Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need to know if I have a fault or not so looking for other opinions..... I'm running a totally stock setup with just the akroprovic end can but I am finding the bike does not want to cruise and maintain an exact speed smoothly at anything over 6000rpm ?

It seems to pop and hunt a little when trying to stay at a constant speed and the engines running higher than 6k, it's nothing major but you can definitely feel its there, when the motor is below 5k its smooth as silk trying to hold a steady speed
Seems to only be when its over 6k and there is some boost built up it happens....

Is this a fuelling issue perhaps or is it just like that and cant be changed ?

also any known mods to make the throttle less sensitive ?

Thanks guys,
Pete

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I need to know if I have a fault or not so looking for other opinions..... I'm running a totally stock setup with just the akroprovic end can but I am finding the bike does not want to cruise and maintain an exact speed smoothly at anything over 6000rpm ?

It seems to pop and hunt a little when trying to stay at a constant speed and the engines running higher than 6k, it's nothing major but you can definitely feel its there, when the motor is below 5k its smooth as silk trying to hold a steady speed
Seems to only be when its over 6k and there is some boost built up it happens....

Is this a fuelling issue perhaps or is it just like that and cant be changed ?

also any known mods to make the throttle less sensitive ?

Thanks guys,
Pete

I have a 2017 with just a slip on and everything else bone stock and she is absolutely butter smooth everywhere. No hiccups or stutters or any fueling issues at all, smooth and crisp. I do also notice a certain sensitivity in the on/off throttle transition, what helped for me was adjusting the free play out of the throttle, gives a more predictable pickup that you can adapt to if you arent having to take up slack on every throttle pick up. There are two small adjusters on the cables coming off of the throttle housing. I 'opened' the gap about 3/4 turn on each and then fine adjusted until I had it exactly how I like. Hope that helps. Cheers!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I am finding the bike does not want to cruise and maintain an exact speed smoothly
It seems to pop and hunt a little when trying to stay at a constant speed and the engines running higher than 6k,
This is normal for this bike, it is the supercharger blow-off valve that is turning on/off, it causes the bike to feel like it is surging, really hard to maintain a constant medium throttle when you are just riding down the freeway at a constant speed. You will also hear the blow-off valve make a "flutter" sound when it is doing this. Bike is happiest when at acceleration, not cruising speed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"This is normal for this bike"...I'm with Nobium on this.Mine never acted this way.As for the throttle deal...I also readjusted the throttle play,and added a small rubber o-ring(that fit into the end weight groove) and teflon washer to the inside of the bar end(weight).Then I tightened the bar end weight so it was pushing on the throttle tube slightly.This eliminated the twitchy throttle action.A small dab of locktite keeps it secured.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
To the original poster; what year is your bike?

Kawasaki played with the throttle calibrations supposedly on the later ones.

You can have the ECU reflashed to smooth out the response at small throttle positions.

Mine does not like steady throttle in the lower gears and higher revs. But, there's scant reason to be in those conditions. Upshift, and it's fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
"This is normal for this bike"...I'm with Nobium on this.Mine never acted this way.As for the throttle deal...I also readjusted the throttle play,and added a small rubber o-ring(that fit into the end weight groove) and teflon washer to the inside of the bar end(weight).Then I tightened the bar end weight so it was pushing on the throttle tube slightly.This eliminated the twitchy throttle action.A small dab of locktite keeps it secured.
WOW. You would never pass tech inspection at the track with that. Throttle grip must move freely as to not get stuck open.
You do know they make throttle tamer tubes to replace the stock throttle tube right... I have a Graves installed on my bike. Also throttle mapping to smooth out the twitch throttle... Good luck with your setup though.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
nope,never heard of Graves having parts like that.One thing's for sure,I won't be going to the track.No desire to do that.

"Good luck with your setup though"...thanks.It also works as a cruise control...which is very nice...

"You can have the ECU reflashed to smooth out the response at small throttle positions."...yep.Guhl is most excellent at this little adjustment.
The only kinda of issue I had at first was the sensitivity of the throttle.It simply was TOO sensitive for road riding.Every bump...she wanted to move.Got tired of that pretty quick.

It can stick open...if the driver was somehow knocked off the bike.But the tipover sensor would shut it down as soon as it fell.Besides,it's really NOT that tight.Easy to throttle up and down with no effort.

·
Registered
891 Posts
.It also works as a cruise control...which is very nice...

The only kinda of issue I had at first was the sensitivity of the throttle.It simply was TOO sensitive for road riding.Every bump...she wanted to move.Got tired of that pretty quick..
Well whatever works for you and you are comfortable with, but I gotta say you're scarin me with the throttle stick thing. I know you said you're not going to the track, BUT one of the check they do at tech inspection (every organization) is roll your throttle and make sure it snaps back closed. If it is slow in rolling back or sticks (which happens all the time cause grips move and make contact with the bar end weights) they will tell you to fix it before you'll clear tech. Reason: if it stick when you are going into a corner and you're expecting your bike to slow down and the throttle stays open.. well I think you get the picture.

Smoothing out that twitchy throttle.. not sure if you ever saw my thread on this but my tuner and me spent 4hrs out in the canyons doing throttle mapping to get the H2 to feel like butter. I couldn't ride the track without these adjustments. Here's my thread on that:

http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-general-discussion/18698-throttle-mapping.html

·
Registered
891 Posts
nope,never heard of Graves having parts like that..
this is a Graves throttle tube tamer, it replaces the stock plastic one on your bar. Note where the cables hook in and feed through the well, notice how is not round but oddly shaped... well this makes the throttle turn less aggressive at the initial turn and much more aggressive when closer to wide-open. This is makes for smooth throttle control entering & exiting turns, something the stock H2 is really bad with. There are 2 ways to smooth the throttle out; old school with this throttle tube or new school with throttle mapping & programming. I did both.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Very phallic.
dude did you dig up your thesaurus today? Phallic has to do with psychosexual development.. ok where you goin with this? :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
ALL YOU H2 OWNERS TURN ON THE ELECTRONIC ENGINE BRAKING TO THE (LIGHT SETTING). Go for a long ride and tell me all about how it improved the ridability and back fires and pops. Way smoother throttle response.

·
Registered
891 Posts
ALL YOU H2 OWNERS TURN ON THE ELECTRONIC ENGINE BRAKING TO THE (LIGHT SETTING). Go for a long ride and tell me all about how it improved the ridability and back fires and pops. Way smoother throttle response.
yeah that was the first thing we did before we started my build. Made very little difference.

·
Registered
891 Posts
what?? it has nothing to do with Brocks/Guhl, it's an on/off setting in the H2's menu/tach. It would have nothing to do with a flash.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You know .All you guys on here are chumps.People give information and you think your an expert.I just told you what WORKS.Straight from DON GUHL..It loads the fucking engine. Give it a shot. Turn it OFF when you want to race somebody.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks for the input everyone,

the throttle sensitivity is more of a improvement question and not as important to me as the hunting at constant throttle when above 6k rpms,

its a 2016 bike and it bone stock with the akro slipon can, I have tried the engine breaking setting but it doesn't solve it
concerns me that there are a few here that have absolutely no issues on theirs saying that its silky smooth at all revs ?? this is clearly noticeable on mine at all times above 6k trying to hold an exact speed and now im thinking that there may be a fault ??

I cant flash the ECU on the bike as it will void my 4 year warranty I have on the bike so if others on here have bikes that don't do it and are bone stock, then mine must have some issue going on I presume :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I could hardly tell any difference when this setting is turned on ? is it supposed to make it less engine braking or more ?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"concerns me that there are a few here that have absolutely no issues on theirs saying that its silky smooth at all revs "...okay,I'll clarify what I posted about my bike.

When I rec'd mine..I rode it home.I noticed no hunting.I didn't really 'cruise' at 6K at first.Right after that,I took her out.All stock.I pretty much stayed within the 4K limit...but soon started going up to 6k,then 8K a few times.I did cruise at 6K several times(and above that).The engine performed flawlessly.It held the rpms with no issue.As I said before,the throttle was so sensitive that almost every bump it would 'move'.That wasn't hunting,that was jarring at the throttle grip.I also noticed it kind of popping and 'stuttering' at very low turning manuevers with small rpm inputs.Say,10-20 mph.

I then virtually in the second week or so removed the factory sound chamber.Went with a straight midpipe,and Akra end can...The bike didn't change it's performance..the popping and such.I then sent my ECU to GUHL.He flashed it.Also installed a PC with a Brock's map.Reinstalled ECU...the bike stopped popping and at low rpms it was totally smooth.Adding throttle at low rpms was smooth.This is my 2015 H2.It never did this 'hunting' thing...though I heard several here now who've said theirs does(or did).I'm wondering now...COULD this 'hunting' deal actually be the throttle movement going on as the bike is moving over the road surfaces.I did a small mod to my throttle grip.I added some friction between the bar end and the grip tube.THIS totally stopped any unwanted movement with the throttle.IDK...maybe the throttle action is being misinterpreted here.It's VERY sensitive from the factory.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts