Ninja H2 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, has anyone heard of the "G2 Ergonomics" Throttle Tamer? After reading how many have the problem of the abruptness and violent power coming on particularly just cracking open the throttle, I thought maybe this might be a cure or at least make it better than what it is. I believe that flashing will solve to a degree or smooth out the abruptness to some, but even flashed bikes are not cured from this problem. If you research their site it makes sense that the profile of the throttle cam is different to OEM and lends itself to smoothing out the power delivery down low particularly when cracking the throttle open.
On their site the testimonials are overwhelming to helping the bikes that have a reputation for abruptness and violent power delivery. Being that the H2 would be the worst bike I have ridden for this problem, I thought it might be a good idea to try.
Has anyone had anything to do with this Throttle Tamer or experience with another bike?
Take it easy...
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sounds like it might be worth investigating Jeffro.

After a couple of seasons I'm getting used to the H2's characteristic throttle action and I also find that setting the cables so there's almost no free play makes it easier to control. Any slack and it's awful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I looked into mine when I got it. The twist ratio of the '15 was about 60 degrees, so a quick turn throttle. The diameter of the cable portion of the throttle tube was a few mm bigger than a GSXR750 one. I can't remember the exact numbers. I fitted the squid bike one so consequently, I now have a 90 degree throttle.

It made the bike a whole lot more rideable.

We don't have a lot of straight stuff around here, so we don't do a lot of high speed stuff. We do have twisties and bumps, so a twitchy throttle ruins a good motorcycle. I do like to ride in the corners with a lot of revs, a throwback to 600's and 2-strokes, and that is where the sensitive throttle seemed to plague me the most. Having 9 thou on the rev counter, cranked over and bumps just seemed to induce instability, where carrying higher gears didn't. But, it took away from the experience. At least with the smaller throttle tube, it gave some of that back.

So, in summary, yes, I could foresee that the G2 would be very good. It would take away the low throttle sensitivity but give a quicker turn all the way to full throttle. Overall, it may take the throttle twist to maybe 75 degrees, so a good compromise...

I know a lot of people will be saying, "Just get used to it". That's all good if the H2 is the only bike being ridden. It gets a bit tricky jumping off a W650 or TR1, commuting in the week, to the beasty throttle...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I looked into mine when I got it. The twist ratio of the '15 was about 60 degrees, so a quick turn throttle. The diameter of the cable portion of the throttle tube was a few mm bigger than a GSXR750 one. I can't remember the exact numbers. I fitted the squid bike one so consequently, I now have a 90 degree throttle.

It made the bike a whole lot more rideable.

We don't have a lot of straight stuff around here, so we don't do a lot of high speed stuff. We do have twisties and bumps, so a twitchy throttle ruins a good motorcycle. I do like to ride in the corners with a lot of revs, a throwback to 600's and 2-strokes, and that is where the sensitive throttle seemed to plague me the most. Having 9 thou on the rev counter, cranked over and bumps just seemed to induce instability, where carrying higher gears didn't. But, it took away from the experience. At least with the smaller throttle tube, it gave some of that back.

So, in summary, yes, I could foresee that the G2 would be very good. It would take away the low throttle sensitivity but give a quicker turn all the way to full throttle. Overall, it may take the throttle twist to maybe 75 degrees, so a good compromise...

I know a lot of people will be saying, "Just get used to it". That's all good if the H2 is the only bike being ridden. It gets a bit tricky jumping off a W650 or TR1, commuting in the week, to the beasty throttle...
Nutter 34,
Thanks for the reply. Gives me more confidence the Throttle Tamer is what this bike needs. I can relate exactly to what you mentioned regarding twisties and bumps and with the sensitive throttle - taking away the overall joy and pleasure of riding a well set up bike. I also have the opportunity here to go on rides that provide fast straight aways, but I feel ANYONE can stretch the legs of a powerful bike (and yeh it's fun) but I find the art of cornering well (and harnessing and controlling so much power) and in smooth style & total control albeit at perhaps lower speeds is a lot more challenging and much much more fun! :D
As I am sure you already know the main emphasis and mindset on these forums (which I struggle with) is power. I am very much the opposite - an advocate of better control overall and the art of rider craft. Don't get me wrong though.... The power is very nice ;) and always there and to me compliments my attitude in riding. But I am not surprised not much interest is in what we talk about here, if it was a power mod it would be popular as! :)

I have been setting up and developing my bike (as my other bikes) for exactly that style riding, but with the abruptness it does ruin the ride to a degree. To get that high throttle control on and rolling off is not easy on any bike (as you already know & appreciate) it takes lots experience and "training" to get right. I pride myself on smoothness and throttle control but I must admit for the H2 it's a bit hit and miss! My past bikes I got to the point where I was very happy with the the transition between braking, cornering, & applying power on exit with minimal of suspension movement but like you I tend to shift up a gear or two and ride it out on the H2. I understand exactly where your coming from when you ride other bikes, I also have another bike (much slower one mind you) and it always takes a while to get used to the H2 again. For me though it makes my H2 feels like even more of a rocket every time I ride it again! ;)

I sent G2 ergonomics an email, asking for more information, and also regarding the size of the throttle tube ( as I really want to keep OEM grips) however depending on the reply I can prepare the correct grip if I go ahead and order. As you also mentioned regarding overall throttle position and twist ratio compared to OEM is something of a compromise and that's ok, you gotta give something to achieve something. I am looking forward to ordering and trying it in the very near future.

Last but not least you mentioned the 600s and the old screaming two strokes those were the days!
Thanks again for your input!
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes I had the G2 throttle tube on my zx10r race bike.
for the H2 I went with the Graves throttle tamer.
BUT this is not enough. To do it right you must also map the throttle.
I took my mechanic out to what we call "the playground" in our mountains/canyons and we spend 4hrs making throttle mapping adjustments till I was happy. Here's the thread: http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-general-discussion/18698-throttle-mapping.html

Reactions: H2QIK

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes I had the G2 throttle tube on my zx10r race bike.
for the H2 I went with the Graves throttle tamer.
BUT this is not enough. To do it right you must also map the throttle.
I took my mechanic out to what we call "the playground" in our mountains/canyons and we spend 4hrs making throttle mapping adjustments till I was happy. Here's the thread: http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-general-discussion/18698-throttle-mapping.html
Thanks as always for your input
Can you answer this though, with the G2 you used on the ZX10, was the throttle tube the same diameter as OEM?
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
with the G2 you used on the ZX10, was the throttle tube the same diameter as OEM?
yes, they are made in the diameter as OEM to fit your bike, it's a simple bolt-on install. OEM is plastic tube, G2 is a metal tube. Main difference is it changes how the throttle cable is pulled. You pick the style you want when you place the order. Some want hard/fast response when they crack the throttle, others like me want less/smoother throttle response on the initial crack and more aggressive response as the throttle opens more. This can all be controlled in throttle mapping in the ECU as well.

Again for the H2 we went with the Graves throttle tube, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Reactions: Jeffro

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have mentioned before that to control a lot of the jerk when going over bumps and to get a better control the cheap and easy way is place some washers between the throttle grip and the bar end,yes this slows the return of the throttle but with time and persistence you can get the combo right.My H2 pretty much only does twisty mountain roads .She had her 21,000 kilometer run today with a couple of Suzuki gixzers following a fair way behind.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like it might be worth investigating Jeffro.

After a couple of seasons I'm getting used to the H2's characteristic throttle action and I also find that setting the cables so there's almost no free play makes it easier to control. Any slack and it's awful.
Hey Bob just letting you know I ordered the throttle Tamer from G2 Ergonomics, should get it in a week or two, will let you know how it performs..
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Any update on this Jeffro?
Yeh mate it works well, it's improved it and I am pretty happy. No need to flash or remap the fuel as it's been claimed. Or putting "things" inside the tube is ludicrous. Just learn how to control the throttle with rider craft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts