Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Remember when journalists and commentariat across the internet were all WTF about the winglets sprouting from the H2R's fairing? We're they functional, we're they a gimmick, is there an affect, will they break and on and on it went...

Well fast forward 10 months and the best of the best in MotoGP's paddock have latched onto the idea with both Ducati and Yamaha developing their own set of wings...

Jorge Lorenzo:

Valentino Rossi:

Andrea Dovizioso:

Andrea Iannone:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed that down at Phillip Island on the weekend and wondered how much the H2 and H2r influenced the design

·
Registered
573 Posts
It would be interesting to see back to back runs. Bob and I know that the handling changes a bunch over 170, I would be interested to see if the wings did generate more downforce and more control, or if they just acted to slow the bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It would be interesting to see back to back runs. Bob and I know that the handling changes a bunch over 170, I would be interested to see if the wings did generate more downforce and more control, or if they just acted to slow the bike.
at Phillip Island the ducati wasn't wheeling over the start finish like the yamaha and honda, but the ducati was always having trouble getting down to the apex of turn 1. I wonder if the extra downforce was making the front end that fraction heavier, promoting understeer...

Reactions: ben1000z

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone with wings on the H2 or H2r care to share if they feel a difference ? I've been considering getting a set and love the way it looks on the bike, definitely not something you see everyday. might have to be my first mod.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Anyone with wings on the H2 or H2r care to share if they feel a difference ? .
Yeah I'll chime in. Didn't notice any difference when I first ran them at Chuck Walla (a slow 2nd/3rd gear track), but I did notice a difference when I ran at Willow Springs recently where I was tapping out 6th gear and taking sweeping turns at 160mph. In other words the wings create down force the help keep the front end down at high speeds. For land-speed record runs you remove them because they create drag. I put my upper wings on when I go to the track, and I replace them with the stock mirrors when I ride the canyons. I leave the lower wings on at all times.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah I'll chime in. Didn't notice any difference when I first ran them at Chuck Walla (a slow 2nd/3rd gear track), but I did notice a difference when I ran at Willow Springs recently where I was tapping out 6th gear and taking sweeping turns at 160mph. In other words the wings create down force the help keep the front end down at high speeds. For land-speed record runs you remove them because they create drag. I put my upper wings on when I go to the track, and I replace them with the stock mirrors when I ride the canyons. I leave the lower wings on at all times.

Just out of interest, the angle and profile etc of the wings when put onto a H2, how does that compare to a H2R? We know the wings were designed for the H2R which has a different front cowl & I understand and it's absolute that the wings were set up for the R model. It would be interesting to have both bikes side by side to see if it's visibly different or not, and to an extreme some accurate measurements taken. Now in my mind it would be critical to have the wings set up exactly (profile, angle of attack, etc) on a H2, not just placed there. I am no expert on aerodynamics and I don't know for sure, but it's interesting that perhaps not being manufactured for the wing aerodynamics (the H2) it's actually not going to do the job as intended. Angle of attack and profile must be perfect in any aerodynamic situation and the H2R I am sure has this taken into account. As for me there's no way I would use them without checking what I have written above before using them in high speed situations, you may be doing some disservice to yourself and who knows create stability problems.
Sure they look great no doubt, but otherwise bit of a question mark.
What do you think?
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
no way I would use them without checking what I have written above before using them in high speed situations, you may be doing some disservice to yourself and who knows create stability problems.
Sure they look great no doubt, but otherwise bit of a question mark. Jeffro ;)
yeah I did test them at high speeds, 160mph in the fast sweeping turns of Willow Springs and 174mph on the front straight. Did you get a chance to see the video I posted up from that session a few weeks ago?

Reactions: Jeffro

·
Registered
376 Posts
SEE my post number 16 above ^
I am very surprised hasn't had any replies to it? I would have thought with all the rage in wings there wouldn't be more posts and info on what I have written?
Any takers?
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
SEE my post number 16 above ^
I am very surprised hasn't had any replies to it? I would have thought with all the rage in wings there wouldn't be more posts and info on what I have written?
Any takers?
Jeffro ;)
The wings of @racer172 are made by Active moto under exact H2R specs. Lower wings bolts on directly in place since the lower fairing are the same between the two. For upper wings, since the upper fairing is different, Active Moto designed a special alluminum adapter/spacer that goes under the wings, and since the meter stay where the mirror/wings are bolted on is the same for both, in the end I think wing positioning on H2 is exactly the same of the H2R.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts