Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps are around 102 but with the 56% humidity, we have seen heat indexes in the 119 range. Add a helmet and a jacket and it is a recipe for heatstroke. I will be glad when it gets back down to the 70's. We are expecting a cool front by Tuesday, down to 95! A drive to Maine to race is looking better, their highs in north Maine are in the low 70's.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yup...I hate the heat.Like riding in a blast furnace.Thankfully,the heat waves here are shortlived.Give me 60's and 70's...I'm good;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wish it were warmer here it's been too cold at night to ride.. Was nice a week ago tho.. Hoping it warms up a bit, it's 63ish now at 9:30 at night in August..... My leathers are perf'd I freeze..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got out of the movies at 9:30 and it was still 90, just now on the news they said with the heat index it was still 100, I guess we have to gripe about something. At least when it is cold I can always add enough clothes to ride, but the heat just makes it too difficult to get comfortable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yip, that's hot! We generally don't see much more than 86...

We didn't even get to 50 yesterday... It was a fresh ride...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Get some heated gear...gerbing's is a good choice.Also Tourmaster..they have some nice stuff.I've got my 14 rigged for it.Ride every late time year and every early time year.Temps in the 50's(or 40's).Feels like riding in an electric blanket.I sewed a full head balaclava into my 'touring jacket'...put that up and over my head...neck stays nice and toasty;)Heated gloves are very nice.

Thought about installing the pigtails on my H2...but I don't think riding out there in those temps would be a real good idea with the torque and all this bike makes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Staying nice and toasty isn't too hard but no matter how many vent's your riding jacket has, there's just no way to sufficiently cool down in the heat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only solution I can think of is to ride with vests and arm guards at low speeds. It's less protection but it should be cooler than wearing a full jacket.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My landspeed leathers cannot have any perforations and are very thick. I only need a minimum of insulation with them. Also my Ducati has the heated seat option, AKA a muffler under the seat. That thing would heat a small house!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only solution I can think of is to ride with vests and arm guards at low speeds. It's less protection but it should be cooler than wearing a full jacket.
I do have a lighter jacket, but lots of times the humidity is so bad that you are drenched by the time you roll the bike out of the garage. After riding a few blocks and stopping for lights it just gets miserable. Yes, cranky old guy bitching.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My Spidi race suit has perforations too, it's not too bad when the weather's hot but for LSR there's so much more to think about, once I'm on the move I don't notice how hot it is.

It was a few years ago one summer when I was riding home through the heat in my leathers, other guys were out and about on their bikes in shorts and trainers. Then it happened. A moment of indecision and I lost the front at around 80mph. Sitting in the road when I eventually came to a stop, watching the bike still sliding away from me, I thought that braving the heat was well worth it. I had some light injuries but walked away and I've never been tempted to ride without the right clothing since that day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My Spidi race suit has perforations too, it's not too bad when the weather's hot but for LSR there's so much more to think about, once I'm on the move I don't notice how hot it is.

It was a few years ago one summer when I was riding home through the heat in my leathers, other guys were out and about on their bikes in shorts and trainers. Then it happened. A moment of indecision and I lost the front at around 80mph. Sitting in the road when I eventually came to a stop, watching the bike still sliding away from me, I thought that braving the heat was well worth it. I had some light injuries but walked away and I've never been tempted to ride without the right clothing since that day.
Hot and sweaty after a ride can be sorted with a quick shower - skin grafts take a bit longer ................................

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"skin grafts take a bit longer .."...LOL...that aint no BS rightcher.

What gets me is a guy riding (in shorts and stuff...no helmet,and has his daughter on the back(Harley type).Gotta shake my head everytime I see this...and it's quite often actually.Flip Flops....shorts.Tank top.Caraaaazy man!At least he's got the bandana for a tourniquet;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I remember my first 2 street bikes, I was so obsessed & loved having a motorcycle so much that I would head out at night in 20-30F just so I could be on the bike. It was before I had any type of real riding gear (1985) so would put on layers under my ski jacket, put on ski gloves & would go out just to ride. I rode year round in NY & CT. I'm too old for that stuff now but usually ride till end of November (or a rare day in December if temps are ok)on one of my Harleys which has a windshield.

Scary day for my club yesterday. We have a policy that everyone sends a text when they're home safe. I had about an hour & a half ride to get home from where we split up to ride home & when I got home to text "Home Safe" I saw a message that one of our guys went down. Looked at the next text and saw another 2 (riding together) had gone down. Then a 3rd!! The first guy wasn't with us originally, he was around the corner from home just running an errand when a woman made an illegal U-turn. The other 2 accidents happened while the 3 guys were on the way home from our event. We got a plan together for the guy that lives in my county, one of us would head to the accident to take care of his bike, I headed to Nassau University Hospital to see what I could do for him. He's only been in the country a short time, no relatives here & his wife was home w/ 2 little ones and doesn't drive. He's ok, had some bruising to his face & hands but cat-scan was clear. I helped him understand the insurance, bike repair process & drove him home. His bike was mostly cosmetic damage, front fender wrecked, etc but is fixable. One of the other guys staying in a different hospital overnight was released today. Everyone will be okay but banged up.. My bud said his full face helmet saved his life & was wearing a leather riding jacket & a leather vest on top, gloves, boots, etc. At first I couldn't even make sense of the texts I assumed they were all part of one accident, couldn't believe it when I realized it was 2 accidents then 3!!! It was a tough one out there for us yesterday.

I never ride without the very best helmet I can afford, protective leather jacket w/ shoulder, elbow, back protection, gloves, racing boots. I hear guys complain all the time about how they will use a 20yr old helmet that the 5 yr guideline is just marketing blah, blah or about how much helmets cost, always want to ask how much their head is worth? It's better now at about 85F but last week was brutal in the high 90's (real feel 103), we rode but mostly tried to go out after 7pm. I see guys on bikes all the time wearing sneakers & shorts too. One guy that was part of a memorial ride yesterday riding a Harley had his half helmet strapped to his elbow. I'm thinking WTF? If it's too hot to wear gear I just won't ride. This forum seems like more experienced, mature riders so preaching to the choir probably but for anyone thinking it won't or can't happen to them plz gear up, it's better to be really uncomfortable then really never uncomfortable or comfortable ever again.

Pic from yesterday from the accident w/ the 2 together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I keep myself stay at home; instead, riding without proper protection in hot weather conditions. A textile jacket with a textile pant and some protection can be quiet helpful in the hot weather conditions. Instead of wearing full face helmet i try to stay with half face.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stradale, thanks for sharing. What a smart policy for a group ride. You guys really have a great bunch and an excellent support system. I am sure the guy that is new to the US is thinking what a great country this is, it probably validates his decision to move here (unless he had the run in with the woman making a U-turn).

I have told this story before, not sure if I did on this board or not, so I apologize if I am repeating myself. When Texas dropped their helmet law around 1976, I was working at a bike shop and had to run an errand. It was summer time and hot. I thought what the heck, I will go without my helmet. I hopped on my CB750 and got on the freeway. It wasn't nearly as cool as I thought and I got off at the next exit and went back and got my bucket. I have never ridden without a helmet since. Also many of us raced in open faced helmets in those days. At most tracks this was not much of an issue. Then I went to Texas World Speedway down in College Station, I think their banking was the same as Daytona's. In any case it was a fast track and when you got up to 120 to 140, all that crap blowing around was like being in a sandblaster. I quickly bought a new Bell full face model.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A final word from me on the subject of riding gear: a friend of mine who's a bike dealer has often said " if you've got a cheap head then buy a cheap helmet" when customers ask for buying advice. Ok, I know there are some good cheaper helmets but generally, he's right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts