Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, who is interested in having our h2's make a few more pounds of boost to increase the fun factor?

I spoke with Don Guhl and inquired about supercharger gearing for more boost.
He said he was looking into it but wasn't sure what interest he would get.

Please post up if your interested.

1. mralbuquerque
2. Somefun
3. Edinir

·
Registered
674 Posts
gears seems like a expensive way to upgrade ( i may be entirely wrong but any time i wanted gears cut it was never cheap or simple)
what about fitting a bigger compressor wheel and machining the housing to fit or casting a bigger housing
its a common upgrade on supercharged water craft

·
Registered
85 Posts
The problem should be if you have more pressure you need more air like the H2r. The top of the engine it s completly different any it have more boost but also more possibility to get the air

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interested, but with concerns. How much faster will the impeller need to turn to have meaningful gain in boost and will it be reasonably reliable? But yes, interested. Appreciate very much what Don has already done to help us achieve our performance goals.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I actually did talk to a gear manufacturer about this. And I have new spare gears, chain, and tensioner, for development work. Just a little low on the funds to get it done right now. But if there is enough interest, I might move forward. The more units made, the cheaper it gets.

The big advantage is in the low-mid rpm, imo. Building boost more quickly for critical street/drag operating ranges.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
LOL...I think I'll leave mine as is...it's quite 'exciting' right now;)You might,maybe,have airflow issues with just the one intake operating.With that headlamp assembly right there,opening up both ports may be a problem?

·
Registered
211 Posts
LOL...I think I'll leave mine as is...it's quite 'exciting' right now;)You might,maybe,have airflow issues with just the one intake operating.With that headlamp assembly right there,opening up both ports may be a problem?
It's been shown you can spin them to near 14k on the stock gears. So, really, for most street use, all you are doing is bringing up the boost earlier. The time you spend at 13.5k+ is minor, but more boost at lower rpm...you can use that on every ride. Imo.

RPM is cycles of wear. If you can make the same boost/power at 13k as you would at 14k, there is actually a longevity improvement.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So you mean I'll have to put my KTRC on 3?That's no fun;)'2' is iffy enough.

Set mine on '2'+...that ruined everything wheelywise.Tried '2'-that wasn't any different than 'KTRC OFF'...WTF?2 seems pretty good...but she still doesn't come back to earth very quickly...she still wants to throw me off.This is not good:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
The problem should be if you have more pressure you need more air like the H2r. The top of the engine it s completly different any it have more boost but also more possibility to get the air
Amen. This is insane. All you'd do with increased boost is AT BEST collapse your filter. This is without a doubt the most ill-conceived idea that's ever been put forth for a modification. The R makes over 330+ HP with nothing more than a larger intake and different tune. All the potential in the world is sitting right there if any of you could grasp the importance of airflow and you guys wanna re-engineer the one part on the bike that's already MORE than sufficient?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"AT BEST collapse your filter"...well,my DNA won't collapse...pretty sure about that.That paper thingy...I could see that?

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is a very common upgrade for supercharged cars, so it is hardly uncharted territory. The expense is the development. Cutting gears is fairly simple with modern equipment, but getting them made in small batches drives the cost up. There will be some R&D involved as I am not aware of anyone even checking the boost on one of these, much less having a plan for a horsepower increase. I am guessing the H2 is in the 6 to 10# of boost area, so changes could easily be made to increase this in any increment someone wants. With the sophisticated electronics, we should be able to avoid hurting the motor. The extra load on the motor at full boost will stress things, but Kawasaki has pretty good engineering, so I am guessing a 25% bump would be within reason.

Reactions: Nessuno

·
Registered
210 Posts
how much boost do these bikes make?
i want a gauge that shows it in psi
i dont like them upside down pointing fingers
how many psi is equal to one upside down pointing finger?
wtf? where they thinking

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yep...I don't quite get that either.That's the boost temp?(apparently according to the display wording).What do I need that for?Unless I'm missing something here?Is that also showing PSI?IDK.I've never noticed what it was showing at full throttle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is a very common upgrade for supercharged cars, so it is hardly uncharted territory. The expense is the development. Cutting gears is fairly simple with modern equipment, but getting them made in small batches drives the cost up. There will be some R&D involved as I am not aware of anyone even checking the boost on one of these, much less having a plan for a horsepower increase. I am guessing the H2 is in the 6 to 10# of boost area, so changes could easily be made to increase this in any increment someone wants. With the sophisticated electronics, we should be able to avoid hurting the motor. The extra load on the motor at full boost will stress things, but Kawasaki has pretty good engineering, so I am guessing a 25% bump would be within reason.
Yeah but WHY? The bike already makes more power than most of you could possibly use. If you need more, either go buy an R (you'll have $50k in your H2 the first time you blow up that motor outside of warranty anyway) or figure out how to open up that second intake and get an R size airbox shoehorned in there.

You guys are trying to re-engineer something you clearly don't understand and then comparing it to how it works in cars. Instead of trying to outdo a company with endless resources and brainpower with "well it worked on a Chevy" reasoning, perhaps some of you should actually learn how to ride the bike first. Trust me; you figure out how to operate the launch control and ride full tilt without the electronic nannies, or lose a few of those extra pounds, I think you'll find the bike already has more power than you need to kill just about everything. The R has bragging rights for power but even the guys riding those have serious problems getting all that power to the ground.

Re-gearing the H2's supercharger is a fools errand and an expensive lesson in what you don't know. IB weighs a metric ton and he's killing everything with little more than a tune and a pipe. Before you try to out think a Japanese dude who designs jet engines for a living, maybe try it 650ib's way first.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"Yeah but WHY?"...because they can?Or not...depending.People poo-pooed this bike from day one...now it's really being tested,in the real world.And upgraded along the way.The serious potential of this H2 is being revealed.By guys like these who are going into uncharted territory.My hats off to em.You only find out by pushing the 'limits'.I said at the beginning of this bike...Kawasaki already said the H2 motor was fully capable of handling 1.5 times the stress of the factory configuration.Now were starting to really hit the meat of this statement.People like Warp and 650 and Don Guhl (among others here)are doing the legwork.They should be patted on the back in the least for being the 'guinea pigs' of this new bike.That's my opinion.

If the allied forces had kept the P-51 in it's original configuration,it would have been a virtual lemon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
More boost at lower rpm is a plus. Collapsing filter....how much resistance do you think there is...LSR bikes run 30+ psi on a K&N? LMAO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
H2Rdworking, I grasp plenty, sir. For you to suggest that I (or any other person on this forum) do not is ridiculous. I'm getting sick of your demeaning method of addressing individuals and groups. Let me give you some advice. Use your brain before you speak (or type) and don't look down upon all of humanity whilst assuming you are the most intelligent being created. I assure you, sir, that you are not.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Big Boost

I am guessing the H2 is in the 6 to 10# of boost area, so changes could easily be made to increase this in any increment someone wants. With the sophisticated electronics, we should be able to avoid hurting the motor. The extra load on the motor at full boost will stress things, but Kawasaki has pretty good engineering, so I am guessing a 25% bump would be within reason.
I'd like to weigh in on this discussion about increasing boost. I'll not address the mechanics of how to accomplish it on our H2s as I've not explored that direction, ...yet.

Ed, you suggest a 25% increase in boost would be in reason. I'm in absolute agreement with you. Here's why.

My salt bike safely runs 32 lbs. boost. I had one dyno session where we screwed up horribly and hit 42 lbs. for a few seconds before I frantically chopped the power. No harm done that time! Shook in my shoes for a bit though. Anyhow, I did increase the sizes of both the head bolts and case bolts in addition to O-ringing the heads and using a copper head gasket. I have to admit I blew the head gasket on a run which was later attributed to another blunder on the dyno that overheated the motor. This bike started life as an '85 Kawa 750 turbo and stock, boost was nine pounds. It now runs, flat out at 32 lbs. for five miles plus. I'd say that certainly is testament to Kawasaki's engineering!

Nine lbs. to 32 lbs. boost is a stratospheric increase above the super mild 25% boost increase you advocate. Given Kawasaki has had 30 years of engineering expertise between their original puffer bike to our H2s, I'd be more then willing to bump boost 75% over stock with no additional strengthening measures. I foresee a streetable and livable 325 at the tire for our H2s in the very near future.

The engineering prowess that I believe is here among some of our members will help make this happen. Changing the supercharger gear ratio is an excellent internal starting point and a no brainer in my book.

So Ed, 25% bump? I'm on the bandwagon!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts