Ninja H2 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm in second gear the road is clear and I'm ready for a violent wheely when I crack open the throttle as fast as I can but I get a bang ,bang bang , then bike clears it's throat and wheely's hard .
Is the TC cutting in to try and save my life ? I would have thought it would be way less intrusive but it feels very harsh like a rev limiter . In third gear it will either rocket forward and shake it's head as the front wheel skims the road or climb into a wheely high enough for me to have to short shift to prevent it flipping but not the poor running that I get in second gear .
This is either TC preventing wheel spin or I'm overwhelming the supercharger in some way ?
Bike is set on TC 2 , is well up to temperature and it's running on premium unleaded . Has anyone else experienced this, any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The system will not overcome deliberate rider actions. If you whack the throttle open it's probably detecting wheelspin and realizing that it has to cut power NOW and it cuts the spark. If it responds to whacking the throttle ok in higher gears and it's ok on 2nd if you are smoother then there's not likely anything wrong with the bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok I'm in second gear the road is clear and I'm ready for a violent wheely when I crack open the throttle as fast as I can but I get a bang ,bang bang , then bike clears it's throat and wheely's hard .
Is the TC cutting in to try and save my life ? I would have thought it would be way less intrusive but it feels very harsh like a rev limiter . In third gear it will either rocket forward and shake it's head as the front wheel skims the road or climb into a wheely high enough for me to have to short shift to prevent it flipping but not the poor running that I get in second gear .
This is either TC preventing wheel spin or I'm overwhelming the supercharger in some way ?
Bike is set on TC 2 , is well up to temperature and it's running on premium unleaded . Has anyone else experienced this, any ideas?
If you riding on TC 2 then I say yes it's TC. Just take a quick glimpse to see if your TC light blinks when you are noticing it happen and that will let you know that TC is engaging. COMPLETELY TURN OFF TC then try again. Also really to think of it if you have TC set to level 2 then of course it's engaging when you are trying to wheelie!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you riding on TC 2 then I say yes it's TC. Just take a quick glimpse to see if your TC light blinks when you are noticing it happen and that will let you know that TC is engaging. COMPLETELY TURN OFF TC then try again. Also really to think of it if you have TC set to level 2 then of course it's engaging when you are trying to wheelie!
TC 2 seems to have no influence to wheelie control in my opinion as it will all to easily go to the balance point and beyond on TC2 also after its sorted the "poor running " after hitting the throttle it comes up very fast and high , I may be stoping wheel spin though . My 2001 R1 would seamlessly go from the wheelspin to a wheelie so as you say turning off TC would seem to be the way to go .
I'm very much old school and this is my first rider aid bike and the settings are untouched from when I collected the bike .

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The system will not overcome deliberate rider actions. If you whack the throttle open it's probably detecting wheelspin and realizing that it has to cut power NOW and it cuts the spark. If it responds to whacking the throttle ok in higher gears and it's ok on 2nd if you are smoother then there's not likely anything wrong with the bike.
Yes 3rd gear is super smooth , just power power power until I short shift to prevent it climbing too high , it's in second when I really feel it , it's hopefully as you say the bike cutting the spark but it's shockingly harsh and feels like a rev limiter but then stops and the thing goes skywards.
The system seems to be happy for the bike to flip in 1st to 3rd but cuts in when detecting wheelspin only ? Does that sound like a fair assessment of TC 2 ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
My first lap at a track day on the H2 she was coughing and spluttering all the way around,then I realised I hadn't set the TC to 1.It was still in 2-.
Harldy a hint of any intervention after the change.I was pinning the throttle in all gears and coming out of corners sliding.Never a worry of the front coming up too high at all.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This sounds like TC preventing wheel-spin to me too. I've experienced something similar using TC2 for standing-miles. The other tell-tale sign is marks on the rear tyre, like cuts across the tread every few inches.

Correct, Traction Control on this bike does not detect a wheelie. The H2 has no inertia measurement unit like the ZX-10R, it only has wheel speed sensors. In some circumstances it will pull a wheelie down but this is only a secondary effect of the bike sensing front/rear wheel speed differences which is much the same as loss of traction. Don't count on it to save you from looping the bike though - IT WON'T.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This sounds like TC preventing wheel-spin to me too. I've experienced something similar using TC2 for standing-miles. The other tell-tale sign is marks on the rear tyre, like cuts across the tread every few inches.

Correct, Traction Control on this bike does not detect a wheelie. The H2 has no inertia measurement unit like the ZX-10R, it only has wheel speed sensors. In some circumstances it will pull a wheelie down but this is only a secondary effect of the bike sensing front/rear wheel speed differences which is much the same as loss of traction. Don't count on it to save you from looping the bike though - IT WON'T.
Thank you Bob , that is very much inline with how it apears to me . Without a doubt the H2 will loop on TC2 no question , I'm sure now thinking about it and reading these helpful answers it's the bike detecting wheelspin and cutting the spark ,it has just surprised me how harsh it feels .
To answer the question about lights flashing , yes at first I thought it was redlining making them flash but I was puzzled as it was obviously low to mid revs but whatever I look down the thing is lit up like a flashing Christmas tree ! Time to try TC 1 or switch it off for some smoking wheelspin .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts