Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the ride to the office this morning my bike went into rain mode - seemingly all on it's own. It might have been in rain mode as soon as I started it but I didn't notice until I was a few blocks away. I tried to turn it off but I just couldn't.

So, my owners manual is at home and I'm at the office.

How do I turn the rain mode off?

Press and hold the MODE button. Use the up and down buttons until you get RAIN MODE. Press MODE until I see OFF then press and hold the MODE button until the menu screen is turned off. Is this correct?
I never see an OFF option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Greg

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Wish I could help ya Fireball...Sounds like you're doing the right procedure...it should definitely have an off feature.Is it displaying 'rain' or something in the display when you're riding?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yes...push and hold the mode button to display the 'settings' display.Use the upper switch(or lower) to display'rain'.Push the mode button.Now toggle 'on' or 'off' button(upper or lower).Push mode button.There should now be no white umbrella showing on the outer display lamps.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try holding the up toggle/button for a few (5sec) and it should turn off. That happened to me and then I realized after the fact that I had actually turned it on when it happened again. Noticed it when opening her up a bit and went down one gear too many and she surprised me by quickly coming off the ground.

Held on and was like "Oh Shizz nit" laughed and saw what I had done when it came on. Holding the up toggle/arrow for 5sec should kick her out of rain mode.

Let me know it that helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone. I'll go down to the parkade this morning and give it a try.

The bike is just no fun with rain mode on. Fun police!

Hopefully this'll work.

Greg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine has changed KTRC modes and gone into rain mode at start-up by itself as well.
It has also turned on KQS by itself.
Seems to happen when the battery voltage goes under 12.4.
If I don't run the bike for a couple of days it does this.
My alarm tells me the battery voltage,so I've narrowed it down to this.
She's been at the dealer on show for the last week until I get back from Thailand,so my dealer is checking it out.
Going to pet a tender on and plug in every night anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine has changed KTRC modes and gone into rain mode at start-up by itself as well.
It has also turned on KQS by itself.
Seems to happen when the battery voltage goes under 12.4.
If I don't run the bike for a couple of days it does this.
My alarm tells me the battery voltage,so I've narrowed it down to this.
She's been at the dealer on show for the last week until I get back from Thailand,so my dealer is checking it out.
Going to pet a tender on and plug in every night anyway.
Hey Flipr,please let me know how your bike goes with the voltage,mine does the same with the voltage drop,I can see the drop each day,I have been monitoring mine for the last week just watching how it behaves,a few weeks ago I went a week with out riding it (7 days) and when I went to start it she was flat had to hook up the charger.never thought a battery would drain so fast

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"Seems to happen when the battery voltage goes under 12.4."..yep,this will cause this.Or removing battery connections.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You'd think Kawi would get this straightened out. 2011 10r non abs have many electrical issues due to tiny ass battery to save weight. Literally can barely start bike, it's hilarious. But the abs model has a bigger bat so I'd assume h2 would have bigger bayttery but maybe it's just too much crap. Mine would flash the esd light. Supposedly caused by lack of volts

·
Registered
57 Posts
The ECU is most likely doing a hard reset during engine cranking. The 12.4 is just an indicator of how weak the battery is and how low it will go while cranking.

The H2, like most bikes, does not need the ECU functioning to crank the starter. The likely scenario is the initial current draw when you hit the starter button is dropping the system voltage below the ECU standby voltage forcing it into a hard reset condition (same as disconnecting the battery). As the starter continues to crank the current draw eases up enough to allow the ECU to function and start the bike.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to turn off rain mode - but it didn't seem right. I'll work through the manual over the weekend.

Rain mode = no fun.

Greg

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Can anyone tell me IF the steering damper bolts are supposed to allow the unit to move freely.I don't mean like disconnected or something...but able to be turned forward(roll)and backwards(roll).Thanks all.Don't remember it being like this at first...it could have been however.It looks like the mounting bolts are not all the way in....supposed to be like this?It may have been snug when brand new and never run.IDK.

Also had a starting deal happen...rode her over a hundred miles...stopped for gas.When I went to fire er up,she stalled at first.Then a second time.Also,that RAIN MODE lamp came on...but on the third start...she lives!All indicators were out.Had her do this once before when I first started her up from the shop.Been fine until today.And was fine after she started.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Can anyone tell me IF the steering damper bolts are supposed to allow the unit to move freely.I don't mean like disconnected or something...but able to be turned forward(roll)and backwards(roll).Thanks all.Don't remember it being like this at first...it could have been however.It looks like the mounting bolts are not all the way in....supposed to be like this?It may have been snug when brand new and never run.IDK.

Also had a starting deal happen...rode her over a hundred miles...stopped for gas.When I went to fire er up,she stalled at first.Then a second time.Also,that RAIN MODE lamp came on...but on the third start...she lives!All indicators were out.Had her do this once before when I first started her up from the shop.Been fine until today.And was fine after she started.
You can lift and rotate the damper freely. You can't rip it right off the bike but you can sorta flip it a little. It's the same one this on their other bikes if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps it's programmed differently idk. But I think your all good

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Thanks Turtle...I looked at some pics of the steering tree....in the pics the bolts were just like mine....so's all okay...thanks again;)

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
The steering damper has to be mounted on ball joints in order to ensure that it doesn't bind up ... the result of that is that it can be twisted to and fro slightly. It's normal.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I managed to get rain mode when resetting the trip meter the other day. A nuisance but being able to select it without going into the setting mode is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I noticed with mine,it looked like it changed when I was riding...could have been my thumb hitting the select switch accidently when using the turn indicator switch.Probably all it was.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems this bike really wants to be in rain mode!

Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts