Ninja H2 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agree or disagree, that is the question.

My reasons:

1. It takes a lot more development time to the develop the engine performance for the H2 because of emissions, power and durability must be considered. The H2R only addresses power.

2. H2 Aftertreament system is costly. H2R has none.

3. H2 exhaust system is more complex and cost more to manufacture. H2R exhaust is much simpler.

4. H2 Electronics is more complicated so requires more development time.

5. H2 has all the lights. H2R comes with a tail lamp and it is not even turned on from the factory.

6. H2 has mirrors, horn, license plate bracket, long rear fender. H2R has none.

7. H2 has to be tested a lot more to meet regulations. Test results must be sent to the government agencies around the world. Big $$ there.

8. H2 documentation has more information which took more resources and time to put it together.

9. H2 has more sensors.

10. H2 has warranty. H2R has none.

So, you H2 owners are lucky that you are not paying more but also it is only 1/2 the price of the H2R.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The H2R has all that expensive carbon bodywork and some different engine parts. It comes with more kit. It's even more limited edition that the H2 so costlier to assemble. They charge over £40,000 for it because they can.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The H2R has all that expensive carbon bodywork and some different engine parts. It comes with more kit. It's even more limited edition that the H2 so costlier to assemble. They charge over £40,000 for it because they can.
i wish they wouldve gave me the carbon fiber
and the ti pipe
but they didnt so ill live with what i have

:(
:););)

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The R is expensive because the parts specific to that bike are only made in tiny quantity and that has to absorb the development and tooling cost. That, and "because they can".

I highly doubt that the H2 on its own is a moneymaker for KHI, but look at the attention it draws.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think they both have the same rider support suite: traction control and intelligent anti-lock braking system. Not sure what the differences are.

·
Registered
200 Posts
thats a good question actually. TC should simply be a wheel speed sensor...would there be software differences to account for the different throttle maps from the factory?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Some have mentioned about the carbon fiber here...in reality...there aint that much ON there.Not like you'd 'expect' from a 50K dollar bike.(the H2R).Not a put down...just an observation.

·
Registered
574 Posts
When I worked at a Honda dealer in the early 70's, the factory rep was talking to us about pricing. I had asked about the difference in price between the 175-350-450 twins and the 350-500-750 fours. I asked what the cost difference was to build them. He had a hard time justifying the differences in price, other than they could. Sorry guys, but that was just the golden age of motorcycles for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Kawasaki always has the reputation of making a statement. The right statement is priceless. They definite made a big statement with the release of the H2 and H2R. We don't know the exact production figures for H2 and H2R but we can estimate the sales figure ranging from $300M to $600M. What is the cost of development of the H2 and H2R? When you factor in the warranty cost as well, does the company still profit from the sales?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah...they do.It may SOUND like a LOT of different areas of development WITHIN the company...but that's just it...they aren't farming anything out.The technology is already there.That's my thinking anyway.How much do the electronics for instance cost?The technology has been around for a good while...on all modern sportbikes.There really isn't much 'new' there..on any of em.Then the few carbon panels?Couldn't be TOO expensive in actuality.Doesn't the R1R have carbon panels?MORE than the H2R?IDK..just thinking out loud here...

Now if the H2(or H2R) had come with a FULL carbon bodywork package...THAT would be something VERY nice for this bike.That paint wasn't cheap....and I love my Mirror Black paint scheme...so it's all good;)

There's also 'cheap' carbon fiber,and expensive carbon fiber.Just cause a bike or whatever has CF...regardless of how much,doesn't necessarily mean...EXPENSIVE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts