragged.
Good combination recommended by a track guy was
Rs10 front
Rs21 rear
Tried it and loved it

Also the Perelli sc 2 are great tires overall, just take a min to warm up

The life on the rs10 was so short lived less then 2000 miles and it started to ware bad in rear all around
I use my bikes for street/track racing so it’s an even wear. But high speeds definitely wears these out fast

I’m looking forward to the RS11 on 2019
So far haven’t found any info on them on google other then they coming on the 2019 h2 😕

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again. The Bridgestone tires are junk. I went through my first set in 1000 miles (easy break in) and the second set in just over 700. The third set went about 600. I am getting 2-3x the mileage out of the Michelin RS tires. Also the bike handles so much better, I mean day and night with the Michelins and the traction is at least as good or better. I trail brake deep, deep into the corner, and being an ex flat tracker I am constantly on the rear brake to control the thing.
I replaced the rs10 with the Michelin rs
They are super good tires same grip more life no glue/drag feeling.
Only issue I have with them is they love nails and sharp objects too many flats with them left me with bad taste in mouth. I gave a pair away for free cuz of that
But to their reputation I have them on my turbo busa and they are clutch.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it's the road surface, we have smooth chip seal here which is a problem in the wet. Why they aren't tearing away beats me. Then again the area I live for 150km doesn't have many straight roads and the surface temperature is quite low. Every time I have had the front or rear let go they have re-gripped so they suit my conditions I guess. There is about 3 times the rubber on the rear so the dealer who also has a Kawasaki race team said to me that for the road the wear is good, not being overly aggressive and using the all the rubber on both. He recommended Michelin but I will buy the original.

I remember my insurance company told me once that if I change my tyres on my Turbo Porsche to a type not recommended by the manufacturer then this would be an out for them should I try and make a claim where loss of control or braking was an issue. I asked the broker why should I have insurance then? He said it's not for claiming against, it's for peace of mind!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oi Rich

Stop showing off cause your having a new bike;)

Guaranteed it wont stop standard:D

Rob

Nah, I’m just curious about the RS11’s Rob, I won’t mention my 19 on order & being delivered in March
Don’t think I’ll do much other than junk the rear fender and fit my old radiator guard. It would seem they covered most of my gripes but will be interesting to see how the throttle feels with the changes.
The main reason for the purchase is I get to tell Ted how amazing the display, wheelies and RS11’s are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I replaced the rs10 with the Michelin rs
They are super good tires same grip more life no glue/drag feeling.
Only issue I have with them is they love nails and sharp objects too many flats with them left me with bad taste in mouth. I gave a pair away for free cuz of that
But to their reputation I have them on my turbo busa and they are clutch.
True about the nails, I got one on a fairly new tire and plug pactched it, and it was fine. When I changed the tire, I examined the plug/patch carefully and it was solid and I had to tear it to pieces to remove it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Maybe it's the road surface, we have smooth chip seal here which is a problem in the wet. Why they aren't tearing away beats me. Then again the area I live for 150km doesn't have many straight roads and the surface temperature is quite low. Every time I have had the front or rear let go they have re-gripped so they suit my conditions I guess. There is about 3 times the rubber on the rear so the dealer who also has a Kawasaki race team said to me that for the road the wear is good, not being overly aggressive and using the all the rubber on both. He recommended Michelin but I will buy the original.

I remember my insurance company told me once that if I change my tyres on my Turbo Porsche to a type not recommended by the manufacturer then this would be an out for them should I try and make a claim where loss of control or braking was an issue. I asked the broker why should I have insurance then? He said it's not for claiming against, it's for peace of mind!

I ride on some abrasive roads and smooth roads. Reno is only a few miles from California and their roads tend to be smoother. I ride there a lot. Most road I ride on are very twisty and I usually wear out the sides of the tire before the middle, but not always, sometimes it is pretty even with the bias toward the left wearing soonest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts