Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am collecting my new 2016 H2 later today.

Is it AFR safe to remove the ugly stock muffler, or should i wait until i get the full exhaust and ECU re-flash?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I am collecting my new 2016 H2 later today.

Is it AFR safe to remove the ugly stock muffler, or should i wait until i get the full exhaust and ECU re-flash?
You didn't say what you were going to fit in place of the stock muffler. You weren't suggesting running the bike with an open pipe?

There aren't any changes required when removing the stock muffler to replace it with another, like the Akrapovic which we get in the UK.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the headers and cat .... if its too loud i have a Ti Akro muffler from another bike lying around, and a 24" Ti straight pipe from a project bike.

I removed the muffler from my 2012 BMW s1000rr when it was new, and the noise was fine.

In Florida its no big deal, as i ride in the middle of nowhere with ear plugs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It'll run just fine without the big can, I ran it for most of the season last year like that while I tried to work out my exhaust situation.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That's a cool pic Knolly. When I showed up at tech inspection they were like uh uh, not because of noise levels but because of no muffler.

While waiting for Brock to finish the full exhaust I ran for a short while w/ the same thing, just the muffler removed. It's loud but honestly that's all it is, loud,,, sounds like junk compared to a full system without the Cat.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You really should not be running your bikes this way without the muffler.
The engine needs the back-pressure that the muffler provides.
Without this back-pressure you will damage your engine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I didn't know you would even try running a bike like this without the end can of some sort. Yes I believe it wouldn't run ideal as it would be designed to run with some sort back pressure, but I wouldn't think it would damage the engine. After all some exhaust systems are straight through with virtually no back pressure, but these are tuned to the engine normally. The US is really cowboy country huh :) You would get shot here riding on the street like that.
Good luck with the new bike!
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
it's a bit lean. if i remember correct it was something around 13-13,5 during acceleration and 14-14,5 when cruising. But i also had installed a dna filter when this was measured.

i think that cat is producing more backpressure than any open system so it would be fine without the muffler.

·
Registered
376 Posts
it's a bit lean. if i remember correct it was something around 13-13,5 during acceleration and 14-14,5 when cruising. But i also had installed a dna filter when this was measured.

i think that cat is producing more backpressure than any open system so it would be fine without the muffler.
Oh Ok if you say so.....

·
Registered
376 Posts
You do no need muffler to provide back pressure.

Disagree? How much back pressure does a h2r have?
I understand the H2 (not talking about the R) would have been tuned for the stock and the replacement Akro exhaust to work within the parameters of the ECU ( for correct fuel mix ratios etc). And from Brock himself has told me both those exhausts are close to each other for flow and performance hence not needing to be flashed for performance. However when I asked Brock about his Alien head slip on at once he told me the fuel map would have to be modified for that exhaust to work properly.

Now......if that's the case running a H2 without any end can would have to be running in a not so ideal way too that's all I am saying. In fact any bike I ever took the cans off and ran sounded great but ran like **** without retuning.
As for the H2R now that's a different ball game as we all know. It has been tuned with the exhaust it has...
That's my understanding anyway....
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
i found some of my earliest logs. at the time i had installed dna filter and rode without the stock muffler. Sorry there's no scaling lines in the graph, i'm using woolich software and it is quite limited when it comes to graphs.

but it's first when you reach over 12k rpm during acceleration the AFR drops, otherwise it's around 13-13,5. It's even worse during cruising, around 14,2 - 14,8. So you definitly need to add fuel if you decide to ride without the muffler. Don't think you need to worry about backpressure though.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
With filter aswell you may need fuel but I do not believe that a standard bike with just an alien head slip on "needs" a remap. Are you sure brick was not referring to a full exhaust? If not then I wouldn't comment further as I do not wish to offend a forum sponsor:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
With filter aswell you may need fuel but I do not believe that a standard bike with just an alien head slip on "needs" a remap. Are you sure brick was not referring to a full exhaust? If not then I wouldn't comment further as I do not wish to offend a forum sponsor:)
Oh excuse me professor Vmax + H2....I happened to be in contact with Brock last week regarding adding to my stock system an Alien head slip on. I asked Brock that same question as in my post, yes if the Alien head slip on would work without a remap? The answer was just as I have posted. No you cannot add the slipon without remapping fuel.
So I think Brock would know....what was that about offending a forum member? :D
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I said I wouldn't want to offend a forum sponsor. Anyone who tells you that a remap is necessary for a slip on may have a horse in that race? Do you understand what I'm trying to say? I could try to write it upside down:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I said I wouldn't want to offend a forum sponsor. Anyone who tells you that a remap is necessary for a slip on may have a horse in that race? Do you understand what I'm trying to say? I could try to write it upside down:)
WoH tuoba I etirw ti sdrawkcab rof uoy...Bikes run like **** without end cans or mufflers in case you haven't noticed. Maybe you should try it and see how your bike performs. We are all grown ups here so if you got something to say, say it...horses huh.....
Oh and by the way... Of course it needs tuning! Geez mate....where you been this last decade...

·
Registered
765 Posts
:) must of taken you ages to write that backwards;)

We will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't take the opinion of someone who also happens to be selling you the exact thing you "need" but, that's up to you. Their are many members here running slip ons or no silencer and they are fine. Gday sport:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts