Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't expect the H2 to be top dog if it's only a track test. MCN already tested the H2 against the Hayabusa and the new R1.

The R1 was faster around the UK's Rockingham track, a tight and twisty circuit.

The H2 left it and the Suzuki for dead in a straight line sprint to 180mph. I can't imagine any H2 owner bought it because they thought it was the fastest track bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If they'd ditch the stupid 200 rear tire and put a 190 on it like it should have come with from the factory these track tests would be completely different. Kawasaki keeps doing stupid sh*t like this and needlessly forcing themselves into the underdog category. They need Ferrari's PR department where they send their best example to the press; properly broken in, correct tires, crew to check oil, pressures, fuel, geometry etc. But more than anything, that 200 rear on a track is a useless handicap and any bike mag should know that. Kawasaki should also send their own rider for timed laps due to the lengthy learning curve of riding the H2 and deciphering the 90 different traction control combinations. OF COURSE it's going to lose in the hands of those journalists; they don't know what they're doing to begin with, they'll ride a 10k bike a lot differently than a 25k one - and once the bike scares them either due to cost of crashing or violent power delivery, they're going to back off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't really care how it is going to classify in this test as it will be judge depending some criterion but still I am curious of what these guys will say about it. To me what count the most is the feeling and the sensation that you get when you ride a bike (That why all my dirt bike are two stroke :) ) and I am pretty sure the H2 is on the top of the list in that department.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't really care how it is going to classify in this test as it will be judge depending some criterion but still I am curious of what these guys will say about it. To me what count the most is the feeling and the sensation that you get when you ride a bike (That why all my dirt bike are two stroke :) ) and I am pretty sure the H2 is on the top of the list in that department.
I know what you mean. I'm more in for seeing this just out of curiosity since I like looking at the grand scheme of things getting an overall feel like that instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If they'd ditch the stupid 200 rear tire and put a 190 on it like it should have come with from the factory these track tests would be completely different. Kawasaki keeps doing stupid sh*t like this and needlessly forcing themselves into the underdog category. They need Ferrari's PR department where they send their best example to the press; properly broken in, correct tires, crew to check oil, pressures, fuel, geometry etc. But more than anything, that 200 rear on a track is a useless handicap and any bike mag should know that. Kawasaki should also send their own rider for timed laps due to the lengthy learning curve of riding the H2 and deciphering the 90 different traction control combinations. OF COURSE it's going to lose in the hands of those journalists; they don't know what they're doing to begin with, they'll ride a 10k bike a lot differently than a 25k one - and once the bike scares them either due to cost of crashing or violent power delivery, they're going to back off.
When journalists that do it day in/day out can't figure it out, what are 99% of owners going to do... :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don t know. 1199 panigale has the same tire, i think that's not the problem...

Where I can find something about this test?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a theory regarding the 200/55...

The H2R was the main bike from which everything was developed (if one believes the blurbs). The H2R runs a 190/65 rear. Maybe the traction control algorithms, etc. rely on a bigger tyre, speedo too, which is why the 200/55 was chosen...

As for rim size, 6" rim... Same as ZX10R, etc...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
To be fair to the journalists, they tested the bike that we bought. To test a specially prepared one-off with different rubber and set-up to the bike Kawasaki is supplying to H2 buyers would be a fraud. Just like the specially prepared cars which establish a claimed fuel economy or fastest lap of the Nürburgring are a fraud - because that's not what's sold to customers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You do know that the 200 has been widely used in roadracing the past few years,right?

·
Registered
85 Posts
1299 panigale has the same 200/55 and here around the Europe is the fastest street Bike on track.

So the problem if the h2 is slow it s not for sure the size of the tire.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don t know. 1199 panigale has the same tire, i think that's not the problem...

Where I can find something about this test?
It will be in Fast Bikes magazine - published in a month or so - and on Bike Channel, a satellite tv show here in the UK - not sure when that will be aired but I'll keep an eye open for it .............

·
Registered
89 Posts
So.............. What's wrong with a 200 tire, especially if the rim is wide enough to give a usable profile ?
Clearly you've never switched on the same bike. The wider profile looks cooler and sounds BA when they're selling bikes (Kawasaki has been doing this since 2000 and it drives me nuts). Wider tire = longer lean. Taller tire = quicker lean. Try it. You'll be completely p*ssed off you ever had a 200 on your bike in the first place and you'll never own another one. Looks great in the pics, probably helps sell bikes, totally pointless if you plan to turn. That said, if you're going to the drag strip and you're gonna let some air out to increase your contact patch you might benefit from a 200, otherwise, lose it, lose, lose it.

I don't care if Carl Foggerty rose from the grave, slapped ia 200 on a Panigale and destroyed the TT record. That would merely be a testament to his skill. Drop to a 190 and the H2 will turn like a 10R. Why do you think they put it on the R in the first place? It's designed for the track, not the drag strip.

It's not cheating if the bike mags have a dialed in bike. What comes out of the box is raw material. Is it cheating if a 300 pound guy rides it with a 120 pound guys settings? Is it cheating to run track tires on a track? Sure, a tune with an extra 50 hp and different internals would be wrong but having the bike setup properly for the venue and rider is completely fair. Having somebody there to explain the electronics is completely fair. Those guys aren't going to read the manual before they set out. They're going to get on it and whatever happens when they're in the seat is IT. The ambient temp could dial back the power, somebody could accidentally turn on rain mode, they could have greasy sh*t overheated tires, there could be too much oil in it - they're never gonna look or care.

Ferrari is smart enough to do this. They make sure they always have their best foot forward and the person doing the review is qualified to give one. They don't cheat - they just make sure human error and Murphey's law don't conspire to ruin a product's image. Kawasaki wants to be king of the hill, they should behave like it. You'd think the humiliation endured during the year 2000 would be forever ingrained in their consciousness as a moment to never repeat...yet here we are again. They have the better product, make sure the journalists know it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts