Ninja H2 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I generally only do one track day - actually 2 days in a row - at Phillip Island a year, at least until they finish building a local track sometime in 2018, then it will be more.

My question is; I want to remove my mirrors for the track, do I need to install block off plates or is the upper fairing not reliant on the mirror mount position for support, and thus not needing the plates? Yes they would look nice but if not needed then I won't use them.

And yes Nola, I have used search facility to no avail!!...;)

Don.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The mirrors do form part of the fairing mounting, you might get away with it but potentially the fairing could move up and over the mounting point "nuts".

The fairing won't come off the bike, just might move a bit.

Just make a couple of alloy plates with a hole in each end, couldn't be much work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No need to remove mirrors just fold them back,my H2 has done phillip island as well as broadford and I just folded them back no problem.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you remove the mirrors the front fairing is not secure. Don't ride it like that. If you cannot get plates in time then use a couple of bolts each side with a large washer. See my pic.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Remove the mirrors, don't leave them on. It's so easy to do, 10 min. tops.
If you don't have block off plates then I've always used Bob's method, just get 4 washers that will overlap the fairing and you're good to go.
It's really not a big deal though, on this fairing it's a snug fit over the metal frame where the mirror bolts thread. When installing the front cowling you have to lift it over that frame and let it snap in, then you install 4 bolts to hold the fairing down (not the mirror bolts) so it's not going anywhere. That being said, use washers & mirror bolts.

PS: option 2 - GET WINGS!

Reactions: ayjayef

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies, I will use Niobium23's method for now, and fashion my own plates as ayjayef mentioned in the fullness of time!

Took one mirror off yesterday to see how it goes, very easy!

Cheers,

Don

·
Registered
587 Posts
Brocks performance now has block offs available on their site.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep I saw the Brock's plates, they would be somewhere north of $80 AUD when shipping added.

I like the idea of fashioning my own, but if I stuff up then Brock's is an option.

Thanks for the heads up Boosted10R

Don.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Took one mirror off yesterday to see how it goes, very easy!
hey Don you do know about the trick of popping off the plastic plate on the mirror to get easier access to the allen bolts right? just checking.. it saves you from scratching your mirrors.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually no racer172, I noticed the removal of the plastic plate in the service manual but didn't bother as it seemed not to refer to removal of the mirrors. Will give that a go as yes, it is a tight fit with the tools especially on the lower/forward bolt.

Don.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That's why the mirror arms rotate fully past the 'closed' position.When you bring them back,towards you,they go one more 'notch'.That's for removing that lower bolt.(As well as removing the plate...you can do that as an option).Just more hassle(to me).
Also,leaving those fairing openings for the wiring isn't the best idea.Your ecu for one thing is sitting right under that.And all the connectors.Any rain gets in there,could be real bad.I took some weatherstripping and attached it to the inside area right there,then added the Yosh Block-off plates.Not to mention washing the fairing.Gonna go right in there if ya aren't careful.
Someone else here mentioned...I think it was here.The Yosh plates.They have a flange that goes the length of the outer lip.That flange needs to be ground off.Ideally,it would be the length of the opening...but it's not.Leaving it on there and tightening could create cracks over time in that area right there,also leaving a gap for water to enter(or dirt).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Proper Mirror Removal

I noticed the removal of the plastic plate in the service manual but didn't bother as it seemed not to refer to removal of the mirrors. Will give that a go as yes, it is a tight fit with the tools especially on the lower/forward bolt..
Don, this is the plastic piece that comes off your mirror

there is a hole underneath made for your finger to pop it out

Kawi did this so you can easily have access to both allen bolts without ever having to rotate the mirror housing. If you get lazy and remove the bolts by rotating the mirrors you will scratch the black paint, guaranteed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts