Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having issues with their H2's staying running after cold starts?

Mine is taking 3 - 5 times before the "choke" takes hold and idles up...:(

·
Registered
867 Posts

Have you modded the exhaust?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but I only have 130 miles on her. I injured my shoulder from a low side at the track and have not been able to ride. But yep every time I start her she takes a minimum of 4-5 times before she stays running. I'm not to concerned about it, I think the motor is just very tight. Like Silverbird said after a while it should start like normal.

I have and do own other late model Kawis and they are all cold blooded and require at least 2 starts before starting and settling into a high idle for warm up.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It could be the fuel delivery.Maybe the rail gets some air in it?I've no real idea.Probably shouldn't do that...but maybe?Also yeah,maybe it's the mileage.As I said,mine stopped that after a few rides.Motor loosening up some?Taking 4-5 times to start it...that doesn't sound right.But give it some time...you guys are sure your batteries are topped off,right?If you don't have a charger pigtail on there...you might want to consider one.Mine is connected to the battery,then routed into that rear empty space in the tail.I just remove the rear piece(the locking piece)and it's right there(the pigtail),easy to pull out and start charging.(Shorai battery,Shorai charger).

·
Registered
331 Posts
mine did that a few times early on then stopped after few hundred miles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Kawasaki Carb Icing!!!! Famous for it. If it runs right from cold it ain't a Kwaker.

Right,,I'm back out the hot tub time machine, If it runs right from cold it ain't a Kwaker.

Back out the hot tub time machine again , landed 15 yrs ago on my zx12r, If it runs right from cold it ain't a Kwaker.

If anything is wrong its this ( thing ) IT,,over fueling from cold and belching black smoke. Simple fix , blip the throttlle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having this issue with mine. It has 450Km (~280 Mi) on it. I start it in the morning and it conks out, the revs don't get up over 1000. Then I try it again and the dash starts flashing with KLCM OFF and the rain light flashes too. Then it will conk out straight away another 2-3 times if I try to start. Then it will start, revs go over 1000, nearly 2000, then come back to normal about 1100.

I am concerned.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Just to see something...try turning on the key....pump the throttle ONCE.Then hit the starter...see if that does anything.I haven't done this myself...but give it some time...probably just the new motor working in.Everytime you cycle the key,it resets the ECU(partially).I think you'll find it'll stop doing this.Have you gone into the modes with yours?Changed anything?You might want to enter the 'settings' mode...and check your menus in there.Make sure everything is where you want it.

Battery okay?Charged up good?

·
Registered
25 Posts

When I bought mine the sales guy told me that it may start up then stop 2-3 times when you first start it, he went on to say this is normal.

I looked at him a bit perplexed as it sounded like BS, he said they had sold a few and they all seem to do it? He reckoned it had something to do with the engine resetting all the moving parts to fire correctly (to which I'm sure was just BS sales talk) funnily enough my bike starts and runs fine every time and I don't have this issue. Even at the dealership it started first time and ran no issue and the guy seemed surprised.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx for the input guys!

No mods, 650 km’s, it cranks over fine, so the battery seems fine…although could give it a try…

My 12R has always done this…although not this bad, even after weeks. My other fuelly Kawi’s are perfect on startup, hot or cold.

It takes 3 – 5 try’s to get it to stay running, then it chugs for 5 secs and finally fast idle kicks in.:eek:

Personally, don’t feel this is right in this day and age!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I bought mine the sales guy told me that it may start up then stop 2-3 times when you first start it, he went on to say this is normal.

I looked at him a bit perplexed as it sounded like BS, he said they had sold a few and they all seem to do it? He reckoned it had something to do with the engine resetting all the moving parts to fire correctly (to which I'm sure was just BS sales talk) funnily enough my bike starts and runs fine every time and I don't have this issue. Even at the dealership it started first time and ran no issue and the guy seemed surprised.
I was told that too upon first fire up, which I performed, and it did take several tries. Did not expect it to carry on though...

Have 2 supercharged and have now had 3 drive by wire vehicles, they are fine!

Makes a person feel motorcycle tech is STILL behind automotive :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
it should be normal, when the sales gave me the hand-over briefing, they mentioned that it's normal to have this at cold start. I sorta experience this a lot in the first few hundred K's, say on average 2-3 tries before firing it up, then after a while it normally start up with one try. I won't be worrying about this too much.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If "normal" was a couple tries dead cold, I could live with that.

One time it flat out refused to go until I cycled the key, then it went immediately.
Another time, after an hour or so, of course with spectators looking on, it took 3 tries.

That got the troops talking:eek:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Guys if your having a hard time starting for first time morning start put your hand over the exhaust pipe outlet to cap it off and start it that way then let it run for about two to three seconds until the fast idle kicks in and then slowly remove your hand... It works every time for me. I had to do this after opening up the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it's because now that it's freer flowing it needs about a second more fuel on the cold start up inrichment map.....I've talked to Don on this and he's going to try that as soon as he gets a bike again......

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys if your having a hard time starting for first time morning start put your hand over the exhaust pipe outlet to cap it off and start it that way then let it run for about two to three seconds until the fast idle kicks in and then slowly remove your hand... It works every time for me. I had to do this after opening up the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it's because now that it's freer flowing it needs about a second more fuel on the cold start up inrichment map.....I've talked to Don on this and he's going to try that as soon as he gets a bike again......
Hmmm...interesting...will give it a try...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder if this is related to a country spec? Are all you guys in the US? I read an earlier post that overfilling the tank could flood the canister on US bikes and cause idling problems?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if this is related to a country spec? Are all you guys in the US? I read an earlier post that overfilling the tank could flood the canister on US bikes and cause idling problems?
Mine is Canadian, although I don't think there is a difference anymore.

Good point on the overfilling, but for mine it is happening no matter if it sits 2 hours or a week...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts