Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I cause an uproar, yes, I know that the P16 is a race only filter and the DNA is considered high performance street/Race. I conducted this test to dispute claims that not much more horsepower could be had by changing the filter and increasing air flow.

The graph is posted below. It is evidently clear that the Sprint P16 flows more air than the DNA filter. The AFR jumped up by about .75 of a point and it jumped 10 peak horsepower. Additionally, the top end no longer has that dip that is in so many dyno graphs right before redline. High number on the day was 263HP STD for the sprint VS. 253HP STD for the DNA. (****The DNA dyno'ed higher back in the winter when temps were cooler. The bike was rich when we started the day as it was 20* warmer) The graph below shows the two different runs conducted on the same day within a few minutes of each other. Ambient conditions were stable.

MYTH: There are no gains to be had by changing the DNA air filter

MYTH BUSTED: The Sprint filter showed 10 peak horsepower with no additional tuning. The increased flow resulted in a leaner AFR.

Notes: In all fairness to the DNA, I believe that by leaning the mixture we could claw back some of that horsepower difference but ultimately, based on what I saw today the Sprint P16 will always make more.

Lastly, I played around with the SAE figures and the calculation showed that the Sprint P16 on pump gas matched my run last winter with the DNA filter and the Q16 Race gas. Incredible!

At some point, I would like to do a Sprint P16 dyno with Q16 race gas. .....To Be Continued.....

·
Registered
891 Posts
interesting test, good info.
yeah I have the Sprint in my bike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not really sure why anyone would think a race only filter wouldn't make more power than a street filter but good job. This was a direct swap test correct?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Vmax+h2

I was just thinking that. That would be cool to see the comparison of. I am still not game with the P16, its a race only filter, minimal filtration and very regular maintenance. I do really dig my P08 though

NOLA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Today I switched the OEM filter for the P08 Sprint air filter.
Can´t tell much at the moment, but that theres a very high pitch noise at idle and low rpm.
At first I thought that there must be something loose, but then I realized that the noise is coming directly from the air intake.

I´m really suprised that I didn´t hear that noise with the OEM filter.

Did you have the same experience about that or is there anything wront about my supercharger :-S ??

Thanks,
kind regards,
Phil

·
Registered
427 Posts
Today I switched the OEM filter for the P08 Sprint air filter.
Can´t tell much at the moment, but that theres a very high pitch noise at idle and low rpm.
At first I thought that there must be something loose, but then I realized that the noise is coming directly from the air intake.

I´m really suprised that I didn´t hear that noise with the OEM filter.

Did you have the same experience about that or is there anything wront about my supercharger :-S ??

Thanks,
kind regards,
Phil
Its called supercharger yodeling :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Go to your room and turn on the radio moderately loud.

Grab a pillow and wrap it around your head and note the radio noise.

Take the pillow off your head and wrap a t shirt around your head. Note the radio noise.

This concludes my factory air filter versus aftermarket air filter demonstration.

NOLA.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So, are we saying that the Sprint filter leaned the mixture and this produced more peak power but by the time the mixture has been corrected there would be little HP difference? Makes sense.

Putting it the other way round, if you leaned off the mixture at peak revs with the DNA you would likely get an increase in power. Do we really want to run our H2 motors lean?

Playing around with filters undoubtedly changes air/fuel ratio which alters peak power but this is a supercharged engine. Correct the A/F and the filter makes little difference so I'll stay with the Kawasaki item for now and keep the crap out of my engine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, are we saying that the Sprint filter leaned the mixture and this produced more peak power but by the time the mixture has been corrected there would be little HP difference? Makes sense.

Putting it the other way round, if you leaned off the mixture at peak revs with the DNA you would likely get an increase in power. Do we really want to run our H2 motors lean?

Playing around with filters undoubtedly changes air/fuel ratio which alters peak power but this is a supercharged engine. Correct the A/F and the filter makes little difference so I'll stay with the Kawasaki item for now and keep the crap out of my engine.

Not too far off but there's a slight flaw in this rationale.

With the DNA, to lean the mixture you couldn't add more air by volume because the filter flows what it flows. So you you would remove fuel from the map to achieve the desired AFR. The Sprint filter allows more air in by volume which is what caused the jump in AFR. So you would add more fuel to balance the AFR. If you tweak the AFR to make it the same for both filters the Sprint will always make more HP because there is simply more air/fuel volume available for combustion.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BobC,

The Kawasaki filter is leaving 15hp on the table. The DNA does a good job of catching particles while allowing better flow.

I will be testing a P08 at some point against the DNA for a more direct comparison.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
BobC,

The Kawasaki filter is leaving 15hp on the table. The DNA does a good job of catching particles while allowing better flow.

I will be testing a P08 at some point against the DNA for a more direct comparison.
Thanks, I've just fitted the Akrapovic full system. DNA filter is on order and a dyno' session arranged to map it. Hoping for a good power increase.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
BobC,

Hey @Turbo329, if you don't mind stating publically that Brock's Performance and/or Sprint Filter had no hand in your unbiased, independent test results... I would gladly send you a P08 to test also ;)

Send me an e-mail with your info: [email protected]

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey @Turbo329, if you don't mind stating publically that Brock's Performance and/or Sprint Filter had no hand in your unbiased, independent test results... I would gladly send you a P08 to test also.

Send me an e-mail with your info: [email protected]

Brock
Brocks Performance

Sure Brock.

*****Brock's Performance and Sprint Filter had no hand in my unbiased, independent test results. Additionally, my test was not done in an effort to put down anyone's product but rather to investigate which filter option would have the greatest impact on my personal setup for track riding conditions.*****

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Thanks @Turbo329,

We are a DNA distributor also - they make the best oiled filters on the market, that's for certain! They work as well as the other guys race filters, IMO -but the DNA filters out more than bugs and birds. Many people like them very much and so do we here at Brock's. I have personally met the owners, great people with a fantastic company.

People like to have a choice in products, so we offer the two best solutions (Sprint Filter and DNA) our in house testing has ever shown.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks @Turbo329,

We are a DNA distributor also - they make the best oiled filters on the market, that's for certain! They work as well as the other guys race filters, IMO -but the DNA filters out more than bugs and birds. Many people like them very much and so do we here at Brock's. I have personally met the owners, great people with a fantastic company.

People like to have a choice in products, so we offer the two best solutions (Sprint Filter and DNA) our in house testing has ever shown.

Brock
Brocks Performance
Thanks Brock. Yes, I had/have no issues with my DNA filter as well, and at the moment it is STILL my filter of choice for my street riding. I only threw the Sprint P16 in for track days and will use it for future Land Speed Events.

Also, I'm a long time DNA user and have one in my 2005 MV Agusta F4 1000S.

***So just in case DNA is reading/watching, in my opinion, the DNA is the best cotton/oiled filter on the market. :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turbo329 did you ever get to dyno the new po8 filter Brock sells for $239? Do you have a dynochart?

Thanks,
The P08 that Brock sent me is still in the box. I haven't tested it yet. My dyno operator has been having some health/personal issues so he hasn't been as accessible as in the past. Once he becomes available and I get my tune finalized I'm going to do another comparo between the three filters. P08, P16, and DNA.

Thanks for asking. It's still on my radar.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts