Ninja H2 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi any recommendations for removing light swirl marks light scratches ? Someone said use a heat gun to active the self healing paint but what about something like Maguire's scratch remover any one tried it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Pete, i am assuming yours is a 2019 and up which has the self healing paint. The best way to remove light swirl marks is to take it to a detailing shop to have them buff it out. I did the same then they used PPF- Paint Protection Film and it's looking brand new again. Some people had it ceramic coated or used PPF soon as it came out of the crate for a peace of mind and long lasting paint protection. Hope this helps, cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Pete, i am assuming yours is a 2019 and up which has the self healing paint. The best way to remove light swirl marks is to take it to a detailing shop to have them buff it out. I did the same then they used PPF- Paint Protection Film and it's looking brand new again. Some people had it ceramic coated or used PPF soon as it came out of the crate for a peace of mind and long lasting paint protection. Hope this helps, cheers!
Yes 21 model, so they buffed it and then wrapped it in a clear ? Did they put the clear on the tank too?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Hi any recommendations for removing light swirl marks light scratches ? Someone said use a heat gun to active the self healing paint but what about something like Maguire's scratch remover any one tried it?
Pete… use a heat gun. The swirl marks will disappear rapidly.
Warning: I used PPF (I am an installer)… Xpel ultimate on my 2021 nose cone. I had to reposition a section, and when pulling it back up, it pulled off the clear coat! I had it replaced under warranty. I have not re-ppf’d it for fear of having the same issue again. I really really want it protected, but I am afraid, and afraid they won’t warranty a second time (they recommend not using PPF).
Since I had the damaged nose cone I experimented with other areas on the self-healing. I put scratches in with my finger nail pretty aggressively, and they disappeared instantly with a heat gun. Pretty cool actually. Also, when digging in with my nail, you could feel that the clear was a bit spongy… suggesting that it might defend well against impact from a rock or something.
Hope so.
I actually have a video of it working.

P.s. Since this happened, I emailed Kawasaki asking what IS safe to use on the paint. I asked specifically about some things, snd they gave me an epic CYA response.
They said not to use:
-PPF
-70% Isopropyl alcohol
-Bugslide (enzyme bug remover)
-Scratch protection pads (like for the lower part of your tank to protect against belt buckles)
-carnauba wax
-ceramic coat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete… use a heat gun. The swirl marks will disappear rapidly.
Warning: I used PPF (I am an installer)… Xpel ultimate on my 2021 nose cone. I had to reposition a section, and when pulling it back up, it pulled off the clear coat! I had it replaced under warranty. I have not re-ppf’d it for fear of having the same issue again. I really really want it protected, but I am afraid, and afraid they won’t warranty a second time (they recommend not using PPF).
Since I had the damaged nose cone I experimented with other areas on the self-healing. I put scratches in with my finger nail pretty aggressively, and they disappeared instantly with a heat gun. Pretty cool actually. Also, when digging in with my nail, you could feel that the clear was a bit spongy… suggesting that it might defend well against impact from a rock or something.
Hope so.
I actually have a video of it working.

P.s. Since this happened, I emailed Kawasaki asking what IS safe to use on the paint. I asked specifically about some things, snd they gave me an epic CYA response.
They said not to use:
-PPF
-70% Isopropyl alcohol
-Bugslide (enzyme bug remover)
-Scratch protection pads (like for the lower part of your tank to protect against belt buckles)
-carnauba wax
-ceramic coat
Yep I don't think I'll be sticking any ppf on it I'll definitely try the heat gun , I'm surprised they said no ceramic coat

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Yep I don't think I'll be sticking any ppf on it I'll definitely try the heat gun , I'm surprised they said no ceramic coat
Incidentally, I just rough pulled off (without prepping or steaming like you should) a bunch of what I had already put down on the old nose cone just to see what would happen. It did not pull up the clear coat, so I am guessing that it was an anomaly. Still freaks me out, so I won’t be using it anymore.
The heat gun works really well, and you can get very hot… so no need to be too careful. Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes 21 model, so they buffed it and then wrapped it in a clear ? Did they put the clear on the tank too?
Mine came with a clear on the tank already, yes they buffed it and then used PPF specifically 3M which comes with a 3yr warranty. There is plenty of write ups about this on this forum over the years that you can look up in the search bar. The other guy that commented issue must be one or two out of a bunch.. plenty have ceramic coated or used PPF without issues for years with no issues. I guess the heat gun will remove them but if you dont coat or use ppf then it will happen again and i don't know how many times you can keep doing that.. Anyway i am happy with mine no issues, good luck bud!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts