Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, I know most everyone on here has an H2 and many love their bike. Just turns out the H2 is not for me. I got excited about it when all the hype was building up on it and decided to purchase. I should have known the ergos were not for me when they described them as "slightly more relaxed than the 10R". I purchased the H2 to replace my highly built up Triumph Thruxton I had recently sold. I have multiple bikes and I have always had one that is my weekend Hot Rod so to speak. I figure the H2 would be a very worthy replacement. Turns out I just am not comfortable on the bike at all, some of it physical some of it mental.
The ergo's are very sporty and I had hoped to change that by raising the bars, but after two different brand of bar risers I just could not get much more than a 1/2 inch rise due to the fairing/tank relationship. If I could have raised it a good 1-1 1/2 inches that may have done it. Part of the problem "for me" is the throttle response, it is a bit too responsive and on the verge of being twitchy. I struggled to ride the bike smoothly and enjoy it. When accelerating hard the bike was a blast to ride, but you just can't ride like that all the time and when just riding along at normal speed limits the H2 was just not comfortable and was work to ride. Also, the turn signal switch was so oddly placed I had to initiate it early so I could concentrate on coming to a stop. On top of that I felt it was just too much work to maintain the finish on this bike and I was always worried about damaging it.
Anyway, I loved that Kawasaki created this bike and I praise them for doing so, it is truly a beautiful bike and the acceleration was like no other. It just was not for me at this point in my life. I did replace it and it took a while to figure out what to replace it with. Though ergos are an issue I was looking for something that ran strong and had a distinctive look and was just enjoyable to Hot Rod around on. I pretty much came to the conclusion that a "Naked" bike would be the ticket and there are more options then ever in this category. Choices were: Aprilla Tuono, Kawaski Z1000, KTM Superduke, Ducati Street Fighter (did not consider the Monster for I owned one not long ago), Ducati Diavel (I know not really a Naked, but thought about it) and the BMW S1000R. Reading the mag reviews and tooling around forums I narrowed it down to the Superduke, S1000R (despite the looks) and the Street Fighter. The Superduke has had great reviews but after researching KTM's quality is not on par with the Japanese and I just was not sure about it. The Tuono was high on my list but the closest dealer is three hours away.
So off I went to Eurotek in OKC to ride the Street Fighter. When I arrived I found they had three bikes sitting under a canopy for test rides, an S1000R, Street Fighter and a Diavel. I pretty much discounted the Diavel but I figured since they offered why not take it for a spin. So I took the Diavel out and as I thought I just did not connect with the bike, it is a bit bulky though it does not feel like it and the seating position was a bit ackward. When I arrived back at the dealer we talked about it and I told him what I was looking for and would very much like to ride the Street fighter. He then asked me why I did not consider the S1R, I explained I was considering it, but just could not get over the looks (same applies to the Z1000). He told me it fits what I was looking for based on what I told him, minus the looks, though I was looking for something distinctive in looks (it is distinctive looking). So I took the S1R out for a spin and from the moment I released the clutch for the first time to the time I arrived back I found the S1R to be so easy to ride (even fast), it just fit me well and it just easy to ride. I knew after a few miles this was the bike for me and did not even ride the Street Fighter since I've owned a couple of Ducs in the past.
It's not the H2 but it does run strong, the bike's tach limiter is set for 9K rpm until break-in is complete then the dealer releases it. So I really did not get to experience the top end but I can tell you that I have not taken it past 7K and it is plenty torquey and fast (have onlyl 400 miles on it now). I am pleasantly surprised at how much umph it has down low and it is by far the best sounding I4 with stock exhaust I have ever experienced. Like I said it's not the H2 but there is plenty of power on hand and the fueling is spot on at all rpms. As for the looks it's growing on me.
I'll keep an eye on the forum for I'm curious to see how the H2 ages and where it's value will be years from now. meanwhile here is a pic of my new steed:

Reactions: yavimaya

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
each to their own man. atleast can say you were part of history :)

did you have any hassles selling it?
That's how I'm looking at it, I had the opportunity to experience it. It sold pretty fast, I think people understand that it's pretty exclusive and it's no longer available. As with purchasing any new vehicle and then selling it I did take a bit of a loss but not anything I couldn't live with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Nice text man i Understand your way and i hope that you have Great Times on your new bike!
That is what we all want our fun our Time our Love on and for motocycles the way of Riding is on every Bike the Same if you take a Look in the riders Heart...

Reactions: OKH2

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your new bike is beautiful and I hope you'll have many a fun rides on it. Gives hope for when I am ready to move up I most likely will be able to find a second hand H2. Was it easy selling your H2?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the new bike, dunno why you have reservations over its looks, think it's pretty sharp.
The side profile is excellent, it's when you looking at it straight on. I knick named her "Arnold" because she looks like Arnold in "Terminator" :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your new bike is beautiful and I hope you'll have many a fun rides on it. Gives hope for when I am ready to move up I most likely will be able to find a second hand H2. Was it easy selling your H2?
It sold within a week just by word of mouth, I had not even posted it anywhere for sale, and local too.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Well I think you did fine.The H2 certainly isn't for everyone.The things you mentioned...the throttle...I fixed mine in a quick hurry!No twitching now.Very secure and smooth.I also modded my seat...made it a bit thicker and changed the seating angle flatter.That pretty much was all I really needed for mine.I can ride it all day and not get uncomfortable.From tucking in to straight up(almost)riding position.The tank grips I got really made a difference.Being able to use your legs(for grip) to free up your torso is one of my needs.Worked out really well for me.I installed the techspec grips...but I cut the grips in two pieces each.I ran the longer piece on the plastic cover at the frame...and the remaining piece I applied to the tank just above that frame deal.Made a world of difference.

Well...you keep posting here...this is YOUR forum.H2 or not,have a blast on that S1R....it looks like a LOT of fun.Happy for ya OKH2.Ride safe brother;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
BMW win again ! Congratulations !
Just before the H2, I saw the same bike than you.
But BMW didn't want to make me an offer and at the same time my brand talked about 2 projets than you known.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Silverbird, I will continue to participate on this forum because of the people, a good bunch. The guys on the S1R forum are a bunch of good guys as well. A poll on their forum indicates the average age range of those that purchased a S1R is 40 years old and up.

You have really taken to the H2 and made it more to your liking, I'm glad you have been able to do so and I know you enjoy riding that monster.

Selnap, is right I did offer it to him when I knew he was looking for one. At the time I was still riding the fence on whether to sale or not. I was going to post it for sale on here first but word got out among friends that I was looking to put the H2 up for sale and it was not long before I got a couple of inquiries. I hang around the motorcycle community here and there are only two H2's in the state and everyone knows it. I'm sure the new owner will be joining here down the road.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Sa'll good OKH2.All good.I'm 6'1" so I HAD to do some modding to mine to fit it right.I didn't want to ditch it.But I thought about it...for about 3 seconds!Haven't ridden my 14 since March.Love the feel of the H2.It's perfect for me.Glad ya were able to sell yours...sweet.You'll find a bike soon I'm sure.Most of the new literbikes out there are VERY nice.Perform very well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i agree that it not for everyone and when i first got i was like how the **** do people ride like this?
comming off old superbikes it was a adjustment i wanted to make
i was holding on to the bars to tight
i was using my arms to hold myself up
i was craneing my neck to see
i was not using my legs properly
it took me about 8 or 900 km to figure it out
its all comming together and making sense now
even the twicthy throttle is starting to feel like home
this bike requires the most precise throttle control of any bike ive ever ridden
just curious how many km did you ride before you decided to let er go?
happy riding
my newest sport bike before this h2 was a 84 750 turbo so....... i was expecting a steep learning curve
i rode mine 290 km today and it was all good and i feel fine but tired going fast on any bike is a good workout
btw im 52 and a little out of shape

Reactions: OKH2

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i agree that it not for everyone and when i first got i was like how the **** do people ride like this?
comming off old superbikes it was a adjustment i wanted to make
i was holding on to the bars to tight
i was using my arms to hold myself up
i was craneing my neck to see
i was not using my legs properly
it took me about 8 or 900 km to figure it out
its all comming together and making sense now
even the twicthy throttle is starting to feel like home
this bike requires the most precise throttle control of any bike ive ever ridden
just curious how many km did you ride before you decided to let er go?
happy riding
my newest sport bike before this h2 was a 84 750 turbo so....... i was expecting a steep learning curve
i rode mine 290 km today and it was all good and i feel fine but tired going fast on any bike is a good workout
btw im 52 and a little out of shape
I can relate I'm 50 this month and a bit out of shape myself. I only put a few hundred miles on it but I have also have some medical issues, disc issue in the neck and back. the issues are manageable but they do limit what I can do without or with limited pain. I really wanted to love the H2, it just did not work for me. How cool would it be for Kawi to make an extreme naked/roadster with the same motor? ;)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what I really would like Kawasaki to do, is develop a midsize sport tourer along the lines of the Concourse 1400 but about 150 - 200 lbs lighter and then utilize the Z800 motor and supercharge it. Have it put out about 140 - 150 hp with 85+ lb. ft. of torque. That would be my ultimate touring bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A little after the fact but the fix for the snatchy throttle lies in the Guhl flash. He has a way to smooth out the throttle response. I have it done to my bike it made a huge difference.
I'm 50 years old and I too struggle with riding the H2 for any lengthy distance. However, the fix for me is my ninja 1000. I enjoy riding it as my daily rider and can go about 350-400 miles in a day without complaining to much. It handles, brakes, accelerates pretty well all while being comfortable.

A friend of mine has the same bike as yours and I got a chance to ride it. It was a lot of fun and I share the same experience as you did in your mini review. Have fun with your new ride!:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts