Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is yours still under the seat ????

If so, whats to point, you need to carry and allen key to get to it and what the fook you gonna do with it anyway, adjust the chain on the side of the road:rolleyes:

More importantly, it saves 0.5kg weight:)

Guys, there is no need to thank me for this valuable information;)

Rob

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Think you mean the Allen key that's needed to remove the seat. If so it's located,,,,, well more like hidden, like an Easter egg in the back of the seat pad. Kawi came up w/ all kinds of interesting stuff on this bike.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I never noticed that there

I've always taken the tooll kits out of my bikes, pretty pointless really

Rob

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well I never noticed that there

I've always taken the tooll kits out of my bikes, pretty pointless really

Rob

Nah, I hear ya it's usually the tool you need that isn't in the tool kit & what's there you don't need but s hit happens, I'm often hundreds of miles from home on rides, carry whatever I can in the tool bag & on the H2 behind the rear pad, that's not much at all but besides the stuff in the below pic, managed to fit a tire plug kit, zip ties, etc. On my Harleys I actually add a few tools to the OEM tool kits.

Fall of 2015 I had to figure out how to take off my H2 seat in the dark w/ a iPhone flashlight after a cager liberated my mirror from the bike. The bike & I were very very lucky that the only thing that broke was the mirror arm, the mirror was hanging from the bike so also glad the paint was protected w/ Expel paint protection film but needed the right Allen keys that were in the kit to remove the dash panel to get at the wires to disconnect the directional & also the larger size bits to remove the mirror for the ride home.

Over the decades I've helped out a lot of other motorcyclists as well quite a few times. Forget if I put it in the H2's tool kit or if it came w/ it but had an adjustable wrench that we used to take off my buddies fuel tank when he got stuck on the road last season, was able to get his bike back on the road 200 miles from home & I would have been stuck there w/ him as we never leave anyone behind, lol! Also last season while riding w/ another buddy noticed his kickstand was dangerously hanging under the bike on his cruiser, gave him the tools to fix it.

It adds a small amount of weight but better to have them & not need them then need them & not have them.

·
Registered
891 Posts
regarding that allen key hidden inside the hip rest, yeah I noticed it a while ago. The funny thing is if you were on the road it is virtually impossible to get to. You have to take out 3 allen bolts, then manage to remove 2 metal plates that are held in by 7 rubber posts. I removed these on my work bench with pliers and a LOT of difficulty, not sure how you would get to this on the road. I **** that allen key out and put it in the tool kit. Why didn't Kawi think of that?...:confused:

·
Registered
376 Posts
regarding that allen key hidden inside the hip rest, yeah I noticed it a while ago. The funny thing is if you were on the road it is virtually impossible to get to. You have to take out 3 allen bolts, then manage to remove 2 metal plates that are held in by 7 rubber posts. I removed these on my work bench with pliers and a LOT of difficulty, not sure how you would get to this on the road. I **** that allen key out and put it in the tool kit. Why didn't Kawi think of that?...:confused:
So I am not the only one! I still don't know how to get the key out. I just carry another one with me. , is there an easy way? I feel retarded...:eek:
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
nope never seen the allen key or tool kit myself haha

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So I am not the only one! I still don't know how to get the key out. I just carry another one with me. , is there an easy way? I feel retarded...:eek:
Jeffro ;)

Like Simon said, the key can be removed fairly easily. The inside of the seat pad where it locates is mostly rubber.

Funnily, I was looking for somewhere to hide a key so that I could get the seat off to access the toolkit when I discovered that Kawasaki had beaten me to it. :D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Oh, Terry LOL! No, but that sucks that you went through that.

The Allen key is located in the seat pad because it's the one you need to remove the 2 allen head bolts that hold down the seat, the seat has to come off to get at the tool kit & battery.

I can picture in my head the image of these Japanese engineers figuring out all this stuff from scratch basically, everything is unique on the H2 & like some other stuff once you realize what they intended you have ah ha moments. The Allen key actually comes out pretty easily once you know the sequence of where to push & pull. I've taken mine out often so figured out a method. It's mounted in rubber so once you know where to apply pressure, it comes out easily, key is you can't be afraid of hurting the rubber that it's mounted in or that small plate w/ your fingers, you won't...

I just took there pics:

So it's wedged in there on the left by a rubber cut out & on the right under the plate:

First thing you do is push in to move the long end out of where it's held by the rubber:

Once the longer/left end is pushed in, you can pull on it to free the other /shorter end from under the metal plate:

And it pulls right out:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My pleasure @DeRox.

Kawah2 - We're not the only ones that has scuffed the mirror arm w/ an Allen key.

I remove the covers now to get at the front bolt imo that's the safest but there's actually a 2nd even easier way to get at the front bolt without scuffing the mirror arm:

People scuff the arm because they're trying to get at the bolt while the mirror is folded in this position:

Once the mirror is folded in towards the bike, they can be pushed in one more step, giving just enough room to get at the bolt:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, Terry LOL! No, but that sucks that you went through that.

The Allen key is located in the seat pad because it's the one you need to remove the 2 allen head bolts that hold down the seat, the seat has to come off to get at the tool kit & battery.

I can picture in my head the image of these Japanese engineers figuring out all this stuff from scratch basically, everything is unique on the H2 & like some other stuff once you realize what they intended you have ah ha moments. The Allen key actually comes out pretty easily once you know the sequence of where to push & pull. I've taken mine out often so figured out a method. It's mounted in rubber so once you know where to apply pressure, it comes out easily, key is you can't be afraid of hurting the rubber that it's mounted in or that small plate w/ your fingers, you won't...

I just took there pics:

So it's wedged in there on the left by a rubber cut out & on the right under the plate:

First thing you do is push in to move the long end out of where it's held by the rubber:

Once the longer/left end is pushed in, you can pull on it to free the other /shorter end from under the metal plate:

And it pulls right out:
Stradale,
Thanks mate your a saviour! Good instructions and pictures really helped Thankyou!
Don't feel so retarded looks like lots others had the same problem!
Cheers mate for the other tips too! :)
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's too F'n funny! can you believe I didn't think about that. Never tried to remove my seat away from the garage.
Good write up Gregg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone have a pic of what's in the tool kit, mine must have come missing stuff, there's a handle with nothing to fit to it. was it a spanner wrench to adjust the chain ?
Any help would be appreciated, the parts catalog wasn't much help.

·
Registered
376 Posts
anyone have a pic of what's in the tool kit, mine must have come missing stuff, there's a handle with nothing to fit to it. Was it a spanner wrench to adjust the chain ?
Any help would be appreciated, the parts catalog wasn't much help.
IMG_0543.jpg
This is a second kit I have ( which I assume is complete) comprised of the obvious screwdriver combination, 14mm/17mm open ended spanner, then Allen keys 10mm,6mm,4mm & 3mm, "C" spanner or wrench and finally the sleeve that this tool fits into ( for adjusting the chain tension)
Of course this all fits into the pouch supplied.
Hope this helps
Jeffro

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
"C" spanner or wrench ....................... ( for adjusting the chain tension)
Of course this all fits into the pouch supplied.
Hope this helps
Jeffro
All goes into the pouch except the C spanner which goes on the frame under the tool pouch, held in place by two bolts. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts