Ninja H2 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was cruising on the freeway today and suddenly the bike surged. I looked down and almost every light was flashing on the dash, the speedo was reading O and the quickshifter was non-functional. Most prominenly the KLCM OFF was flashing.

The bike felt fine otherwise and not like it was in "Limp home" mode. I pulled over and cycled the key on and off but it did the same thing, although it started up just fine.

My ECU was reflashed by Brocks and I have a Shorai lithium battery installed. I'm hoping it isn't anything to do with the ECU cause I know what the dealer will say if I take it in.

Anyone have a similar situation?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Start checking the obvious first. Connections and anything and everything you fooled with from the stock configuration. Very likely its an easy answer before it will be a difficult one.

Ontological Parsimony is your friend.

NOLA

·
Registered
42 Posts
>Anyone have a similar situation?

Nope. Other than tail tidy, radguard, oem raised bar ends and LiFe battery, all stock.

No issues after 5k+ miles other than frozen smiles. ECU hacking is not 100%.

Gotta like all the red loctite used on this bad boy from factory.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think NOLA is probably correct. If you've had the ECU out for a reflash you should check that everything is plugged back in properly as a first instance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought an ecu from Brock's and had it flashed and when I installed it my whole cluster went crazy, all lights were flashing, rain mode, traction control etc. I then turned the bike of and restarted it then it was fine. This is the reason I bought an ecu from Brock so I could keep the original in case something went wrong especially since there was still a warranty on the bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought an ecu from Brock's and had it flashed and when I installed it my whole cluster went crazy, all lights were flashing, rain mode, traction control etc. I then turned the bike of and restarted it then it was fine. This is the reason I bought an ecu from Brock so I could keep the original in case something went wrong especially since there was still a warranty on the bike.
Yeah that's standard procedure for the first start up with the flashed ECU. Still...gotta take it apart and check the connects....:(

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Battery too. Start there.

Edit:....Wait rewind. When it did the flashy dash thing on the road did the bike kill or stay running ? Do you have a short video clip of it doing it when you start it now ?

NOLA

·
Registered
702 Posts
You gotta be careful with those Lithium batteries.

I recently put one in my MV and my starter solenoid exploded and melted the fuse inside of it.

Pull that battery out and go back to either Gel or Acid for the time being, until you figure it out.

Yes, the ECU goes all crazy after a flash. That's normal.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I just had a lithium battery try to burn down my custom FXR while charging - filled my whole garage with acrid smoke. Glad my wife and son were there to move the bike outside until i could get home. Luckily, the fire stayed inside the battery compartment. It was an off brand that came with the bike, my guess is that the board failed while charging? I went to autozone and purchased a lead acid as Full Spectrum, the brand we carry and have never had a failure in 7 years, does not have one to fit the bike - I'll carry the extra weight.

Start with the battery.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had a lithium battery try to burn down my custom FXR while charging - filled my whole garage with acrid smoke. Glad my wife and son were there to move the bike outside until i could get home. Luckily, the fire stayed inside the battery compartment. It was an off brand that came with the bike, my guess is that the board failed while charging? I went to autozone and purchased a lead acid as Full Spectrum, the brand we carry and have never had a failure in 7 years, does not have one to fit the bike - I'll carry the extra weight.

Start with the battery.

Brock
Brocks Performance
Hey Brock -
yeah that was my first thought but all tests now point to the PC you guys sold me with the ECU flash. Basically it ain't working, and the bike runs OK without it. So it's off to Power Commander to sort this out...hopefully they'll just send me a new one and we'll be good. Stay tuned.

PS. I have run Shorai lithium batteries in eight of my bikes for the last couple years with zero problems, for what that's worth......

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
A quality lithium battery should have internal short-circuit protection. Unfortunately they are not all built like this.

The problem is that heat build-up in these batteries is extremely rapid if they are charged at the wrong voltage.

Get the charging voltage wrong, say by using a lead acid battery charger on a depleted lithium battery, and one cell will die first causing a chain reaction as the other cells also die. When a cell short-circuits it heats up, pretty soon you have a fire.

Most manufacturers of lithium-iron batteries require specific chargers be used because standard chargers may be incapable of correctly reading the voltage of the battery and applying the correct charge.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hey Brock -
yeah that was my first thought but all tests now point to the PC you guys sold me with the ECU flash. Basically it ain't working, and the bike runs OK without it. So it's off to Power Commander to sort this out...hopefully they'll just send me a new one and we'll be good. Stay tuned.

PS. I have run Shorai lithium batteries in eight of my bikes for the last couple years with zero problems, for what that's worth......
If the bike runs ok without it, that's certainly step one of it being bad - it does happen. Dynojet is usually pretty good about it, let us know how it goes.

I have had a Shorai in my bagger for about a year - so far so good. The Harelys are exceptionally hard on batteries, I assume it's all of the vibration.
I have had a our Full Spectrum in my S1000RR since 2010, the bike basically sits, sometimes for 6 months at a time or longer, it always fires right up - we don't charge it, no need.

@Bob C, we have used the same multi charger for years that's worked with all of our lithium batteries. We have now installed a charging station with a next generation charger that auto detects standard vs. lithium with enhanced over-charge protection. I think I just had a bad battery. It didn't like to hold a charge either, up can't be too safe.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK so finally the problem was found. It wasn't the PC nor the ECU. I had to take it to a Kawasaki dealer who put it though a whole system of tests to find that the read wheel speed sensor had been mucked up by the folks who installed my carbon wheels, and was grounding out and causing the electronic faults. Phew. $500 later..... :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts