Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I also posted briefly in the Start Up and Running thread but I'm hoping this warrants it's own thread.

I've had an issue with the bike starting up since I bought it in April.

I uploaded this vid in June showing the problem. This just shows once the bike had already tried to start. I got jack of it not starting as you will be able to tell.

http://tinyurl.com/kawh2

I showed it to the Kawasaki dealer, then they looked at it at my first service. The problem continued to happen and they took the bike for one month starting it every now and then they said they can't replicate the issue. I took the bike home 4 days from then and it happened. And it's been happening on and off since. It doesn't matter if I ride it every day or leave it for a week. It will have an issue turning on.

I am going to take regular videos showing this because it's not right for a new bike. This video shows from today, I just walk up, turn it on, put it in to neutral, then attempt to start. The same issue happened yesterday morning and the other day.. etc. It's got 98 RON fuel in it, and sleeps outside. It's a warm climate here basically all year round.

http://youtu.be/9FzWK8iJOqA

I contacted my Kawasaki dealer who said to me that because they had the bike for one month and couldn't find the issue if I take it back to them then they will charge me to look at it. I find that pretty bad.

I have emailed Kawasaki Australia and waiting for their reply..

I also have another two issues with it. If I ride for about an hour and turn the bike off. I can go in to my house and hear what sounds like the fuel pump working, making noise. This can go on for about another hour. I also told my Kawasaki dealer who said to me, are you a mechanic? No. Well it's just the sound of the fuel leaking pressure or something.. It definitely sounds mechanical, like servos working, not gas escaping..

And finally, my back breaks have been squealing since the start also. I told them about it, they "deglazed" them by rubbing them together or something, but the issue continues. About 1 week after they "deglaze" them it starts squealing again. I asked them to replace them but they refuse, they have "deglazed" them about 3 times I think and they still squeal.

Any advice?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have had this problem since the beginning.

Some suggested restricting the exhaust outlet.
This didn’t work well for mine, but I am still running the stock system.

Mine is almost flawless when using 10% methanol fuel. You could try that, if it’s available in your area…

In the first video it sounded like you may have been opening the throttle bit.
From what I have, heard/learned, not a good idea on this bike.

The buzzing you refer to is normal with key on, engine off.
This is not confirmed, but it sounds like the throttle servo to me…
If this is happening with key off, not right for sure!:eek:

·
Banned
546 Posts
Advice? Yes, stop nitpicking it.

The fuel pump cycles and makes noise occasionally when the bike is off. That's normal. It will make you jump at 3am if you're working quietly in the garage. That's about it. Nothing worthy of complaint nor anything that can be remedied.

The hard starting thing isn't really an issue. I've never owned a motorcycle MV, Ducati, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha that didn't take a few tries to get running. That's part of the experience. It's not a Civic. That second video is how every H2 ever made starts.

Your rear brakes are squeaking because you're riding them. That's the cause almost 100% of the time. You ride them when they're not needed, they heat up, 'glaze' and then resonate against the rotor. I'd wager it's entirely your own fault. You're probably wearing boots with thick soles that are applying unintended pressure to the pedal when you're covering it.

Stop complaining about things that don't matter and try to enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
shotgun15

We have 10% Ethanol fuel here, I think it's 91 RON + 10% Ethanol though, not sure if it's compatible.

I wasn't holding the throttle in the first video at all, just pressing the button like the 2nd video. I moved the front wheel that was it.

Buzzing noise is key out, engine off for up to an hour.

Cliff Secord

Fuel pump cycling all the time is normal? No wonder my battery went flat after 2 weeks without riding.

So you're saying hard starting is ok for a AU$33,000 bike? I came from an AU$9,000 Honda that started perfectly each and every time.

I think you're being a bit rude here, my Honda never had squeaky brakes. I don't ride the brakes.

I would enjoy it if it worked like it should.

·
Registered
240 Posts
shotgun15

We have 10% Ethanol fuel here, I think it's 91 RON + 10% Ethanol though, not sure if it's compatible.

I wasn't holding the throttle in the first video at all, just pressing the button like the 2nd video. I moved the front wheels that was it.

Buzzing noise is key out, engine off for up to an hour.
What a fricken bonehead!

Manual says up to 10% is acceptable, so maybe give it it a try.
Sure worked for me.:D

The noise is a weird one...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Next time you hear the noise with the engine turned off and the key out etc just undo the fuel filler cap to see if the noise stops . Kawasaki are telling you it's the fuel vapour venting , it could well be as it has to vent through the key hole and can " sing " for hours as the fuel vapour / air is forced out .
If you open the fuel cap and it stops you will know what it is .
My H2 does not stop like yours once I've started it , does it do it if you just give it a little rev when it initially starts up ? Does not seem a major problem .

·
Registered
104 Posts
the same here, very simple solution:
1) pull the clutch
2) press the start button and keep it down until rpm reaches 2k
3) release the clutch
I will bounce one time occasionally with minimal effect, but the complete procedure takes less than 2-3 seconds and then it keeps running.
BTW: you will notice front head ligth wont come up until you release the clutch... that probably helps to reduce
drag of the electrical system during startup.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine started fine after 3 weeks, with lightweight battery, and 25f temps. Not sure why the fuel pump would power up with the switch off. In fact, not sure that is possible? Typically, when the switch is off, the fueling circuit has no power.

But if you have an air compressor in the garage...check that, instead!

For the original poster, make sure you leaving the switch in the "off" position! Not the next rotation!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't have that problem, as a matter of fact, I don't have any problems with my Kawasaki H2.

On my H2 revving about 5000 in 3 gear then releasing the throttle, so just gliding, then wanting to accelerate real quick and giving a lot of gas I get a big bang sounding like the transmission is trying to catch up to the motor. Does anyone else get this? Not necessarily 3 gear just an example.
Hmm...

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I first got mine, on a cold start it would cut out like that a few times. I attributed this to being a brand new bike. After about 100 miles it didnt happen anymore. Now with 2500 miles on it, I can walk outside and cold start it right up without cutting out. Now the idle is very slightly unstable at first but smooths out after about 10 seconds, like yours does after it finally starts.

One thing throwing me for a loop is your KCLM blinking and flickering. Mine does not do that. It sounds like it wants to start, so I would check wiring connectors and ground, maybe your battery connections. On my other FI bikes I have found a bad battery or loose connections will wreak havoc on the subsystems.

Ditto on the vapor sing. Mine does that at temps above 80F.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
You say it makes some noises when sitting.Maybe it's something to do with the immobilizer deal?IDK.I think mine made a noise that got my attention one time when I was in the garage doing something.I think so.I don't sit out there and babysit though.Maybe it's making noise at night periodically every night?I do remember thinking..What the **** was that?No biggie though.She's sat for several weeks a few times.It was doing like everyone elses after I redid the exhaust.Once I put the powercommander on there,been fine.First start everytime.

·
Registered
577 Posts
SNIP

One thing throwing me for a loop is your KCLM blinking and flickering. Mine does not do that. It sounds like it wants to start, so I would check wiring connectors and ground, maybe your battery connections. On my other FI bikes I have found a bad battery or loose connections will wreak havoc on the subsystems.
I just watched the two videos and spotted the same thing - something isn't right there ! Mine doesn't do it and starts straight up with no stalling or cutting out

·
Registered
14 Posts
yo man just take the battery out and go up to autozone - they can test it for free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's comments, I will try a few suggestions. Just looking to see whether anyone else is experiencing the same issues or whether I should be getting Kawasaki to be looking in to it further.

Here is a video of the noise from the tank, can you please confirm if it's the noise you hear also (if you do hear noise).

https://youtu.be/D916BGqneFg

Edit: Uploaded non-bugged video.

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sound from tank is just venting.Next time you hear it pop the cap and you'll hear all the pressure release at once.

The starting issues are almost the same as what mine does at low battery voltage.It switches itself into rain mode,like yours and cuts out as well.But yours sounded like it was cranking fine.Next time the rain mode umbrella is on when you turn the ignition on,pop the seat off and check your battery voltage.
I have an alarm that sucks out a few more milliamps,so if I don't start it or ride for a week it will do what yours has done.
A higher quality battery or keeping a tender on may help.
Mine also threw out a cam position sensor fault code at the 1st service which was caused by cranking on a very low voltage.
Ask your dealer if your ecu has any fault codes saved in the memory. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The starting issues are almost the same as what mine does at low battery voltage.It switches itself into rain mode,like yours and cuts out as well.But yours sounded like it was cranking fine.Next time the rain mode umbrella is on when you turn the ignition on,pop the seat off and check your battery voltage..
If you're talking about the first video, the rain umbrella was on that day because it was raining the day before and I had it in rain mode.

But in each video it has the umbrella flashing with KLCM OFF on the dash.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I didn't have any starting issues when mine was factory setup.First time everytime...out the crate.Only when I switched out the Pre chamber and exhaust did it develop issues.That was remedied with a PCV and good map.It's been VERY cold here lately.It will fire up...but stalls briefly once or twice.After that,it's just fine.Fuel flow and pressure I'm guessing.No big deal.I'd imagine there's a slightly less amount of fuel in the rails after sitting for a week or more...even with the pump operating correctly.

I started her this AM...if I went out right now...she'd most likely fire right off and be fine.It's very solid motor and well done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have starting problems too now. It will not start because the battery out of my Kawasaki H2 because it is winter time. **** winter!!! I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and an early spring for who live in that part of the world that has a cold winter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts