Ninja H2 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my winter servicing on the H2. And I purposely left the Sprint P08-F85 filter go for 5000 miles in the dirtiest, nastiest, dustiest, place you could imagine....Reno, NV. We have construction trucks lined up on our freeways. It is a dustbowl of sand, silt, talc, dustdevils, blowing sand and more dust, everything. Like everyone else I worry about what gets through a filter. Most use the Sprint P08, I took a chance and got the P08-F85 which flows about 4 times the air and is waterproof. So here are the results of this long term test (the bike has 23,000 on it and the filter has 19,000). As you can see the filter is just nasty, really nasty. BUT the clean side is spotless , not a trace of detectable dirt. One picture shows the crumpled towel which I just took a swipe off the outside filter carrier, the towel has nothing more than the oily residue that is the color of the oil. Nothing on the inside. I have been riding bikes for 50 years, I was a professional motorcycle mechanic for a 15, I have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on my bikes. And this just astounds me as to how clean it is on the inside. I do attribute some of the cleanliness to the oil film that gets spit up into the filter, which is just fine with me. All I can say is WOW.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
I know what you are saying and yes it’s certainly an effective filter but the longer you leave it in there the better it get at filtering even smaller and smaller particles until the point it’s starving the engine of air on a bike that runs rich from new .
Why leave it so long ? I’m only upset as you are putting my 2500 miles 2015 to shame .

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you are saying and yes it’s certainly an effective filter but the longer you leave it in there the better it get at filtering even smaller and smaller particles until the point it’s starving the engine of air on a bike that runs rich from new .
Why leave it so long ? I’m only upset as you are putting my 2500 miles 2015 to shame .
I wanted to see if the filter became clogged enough to hurt performance. Nothing detectable and you could still see through the filter. And I wanted the piece of mind. And I do like it dirty because of the extra filtering. But the dirt does hang on to the oil on the filter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just like the old days when filters had oil in the bottom that was to be replace when doing a service, It was amazing how dirty the oil got. Anyway I put a K&N in my H2, immediate increase in throttle response with a noticeable intake roar. I must admit the OEM one was very dirty at the recommended service interval. It would be interesting to se the result of bad filtration in these machines. What would be noticeable first would be shiny marks on the Super Charger vanes and eventually wear then wear in the bore I guess.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just like the old days when filters had oil in the bottom that was to be replace when doing a service, It was amazing how dirty the oil got. Anyway I put a K&N in my H2, immediate increase in throttle response with a noticeable intake roar. I must admit the OEM one was very dirty at the recommended service interval. It would be interesting to se the result of bad filtration in these machines. What would be noticeable first would be shiny marks on the Super Charger vanes and eventually wear then wear in the bore I guess.
I tried a K&N first and couldn't tell the difference. Then I went to the Sprint from the K&N and noticed the same thing you did.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good stuff! I do love how easy they are to clean. Just some compressed air, and bam back to brand new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my sprint F1 out after i found dirt buildup on the impeller and went back to an DNA oiled filter. I found that if it gets oily it seeps the dirt through the filter. Shame though, it was nice ,and wasn't cheap either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am doing my winter servicing on the H2. And I purposely left the Sprint P08-F85 filter go for 5000 miles in the dirtiest, nastiest, dustiest, place you could imagine....Reno, NV. We have construction trucks lined up on our freeways. It is a dustbowl of sand, silt, talc, dustdevils, blowing sand and more dust, everything. Like everyone else I worry about what gets through a filter. Most use the Sprint P08, I took a chance and got the P08-F85 which flows about 4 times the air and is waterproof. So here are the results of this long term test (the bike has 23,000 on it and the filter has 19,000). As you can see the filter is just nasty, really nasty. BUT the clean side is spotless , not a trace of detectable dirt. One picture shows the crumpled towel which I just took a swipe off the outside filter carrier, the towel has nothing more than the oily residue that is the color of the oil. Nothing on the inside. I have been riding bikes for 50 years, I was a professional motorcycle mechanic for a 15, I have logged hundreds of thousands of miles on my bikes. And this just astounds me as to how clean it is on the inside. I do attribute some of the cleanliness to the oil film that gets spit up into the filter, which is just fine with me. All I can say is WOW.
So how did you clean that? Was compressed air adequate? Reason I ask is my filters get kinda nasty and was wondering If I should "wash" it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how did you clean that? Was compressed air adequate? Reason I ask is my filters get kinda nasty and was wondering If I should "wash" it.
Just as the instructions said, blew compressed air through it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just as the instructions said, blew compressed air through it.
Directions also noted that if needed to wash and blow dry and slap it in too....That's why I brought it up, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Directions also noted that if needed to wash and blow dry and slap it in too....That's why I brought it up, Thanks!
The residual dirt attracts dirt. The filter breathes enough, cleaning the air is good thing. I like the oil on the filter to catch dirt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts