Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What engine temps are you 'stage 2 SC gear' guys experiencing in traffic?

I am still trying to determine what is going on with mine, it seems to be all over the place with the engine temps!

Before the Stage 2 gears in was steady 150F all the time unless i was WOT even in 100F weather cruising at 100 mph.

After adding the stage 2 gears and adjusting for fueling it seems like when i pull up to a stop light the temps rise very quickly!

Also when i was going thru a small town at 40mph for 2 miles, no stopping, it went up by 20F very quickly to 170F!

Going thru my community at 15 mph it went from 160F to 185F in one mile! That seems excessive!

I added a new radiator cap, drainer the reservoir coolant to only 50% level, and burped the **** out of the system.

Fans are working fine and coming on at 195F when i tested in the garage, and both are blowing hot air, no coolant leaks.

If the bike doesn't like 75F WTF will i do come summer and 110F here in FL!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think its just coincidence that its happening and not related to the gears but to the taking apart of the components.

I will bet its still cooling related and nothing to do with gears. They just arent doing anthing to make any type of signifigant heat at that low speed and low boost. Dude, its cooling issues.

I am ALWAYS with the easiest answer is usually it, and its usually whatever you just fuked with that is not put back right. I still think its something overlooked on the reassembly. If it wasnt, there would be a ton of stage two guys with the same issue.

Maybe some type of gunk got in the cooling system while it was apart and it now blocking thermostat ? Pull the thermostat and look. Or do a full coolant swap ? I know its not the optimal answer.

NOLA

·
Registered
587 Posts
Your temps make no sense. 150F all the time cruising even in 100F weather! That seems way to low to me!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the temperature of your bike........at all. You're over thinking this.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What engine temps are you 'stage 2 SC gear' guys experiencing in traffic?

I am still trying to determine what is going on with mine, it seems to be all over the place with the engine temps!

Before the Stage 2 gears in was steady 150F all the time unless i was WOT even in 100F weather cruising at 100 mph.

After adding the stage 2 gears and adjusting for fueling it seems like when i pull up to a stop light the temps rise very quickly!

Also when i was going thru a small town at 40mph for 2 miles, no stopping, it went up by 20F very quickly to 170F!

Going thru my community at 15 mph it went from 160F to 185F in one mile! That seems excessive!

I added a new radiator cap, drainer the reservoir coolant to only 50% level, and burped the **** out of the system.

Fans are working fine and coming on at 195F when i tested in the garage, and both are blowing hot air, no coolant leaks.

If the bike doesn't like 75F WTF will i do come summer and 110F here in FL!

Thermostat probably doesn't open until 185-190 F , I wouldn't worry too much unless you were seeing over 200 often

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Even seeing 190-200 in a traffic jam is perfectly normal.

So long as the fans maintain and lower the temps until it comes up again, there is nothing wrong.

Going through somewhere slow like 15mph the temperature is going to increase as there isn't much wind to cool it down like cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Did you do anything that might have introduced air into the system? Or do you smell anti-freeze when you stop?
A big chunk of air trapped in the system will heat like crazy. Or a leak will cause the boiling point to drop dramatically. Boiling fluid will also bring up temps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you do anything that might have introduced air into the system? Or do you smell anti-freeze when you stop?
A big chunk of air trapped in the system will heat like crazy. Or a leak will cause the boiling point to drop dramatically. Boiling fluid will also bring up temps.
No leaks or smell.

Even though i have burped the system on both sides of the motor i hope that is the issue. I have done 8k miles on two different H2's and the temps just don't seem right, they go up and down way too frequently!

Does the dealer have an efficient way to burp the system or can i buy some device that does it for you?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
No leaks or smell.

Even though i have burped the system on both sides of the motor i hope that is the issue. I have done 8k miles on two different H2's and the temps just don't seem right, they go up and down way too frequently!

Does the dealer have an efficient way to burp the system or can i buy some device that does it for you?
The dealer does exactly what the service manual states. You can use a pressure checker to force a burp. When I do a burp, I lean the bike to both sides. I don't know how it is on the H2 because hopefully they have shipped it and it is on it's way to me.
Reading your post again, that 150 on a 100 degree day seems rather cool to me. It may be that your sensor is hokey.

·
Registered
587 Posts
^The sensor could very well be wonky, but the temps appear normal to me and exactly what I would see....other than 150f in 100F weather lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^The sensor could very well be wonky, but the temps appear normal to me and exactly what I would see....other than 150f in 100F weather lol
Two bad sensors on two separate H2's, i doubt it.

I have always been amazed at how cool these bike have run ..... until now.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
A lot of automotive temp gauges are fudged nowadays ... possibly all of them ... precisely to avoid people coming back to the dealer with similar complaints!

VW coolant temp gauges display 90 degrees C if the actual coolant temperature is anywhere between about 75 C and 100 C (which is the normal operating range on those cars).

On this bike (and typical Kawasaki in general) the normal operating range is 60 C to 100 C and it may exceed 100 C if stopped in traffic.

There's no reason that changing the supercharger gears would change the way the bike runs when puttering around in traffic. The supercharger pretty much isn't doing anything anyway under those conditions.

BUT ... The associated tuning may have affected it, IF they changed something about part-load operation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A lot of automotive temp gauges are fudged nowadays ... possibly all of them ... precisely to avoid people coming back to the dealer with similar complaints!

VW coolant temp gauges display 90 degrees C if the actual coolant temperature is anywhere between about 75 C and 100 C (which is the normal operating range on those cars).

On this bike (and typical Kawasaki in general) the normal operating range is 60 C to 100 C and it may exceed 100 C if stopped in traffic.

There's no reason that changing the supercharger gears would change the way the bike runs when puttering around in traffic. The supercharger pretty much isn't doing anything anyway under those conditions.

BUT ... The associated tuning may have affected it, IF they changed something about part-load operation.
That was my next test, to go back to Nate's map and see if that helps. On his CT map the bike ran cool 150F but he said it would be rich for FL.

On Nate's map it made 260 rwhp, my dyno guy tuned it for FL and it now makes 270 rwhp but seems to have temp issues, so i wonder if it is a bit too lean on part throttle which would cause the temps to rise.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wow, 150 on a hot day. That is impressive. There is some serious engineering. I would expect 180ish. If I remember (I hate winter) my ZX10 averages 180ish.
That being said if there is an air bubble around the sensor it will read hot.
Also did you change coolant or use the coolant you drained out? If you replaced it, it could be the different types of coolant causing it. Or the coolant you added was crap. Some can actually froth up with high impeller speeds and that will make things heat up. Did you check the thermostat?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, 150 on a hot day. That is impressive. There is some serious engineering. I would expect 180ish. If I remember (I hate winter) my ZX10 averages 180ish.
That being said if there is an air bubble around the sensor it will read hot.
Also did you change coolant or use the coolant you drained out? If you replaced it, it could be the different types of coolant causing it. Or the coolant you added was crap. Some can actually froth up with high impeller speeds and that will make things heat up. Did you check the thermostat?
My 2016 zx10r averages 185F while cruising at 100 mph on 100 degree day vs the H2 150F on the same day. BIG improvement!

I reused the same coolant and topped off with new Kawasaki coolant, the same stuff that was in the bike from the factory.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My 2016 zx10r averages 185F while cruising at 100 mph on 100 degree day vs the H2 150F on the same day. BIG improvement!

I reused the same coolant and topped off with new Kawasaki coolant, the same stuff that was in the bike from the factory.
Now you can see why I was surprised. Your 10r runs about the same temp.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well my suspicions were correct, head gasket has gone on one of the outside water jackets and it only happens under extreme load, max rpm in high gear for over 3/4 mile.

I guess when we dynoed with Q16 it was too much for the stock fuel pump and head gasket!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well my suspicions were correct, head gasket has gone on one of the outside water jackets and it only happens under extreme load, max rpm in high gear for over 3/4 mile.

I guess when we dynoed with Q16 it was too much for the stock fuel pump and head gasket!
That would explain air (gas) in the system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts