Ninja H2 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been playing around with throttle maps? I've been editing mine a lot to smooth out the throttle with varying degrees of success. Just to see what would happen, I flashed a 100% linear throttle map and giving it a lot of gas just makes traction control go nuts, so obviously that's not quite the ideal solution.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you still have the stock system, or an exhaust with a Lambda sensor, it's a waste of time doing mixture below 4000rpm on a PCV. The lambda sensor will just lean it off again. Dynojet don't make an 02 eliminator for the H2 yet.

If you're remapping the ECU then it's different.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you still have the stock system, or an exhaust with a Lambda sensor, it's a waste of time doing mixture below 4000rpm on a PCV. The lambda sensor will just lean it off again. Dynojet don't make an 02 eliminator for the H2 yet.

Ah, should have clarified, full system without O2 sensor and I'm flashing the ECU with Woolich.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you look at throttle position from the perspective of the butterflies the maps apparent non linear curve is probably very linear airflow wise. From many previous posts what most seem to want is to calm down the partial throttle response so it is less twitchy. Massaging that map curve should be able to accomplish that. I think increasing the curve is the direction you want to go.

By making the map linear your airflow is probably ramping up too quickly and unleashing the beast only to slam into the KTRC cage :)

Ive been waiting for the log box pro thought it would be along already... :-(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at throttle position from the perspective of the butterflies the maps apparent non linear curve is probably very linear airflow wise. From many previous posts what most seem to want is to calm down the partial throttle response so it is less twitchy. Massaging that map curve should be able to accomplish that. I think increasing the curve is the direction you want to go.

By making the map linear your airflow is probably ramping up too quickly and unleashing the beast only to slam into the KTRC cage :)

Ive been waiting for the log box pro thought it would be along already... :-(
Very interesting to hear. I'm fairly new to tuning so I fully admit I don't know what I'm doing, but I kept wondering what the heck the point of such an uneven curve was. I'll be getting a custom tune as soon as possible but in the meantime I'm just messing around a bit. My main goal is to make mid-corner throttle smoother for the track, since the stock throttle map is complete garbage for that.

Sorry to hear the log box hasn't shown up yet, that seems like a really trick system.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you have the USB interface you can only tune it with a laptop attached and on a dyno, have it tuned by someone knowledgeable. Getting a good base tune wouldn't be a bad idea.

For DIY you need a LOG BOX and WB oxygen sensor, it can log your AFR and other parameters as you go for a run. When you get to pits you can look at that data and make corrective changes based on real world conditions. If you choose this route watch the videos and go to the forums and ask around for the right way to approach it before beginning. This is something you don't want to do wrong ...it could end in tears.

The log box is available now and logs std ECU parameters, The log box pro is what I'm waiting for ...i think it will have some cool extra stuff.
What is Woolich Racing AutoTune?

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOG BOX PRO
I haven't tried it yet on my bikes, but I think you could still log data with one of our old Log Box Pros, the v2. The issue you'll run into is flashing the ECU, the new ECUs do not like the older boxes, hence the release of the USB v3 and Log Box v3. I will try this out sometime this weekend since I am going to take some time off (birthday on Sunday followed up with Labor Day on Monday) and actually work on and try to enjoy MY bikes for once :p

The only real benefit of the Pro Log Box, in it's current form, over the regular Log Box is the additional inputs for the AD input/converters. Which, in all honesty may be beneficial as you could wire in a boost pressure sensor and have it monitor boost pressure along with whatever else you can imagine/desire. I have used the AD inputs for some pretty radical R&D projects on my personal bikes and we're in the works of releasing a highly specialized plug and play kit that will take advantage them as well. There are some pretty sweet features that will be coming in the new Pro boxes. I really want to tell you all, but can't. Sorry.

As far as ETA on the boxes, last I heard was we have the proofs from the PCB manufacturer and they are being put through debugging and QA now. Once they pass, then they will go to mass production and be out for release shortly thereafter.

Back into the shadows...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
By "throttle maps" I assume we're talking about fuel injection.

There's the other throttle map which Don Guhl posted a graphic of early last year, showing the fly-by-wire map closing the butterflies down above 10,000 rpm when you are still applying 100%. Fixed with a reflash.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I disabled my O2 sensor and the bike still leans out the mixture. Wasted a lot of time at the dyno trying to get that low rpm sorted since with this bike it's common to spend lots of time at 3-5,000rpm.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By "throttle maps" I assume we're talking about fuel injection.

There's the other throttle map which Don Guhl posted a graphic of early last year, showing the fly-by-wire map closing the butterflies down above 10,000 rpm when you are still applying 100%. Fixed with a reflash.
I'm talking purely about the fly-by-wire map. I'll have to check my stock ECU file again since I don't remember mine being nearly as smooth looking as that one.

·
Registered
331 Posts
... I have used the AD inputs for some pretty radical R&D projects on my personal bikes and we're in the works of releasing a highly specialized plug and play kit that will take advantage them as well. There are some pretty sweet features that will be coming in the new Pro boxes. I really want to tell you all, but can't. Sorry.
Along with additional A/D I was also hoping for blip down shift enable which others have already done. :)
Enjoy your days off!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Woolich already has the autoblip with a Cordona strain gauge. I've got it on mine, it works fantastically!
Thanks for that. I wasn't really clear I was hoping the software would enable a ZX-10 sensor to be used. The ZX-10 sensor is $175 #21176-0811 and the body looks to be a direct replacement into stock linkage hardware and I like it to look stock. They must all be similar tech as Guhl got one working in his ECU reflash only. I was hoping it would just be an additional option in The Woolich software without the sensor bundle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for that. I wasn't really clear I was hoping the software would enable a ZX-10 sensor to be used. The ZX-10 sensor is $175 #21176-0811 and the body looks to be a direct replacement into stock linkage hardware and I like it to look stock. They must all be similar tech as Guhl got one working in his ECU reflash only. I was hoping it would just be an additional option in The Woolich software without the sensor bundle.
It couldn't hurt to ask, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they both worked. WR-NA might be able to comment why they went with the Cordona.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for that. I wasn't really clear I was hoping the software would enable a ZX-10 sensor to be used.
It has been swapped out because the OEM sensor on the H2 is unidirectional meaning it only works in one direction. Others out there have opted out for replacing it with an OEM, sensor off of the stock 16 ZX-10R which is bidirectional meaning it works in both directions. Which is fine, except that specific sensor isn't that great. Running the stock sensor on my 16 10R since February, I have had several instances where the OEM sensor cannot keep up with the downshifts and has had issues detecting some higher speed upshifts. Now for me, starting my approach and entrance to T1 at anywhere from 165-175 MPH, depending on my exit at T13, requires me to get back into either 1st or 2nd to properly hit my line and marks to make the best time and fastest speed through T1. I've had a bunch of instances where the sensor can't keep up and I end up in a gear higher than I should be causing me to be weak in that specific turn and lose time and have to find it back elsewhere on the track. It got to the point to where I just went old school and used my wrist's auto blip :p

It was not just me either... we have quite a few sponsored racers that had the same issues which lead us to replace the sensor with the upgraded unit. They all experienced the same thing and it was all rectified with the better quality sensor. Ever since switching out to the new replacement sensor late July, I haven't had any of those issues either with the QS not being able to keep up on extremely fast downshifts or on the intermittent non-detection at higher speeds in higher gears.

Reason we don't allow sensors from other manufacturers is say you purchase a sensor from Dynojet, enable it and it doesn't respond well. We could then spend the entire time troubleshooting the issue only to find out at the very end it was a problem with the sensor itself. So by keeping everything under the same set of controlled constraints, we are better able to diagnose and troubleshoot potential issues since everyone is using the same exact hardware and software which allows us to get to the root cause faster. Similar issue here, if we let people use the Kawi sensor and they start to experience issues, who would get the blame for the issues we've noticed with the OEM sensor? Definitely wouldn't be Kawi getting their doors busted in with people complaining. Luckily, these replacement sensors are about as tough and reliable as they come and have had nary an issue with them across all of the models we use them on. Would the stock 16 ZX-10R sensor work with our software? Yes. But would it work well? Not nearly as well as the upgraded replacement sensor.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for the real world info! I'll be picking one up shortly as the heat in AZ is just beginning to break.

Reactions: WR-NA

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Cordona strain gauge is really head and shoulders above the stock Kawasaki parts. I speak from experience having one. Woolich are not just trying to sell you a part.

They want your shifter to work as best as possible is why they are using this Cordona part.

Now Dynojet is a different story. When they first released the PCV in 2009 they made it so the quick shifter would only work with a normally closed switch because every switch sold on the planet at that time was normally open. Dynojet did that to force you to buy their part in order to just sell you a part. Years later they had to reverse this practice.

This is NOT what Woolich is doing.

That re branded Cordona strain gauge really is what you want, not the Kawasaki OEM part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the real world info! I'll be picking one up shortly as the heat in AZ is just beginning to break.
Let me know when you decide to order it. We sponsor a race team based in Phoenix and I have been wanting to stop by for some track time with them. The wife and I were planning on moving back to AZ this fall as well, but instead opted for a trip to Australia for the Philip Island MotoGP round. So we will be back and forth over the winter as we have a few houses we want to check out and I want to run a track day at AMP and/or Inde over the winter before moving back to AZ for good. So, if you give me a heads up, I may be able to deliver it personally... save you some shipping costs :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts