Ninja H2 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably do a quick video about this on my channel but wanted to drop a quick thread on the subject.

This season, for whatever reason I've been struggling in faster corners. I wasn't confident pitching the bike on its side in 100+mph corners. Having gained about 15 pounds last winter something seemed amiss with my suspension adjustment.

After several outings and research I finally determined that the rebound damping settings weren't ideal. In my Kawasaki manual, I believe it states that there are 2.5 turns of adjustment on the rear rebound adjuster screw. The manual is incorrect. There are 3 full turns of adjustment. Mine was set to 2 turns out from full stiff setting. The rebound screw is the screw located at the very bottom of the shock on the left side of the bike at roughly the height of the upper part of the chain (there's a picture of it in the owners manual for your reference).

After setting the adjustment to 1 turn out (stiffer), the bike was literally transformed. I gained 10mph in the same corner (I have before and after video proof that I will post at some point) and the bike was way more stable.

What tipped me off is that mid corner, even while steady on the throttle, the rear shock would decompress causing a "Wallowy" sensation while leaned over and causing me to chop the throttle. It was a mess and I couldn't go fast at Summit Point this year. Increasing the damping made the decompression more gradual and I am now able to 1) crack the throttle on the apex with confidence, and 2) stay on maintenance throttle in longer curves for a more stable experience.

After sorting the rear, I also added 2 clicks of rebound to the front forks to keep the front from popping back up after applying brakes and that helped as well.

Current settings:

Front Sag: 30mm (I might even recommend 35mm to use nearly all of the fork travel. The H2 seems to have a lot of fork travel)
Rear Sag: 30mm
Front Rebound: 11 clicks out from full stiff (stock setting is 13 clicks. Add 2 turns in clockwise direction)
Rear Rebound: 1 turn out from full stiff (turn it 1 full rotation in the counterclockwise direction after first having rotated it to its rightmost/clockwise position)
Rider Weight with Gear: Approx 250lbs

I don't have data for the compression settings because most of you should tune based on your preference over bumps depending on the type of roads or tracks near you. To start I would recommend keeping all compression settings in the middle of the adjustment range or the stock settings.

Front Compression: ?
Rear Hi Speed Compression: ?
Rear Low Speed Compression: ?

If any of you are feeling a wallowy chassis when getting on it, if your sag is set, your rear rebound should be the next thing you touch. I think 1 turn out is a good starting point if you are 210lbs or heavier.

·
Registered
891 Posts
A "wollow" in the rear most likely your shock is too soft or your (ass is too fat) >:D

no issues from the rear, it's solid, but then I have the Ohlins shock
the front end issues we have been trying to deal with is quick/fast bouncing (like a jackhammer effect) when running through high-speed turns. My builder has always felt that my front end is too stiff and based on my descriptions of what's happening he thinks too much rebound as well. He just ordered and tried to install K-tech DDS for internals but found that they don't fit in our forks after all, so we're still looking.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A "wollow" in the rear most likely your shock is too soft or your (ass is too fat) >:D
I'm definitely fat but when sag is set correctly, which it is in my case, a Wollow can be dialed out with rebound if there is enough range of adjustment and if you're in the ballpark as far as spring rate is concerned.

You're not wrong either. A too soft spring rate will also cause a wallow and or vagueness at high speed. I'm glad I got that crap sorted out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am very very happy with the suspension on the '17. Once set up it inspires confidence.
The rear end needed some preload added to match my weight (190lbs), and one click of reboud, the front has actually needed a click less of preload and a click more of comp and rebound, smoothed right out. I would like to see what dropping triple 5mm feels like.
Hit over 40+ degrees of lean on a little road by house yesterday. Not bad for day three. I am slow, I know, give me some acclimatization time and I will improve that significantly. I need to get a track day or two sorted right away. Need to find her song without the worries of the street. Trying to treat her right.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very very happy with the suspension on the '17. Once set up it inspires confidence.
The rear end needed some preload added to match my weight (190lbs), and one click of reboud, the front has actually needed a click less of preload and a click more of comp and rebound, smoothed right out. I would like to see what dropping triple 5mm feels like.
Hit over 40+ degrees of lean on a little road by house yesterday. Not bad for day three. I am slow, I know, give me some acclimatization time and I will improve that significantly. I need to get a track day or two sorted right away. Need to find her song without the worries of the street. Trying to treat her right.

CONGRATS on finally getting your '17!!!! I wish I had a Lean Angle Sensor. Lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you sir! Yeah, I am absolutely blown away by this machine. It is so far beyond my expectations. The engine sound, the ease with which it transitions, the braking is intuitive, the front dips deep with more confidence than i have ever felt. Just flawless. Breathtaking. And her physical presence is crazy. Pictures do not do these machines justice.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree h2madness, its like the proverbial elephant, once seen (or ridden!;), cant be unseen. Nothing comes close, she is so powerful and violent, yet civilized and controlled all at the same time.
signed,
Totally smitten.
Lol :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts