Ninja H2 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m definitely competing in the Texas Mile which is running March 24-26th
I’ll probably register for the 25th & 26th Sat/Sun, and arrive on Fri to tech my bike.
If anyone else is going I figure we could pit together and help each other out with pics & video, etc..

https://www.texasmile.net/

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good luck man.

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’m definitely competing in the Texas Mile which is running March 24-26th
I’ll probably register for the 25th & 26th Sat/Sun, and arrive on Fri to tech my bike.
If anyone else is going I figure we could pit together and help each other out with pics & video, etc..

https://www.texasmile.net/

It appears that I will be able to enter with my H2R. It would be good to pit together.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I might be down for this but there's a lot to consider?

Is there some type of qualification procedure (like at the Ohio Mile) to do the full Texas mile?
What's the bike prep involved? Is it run what you brung? hahahahaha

I need some incentive to take the drive from NY.

With all the big talkers on this forum it would be cool if more participated and made it a Forum Grudge match kind of deal.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there some type of qualification procedure (like at the Ohio Mile) to do the full Texas mile?
What's the bike prep involved? I need some incentive to take the drive from NY.
first of all go to the link I provided and read, it's all there. The short answer to your question is yes & no. If you are new to this then you would have to do 1 controlled run in the C class, then 1 controlled run in the B class (a bit faster), then a run in the A class, speed not to exceed 200mph, then you can do your 4th run in AA class wide open. However if you have racing license already then you could be allowed to start in one of the higher classes. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to talk my way into starting in the B class using my roadracing license & experience, but whatever... As for driving from NY, I'm coming from San Diego over 20hrs of driving, so you can do it ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
first of all go to the link I provided and read, it's all there. The short answer to your question is yes & no. If you are new to this then you would have to do 1 controlled run in the C class, then 1 controlled run in the B class (a bit faster), then a run in the A class, speed not to exceed 200mph, then you can do your 4th run in AA class wide open. However if you have racing license already then you could be allowed to start in one of the higher classes. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to talk my way into starting in the B class using my roadracing license & experience, but whatever... As for driving from NY, I'm coming from San Diego over 20hrs of driving, so you can do it ;)
Thanks. I ended up going to that site and saw the rules on the licensing.

Gonna be windy in March though. ..... Sigh, I'm already making excuses. hahahahahahah

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna be windy in March though.
Yeahhhh, I'm hoping not, don't dig the wind. My buddy from TX said March is tornado season in TX, I didn't need to hear that! But that's why I'm planning to run Sat & Sun in case one of the days is a bad wind day and the other day is good for running.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm registered!! to compete Sat & Sun
can't wait!
and thanks to Bob for the preparation tips ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Envious of you Yanks. until I got into Roadkill I only heard of the salt flats at Bonny and how know a little more about the various "mile" speed freaks go to over the US.

Not many places in the UK we can try out top speed runs. And where we could many locals complain and the councils stop the racing or running of the events.

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm registered!! to compete Sat & Sun
can't wait!
and thanks to Bob for the preparation tips ;)
If you meant this Bob then I'm happy if I've been of help. :D

About the wind, we often get blustery conditions on the runway at Elvington and while it will cut down top speeds, unless it's from behind, the H2 behaves a lot better at speed than some of the other bikes. The faster Hayabusa turbos in our club are using more streamlining, bigger fairings, long tails and so forth. These set-ups are evil in high winds, the H2 is much worse for aero's but doesn't react so badly.

Photo by Becci Ellis Photography is of my friend Mike, he'd been battling a side wind throughout the mile, it dropped as he neared the speed trap and he opened the throttle. Result was a 215 mph wheelie, slightly crossed up with the back wheel spinning - and that was a Hayabusa turbo with stock bodywork. I was running my H2 the same day with no real problems.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sold out! :-(
Sh*t you're right! just looked at the website and registration is closed.
That was fast. Registration opened last Sunday evening which is when I signed up.
Glad I didn't wait.. BTW I signed up for their track video package so I'll bring back some good footage to share.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yup. A friend hit me up on Facebook when they were down to their last 20 available spots but I bowed out. I don't feel like driving 25hrs.

I will be going to Loring though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got a msg from Rickey Gadson and he is going to be at the Texas Mile next month, I'm stoked he will be there. I'm gonna bend his ear a bit..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Is the Texas Mile just one-way?

The reason I ask is because of the likelihood of it being windy. If the wind isn't assisting it will be worth taking an extra sprocket or two so you can select the appropriate gearing.

Also the Go-Pro position Terry. I found it difficult to mount one on my H2 because the ideal spot for the camera mount is just where your head needs to be when tucked in. Believe me you need to tuck on the H2, it's not very aerodynamic and a good position is worth several mph.

Best of luck to all riders, looking forward to your news. My first test-and-tune day at Elvington is March 20th and it can be cold and windy there too. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the Texas Mile just one-way? If the wind isn't assisting it will be worth taking an extra sprocket or two so you can select the appropriate gearing.

Also the Go-Pro position Terry. I found it difficult to mount one on my H2 because the ideal spot for the camera mount is just where your head needs to be when tucked in. Believe me you need to tuck on the H2, it's not very aerodynamic and a good position is worth several mph.
Good call Bob! I was just planning on gearing 91/41 and going as is, but after your suggestion I will bring the stock sprockets in case we have a head wind. thnx.

As for GoPro not to worry I've got that covered. Before going to the track last weekend I installed a RAM mount in the steering stem (pics below). I know your first thought is tach obstruction but it wasn't, didn't bother me on the roadracing track so the straight will be no problem. BTW I'm just about finished editing that footage from last weekend, I'll post it up today for you guys to look at. Also the Texas Mile offers a professional video package which I've already paid for, I talked to the owner and they will use a 6 camera (manned) crew and edit it together to show my best run (including the GoPro footage on my bike). So I'll have some good footage to share with you guys.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Good call Bob! I was just planning on gearing 91/41 and going as is, but after your suggestion I will bring the stock sprockets in case we have a head wind. thnx.

As for GoPro not to worry I've got that covered. Before going to the track last weekend I installed a RAM mount in the steering stem......
Excellent. In fact I went the other way with the sprockets at a meeting last year. I'd set the bike up using 19/43 and on my first run it hit the rev-limiter in top gear. One thing I love with the H2 is how easy it is to swap sprockets without having to remove the wheel. Took me about 15 minutes and I was back running with 19/42.

That RAM mount looks rather good, I may invest in one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts