Ninja H2 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having over 2k miles on this thing, and getting ready for my 3rd set of tires. I am still learning to ride this thing, but have figured out a few things.
First on most of the twisty roads I use 2nd gear so I have good pull, 3rd is too weak. But I am starting to hit the rev limiter on some short straights. And shifting for a one second is a waste, so second gear is too slow. Hopefully one tooth up in the front will do the trick. At least bring it closer to the ZX10s gearing which is much taller.
Also at this altitude it is very hard to wheelie in second, you have to be about 10rpm and bang it hard to have it come up. So to wheelie between corners you have to be in first and it just isn't fast enough.

Maybe one tooth will calm down the 1st gear wheelies and they will be a bit more controllable.

At lower altitudes, the thing is a handful, but again I'm hitting the rev limiter even quicker on short straights.

Also at lower altitudes the traction control does seem to let the wheel come up a bit further, maybe it is so quick the TC can't catch it as early as it does at high alts.

Latest observations:
There is a big difference between low altitude and high. It is effected as much as any other NA bike below 7000. From 7k up it performs well.

I have a feeling the Bridgestone tires are slowing down the handling(maybe because of the 200). And the tire wear I suspect is because Bridgestone doesn't handle the internal flexing as well as they should. I could be wrong but, will see with the Michelins.
I have taken several long rides (over 350 miles) and find it to be comfortable. Body position is fine, and if you move around on the seat it is reasonable.

The throttle modification really helps ride twisty roads more aggressively. It is still very harsh, especially at lower altitudes, but much better.
I need to dial in the suspension it seems a bit harsh one bumpy roads.
The brakes just flat work, not too much initial bite, not too little. Just squeeze the lever and you get what you need. Brembo!!!
The clutch on this thing is light.
I just love how smooth it is, Kwak did a really good job. My 10 has some very smooth spots, especially after the road race head gasket. But this thing is almost smooth everywhere.

The display still sucks unless it is in bright sunlight, then it is okay.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
My suspension guy (there is another thread somewhere) ended up taking damping out of the forks via shim-stack changes, and going to a substantially stiffer rear spring because there was evidence that the stock one was bottoming. It's still a firm bike, but this took the edge off the harshness.

If your shock is bottoming, it's not helping your tire last ...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My suspension guy (there is another thread somewhere) ended up taking damping out of the forks via shim-stack changes, and going to a substantially stiffer rear spring because there was evidence that the stock one was bottoming. It's still a firm bike, but this took the edge off the harshness.

If your shock is bottoming, it's not helping your tire last ...
No, there isn't any bottoming, I think it is too stiff at the moment. I need to set the sag up properly. Then consider taking out some damping.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Altitude must be really sapping your engine power Ted. My H2 is geared 19/41 for LSR and it still wheelies off the throttle in fourth which takes it to nearly 170mph.

I've geared it up by degrees, starting with a 19 tooth front and then dropping the rear by one tooth at a time arriving at 19/41. Even geared up this much over stock the bike is not over-geared, it hit the limiter in top on 19/42 before changing to a 41 and the bike is better on the road. Kawasaki had it way too low with the 186 limit coinciding with the 13,000 red line. The way I see it is that if you can't use 100% throttle then gearing it up won't make the bike any slower.

·
Registered
625 Posts
"and the bike is better on the road"...in what way Bob?

And also,switching front to 19 and leaving the back stock,what will this do?

Guys, I took the advice from Bob and he is correct.

Initially I thought it had lost a bit of the midrange anger that tore up my tyre in 5th and 6th but after getting used to it that’s not the case. It still eats tyres (or Tires!)

I think Bob’s statement of “better on the road” is in reference to the bike being smoother in low gears at lower speed due to higher gearing.

Incidentally I’ve gone 19/42 (from Brock’s)

·
Registered
503 Posts
A I the only one that likes the "flightiness" of the standard gearing

I dont find it over geared, however, I'not gunning for silly straight line speed

Rob

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Altitude must be really sapping your engine power Ted. My H2 is geared 19/41 for LSR and it still wheelies off the throttle in fourth which takes it to nearly 170mph.

I've geared it up by degrees, starting with a 19 tooth front and then dropping the rear by one tooth at a time arriving at 19/41. Even geared up this much over stock the bike is not over-geared, it hit the limiter in top on 19/42 before changing to a 41 and the bike is better on the road. Kawasaki had it way too low with the 186 limit coinciding with the 13,000 red line. The way I see it is that if you can't use 100% throttle then gearing it up won't make the bike any slower.
The altitude just kills it, I was hoping the SC would compensate, but alas. But still the thing is geared way too low, so when my tires and paint get here I'm going to a 19 front.

I'm actually betting gearing up will actually make it quicker through the gears. Less shifting. First second, and third will pull longer and that is the meat of acceleration. It will help the first gear wheelies for sure. And stretch out second for the twisties.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would hear the front to 19 and leave it there then you can switch rear sprockets as you like due to how easy it is to switch them out. I was personally surprised with how quick I had to shift this bike when I first bought it. I run the 19 up front and switch between the 41 and 42 in the rear

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
"and the bike is better on the road"...in what way Bob?

And also,switching front to 19 and leaving the back stock,what will this do?
Better because the stock bike at 18/44 is horribly under-geared. Geared up it's just as fast, the engine makes so much power that you still can't use 100% throttle below 5th gear and you make fewer gear changes.

I arrived at these ratios because of my interest in Land Speed Racing, it was a case of finding the right gearing for the bike's theoretical top speed but in the real world, away from LSR, running my 19/41 gearing I only need the first four gears from zero to 170mph, the stock bike needs five gears. Anywhere in that range it will pick up the front wheel if you're too enthusiastic with the throttle. Why would you gear it lower?

If you only change the front sprocket to 19t it will give about 5% more top speed.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better because the stock bike at 18/44 is horribly under-geared. Geared up it's just as fast, the engine makes so much power that you still can't use 100% throttle below 5th gear and you make fewer gear changes.

I arrived at these ratios because of my interest in Land Speed Racing, it was a case of finding the right gearing for the bike's theoretical top speed but in the real world, away from LSR, running my 19/41 gearing I only need the first four gears from zero to 170mph, the stock bike needs five gears. Anywhere in that range it will pick up the front wheel if you're too enthusiastic with the throttle. Why would you gear it lower?

If you only change the front sprocket to 19t it will give about 5% more top speed.
Not to mention lower RPMs cruising and most likely better mileage.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well then,I think a 19 is in my future.I have an H2R rear sprocket here.So a 41 is good then?The swingarm adjuster will accomodate that without altering the stock chain?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well then,I think a 19 is in my future.I have an H2R rear sprocket here.So a 41 is good then?The swingarm adjuster will accomodate that without altering the stock chain?
I am going to see how the 19 works out and if it is not enough I will probably go with a 42 or 43 in the rear and call it good. 41 may be a bit too tall. I need 2nd gear to be lively but still do 120ish at the rev limiter, because now I am hitting the rev limiter on even the short straights. And shifting is a waste of time and concentration on a very twisty road.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Look at this video

I am hitting the rev limiter in (gear) at approx. these points in the video.

2nd at 0:19 or 4.6 in the upper right time
2nd at 0:24 rr 9.6
3rd at 0:47 or 32.7
2nd at 051or 36.5
2nd at 1:13 or 58
3rd at 1:26 or 1:12
2nd at 2:07 or 1:53
3rd at 2:26 or 2:11
3rd at 2:34 or 2:19
3rd at 2:58 or 2:43

And of course the longer straights much higher gears.
At all those points I should still be be accelerating without having to shift. Gearing up should help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Right now I'm at 19 and 38, it's still not bad on the street. Just gotta watch out for the police. LOL !!! ... I'll be headed to Limestone, Maine in July to see how hard it will pull in 6th gear. May have to take a spare clutch, haha. Only several weeks away, getting psyched.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts