Ninja H2 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had to replace my SC chain as it was that badly affected by stage 2 gears it could stand alone once removed from bike. Dealer reckons it was due to smaller gears having a tighter turning circle caused this....tuner said he only seen similar on racing r6's, yamaha used to supply cam chains as they revved that high chains would'nt last....only comparing as both chains are quite alike. anyone else heard or seen this....if i get pic from shop ill post....old chain is off to kawa hq im told

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sprockets are still bigger than crank sprocket on timing chain , and they are same chain on both
what do the sprockets look like ?

·
Registered
425 Posts
The price to pay for you being the research & development
Stuff happens
Glad at least you noticed it before it affected the engine

·
Registered
587 Posts
There are guys with over 15,000 miles using stage 2 gears on the factory supercharger chain, so it's either installation error, or the gears were not correctly made.

·
Registered
105 Posts
[QUOTE....old chain is off to kawa hq im told[/QUOTE]

Odd that Kawi would be interested in looking at the chain if damage was caused by something they didn't make?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"old chain is off to kawa hq im told"..are you trying to get a replacement under warranty?If so...they will be able to tell if the gears have been switched.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another possibility... If the chain tension is too tight the oil film will wring out and the bushings will gall and wear out. If not mistaken there are oil squirters pointed right at the chain so the slack area should get continuous flow of oil to keep the bushings happy. I doubt the wear is from smaller diameter sprocket. Each link will bend X degrees as it rotates around the sprocket. To figure the link angle you divide 360° by the number of teeth. And the more teeth there are the less effect each tooth has and the less each link bends. Less bend = less wear.

My $.02 guess is too tight chain or using 0w20 oil.

·
Registered
674 Posts
interestingly enough the SE has no oiler holes in the gear and no hollow bolt , i expect there is enough oil splash from the crank and clutch to adequately lubricate the chain,
if the gear pitch is wrong it will excessively wear the chain and i think the sprockets would not look so good either
bit like putting a new rear drive chain on old sprockets

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gears were swapped out sent kawa hq pics they requested chain also. im happy bike is back and sorted dont think they will inspect it csi style and if they do im already sorted. gears are fine no markings so guessing pitch or fact this bike is riden hard has stressed chain. i still have no pics but am told chain is able to stand upright on its own lol.....and it is marked in places somehow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for your input and sorry i have not the time to post more or give more details. Dealer is miles away and i am super busy with work life/family and new build

1 - 13 of 13 Posts