Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my H2 just started jamming when trying to shift. (not all the time) more often than not though. When I up-shift (with clutch or quick-shift) it will skip a gear. Also when I down-shift it does the same thing and skips a gear. I've tired lightly shifting the shift lever and also hit it hard and it doesn't seem to make a difference. This just started doing it for no reason. The bike will go from first to third or 6th to 4th. Sometimes I have to bang the crap out of the shifter to get it in first. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Usually the shifter mechanism has a stop to prevent over shifting like you describe. Its like a semi auto gun going full auto (sorry if that's a sore subject right now, but it explains the point). I suggest you call your dealer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm, my bike has just sytarted exactly the same thing. Skipping a gear going up with or without using the clutch and doing on the downshift as well. Also have found the bike difficult to find first in the the last 2 weeks. Same problem. I wonder if the problem could be related to to the bike above with the lose bolt that is stuck in gear. Anyone else had the same problem? My HS has done 9000ks, has a power commander fitted and a Ackro pipe. Dyno has it at 250HP at the back wheel.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I pulled it apart this morning and was hoping tpo find the bolt that some have found coming lose but that was not the case. I looked at that bolt and checked it, and then looked at the shifter mechanism and it looks to me that a piece of it might have broke off. In these pics you can see the three round things on the linkage. well the smaller one in the middle with the spring on it seems to have a very jagged edge like it broke off. Can anyone confirm this from these photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it looks like that the shifter mechanism is broke. There seems to me a piece missing from looking at the Kaw parts book on line. I'm gonna order a new set up and the oil pan gasket because the part must have fallen in the pan. Or at least I'm hopping.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm sure of it now OZ. I'm just hoping it fell in the pan and I will be able to get it out when I drop the pan. I ordered the parts today it was 90.00. I didn't think that was too bad and I'm hoping she'll be fine after I go through her. I can't ever bring a bike in for service and leave her there.....lol it would be like dropping off your kid at the hospital and saying good luck! Lol::D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Follow my instructions in the link. Do NOTTTTTT drain the coolant. Take the circlip off from the other side of the shifter, leave the washer in place and slide the entire mechanism out from the other side (leave in neutral so you know where to start from)....And inspect the mechanism.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
yep...tab is snapped clean off.NOW,I wonder what would have caused it?Yours is a 2015.Mine is a 2015.Do think there's any possibility that this is a result of the QS downshift function?(the zx10 downshift sensor adjustment).Meaning,it's maybe not sensing at the exact right time causing a bind in the shift mechanism action.I've no idea,or if I'm even making sense with this.
Let me also ask of anyone here.Does that tab ride up against something in there and physically push on something(to limit the movement) when changing gears?Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if a hard downshift...(not just one)could over time start a crack in that tab.Or for that matter,hard upshifts as well.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow my instructions in the link. Do NOTTTTTT drain the coolant. Take the circlip off from the other side of the shifter, leave the washer in place and slide the entire mechanism out from the other side (leave in neutral so you know where to start from)....And inspect the mechanism.

NOLA
Sounds good thanks man!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep...tab is snapped clean off.NOW,I wonder what would have caused it?Yours is a 2015.Mine is a 2015.Do think there's any possibility that this is a result of the QS downshift function?(the zx10 downshift sensor adjustment).Meaning,it's maybe not sensing at the exact right time causing a bind in the shift mechanism action.I've no idea,or if I'm even making sense with this.
Let me also ask of anyone here.Does that tab ride up against something in there and physically push on something(to limit the movement) when changing gears?Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if a hard downshift...(not just one)could over time start a crack in that tab.Or for that matter,hard upshifts as well.
I suspect it might have something to do with that. However the part has been superseded to. New number so they might have seen an issue with it. I won't know till I get it in. My parts guy said I should see it by next Friday.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The quickshifer is probably not the problem, your foot still controls how fast and hard it actually shifts. All a QS does is unload the shift dogs, up or down. They upgraded the part because most likely there had been one or more warranty claims with that problem. Study how a constant mesh transmission works. If it were an air shifter, then it might be the cause.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Before every ride i always inspect my chain really well....i found chain tension plays a big part in sloppy quickshift performance!! That may have been something that was affecting that mechanism over a period of time then it broke entirely.....just a thought. Might be rubbish

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yep...I agree about the chain.There's a sweet spot of adjustment.Definitely can feel when it's starting to change.Although now,at 13K miles...it rarely needs any adjustment.And I don't baby my bike either.Well...sometimes;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@h2madness!

25-35m of vertical movement of chain slack is all thats allowed. With 13k you coming up on sprockets and chain swap soon, no ?

I just did them all on my other bike at 12k. It was showing link binding and had to be changed, and of course sprockets have to also with a new chain.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Actually,I checked recently the front sprocket...it looked fine.Chain seems good.Rear?I think I have one here.Right now it looks okay.I know I have the H2r rear sprocket,used it virtually for two top speed runs.So it's basically new.
But yeah,thanks for the question.I will order some new ones.')

I replaced the front on my 14r(at 50K+miles several times))with the Kawasaki Zephyr front sprocket...I think the 2011 models.Has that rubber dampener on it.I'm wondering if that will fit an H2.Good sprockets.If the spline is the same diameter as the 14r,then it should fit.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought I'd show you guys what broke. Here's the two different shift rods you can see the one with the broken tab. Still can't believe it happened. But I'm glad it wasn't too bad of a fix

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Simple fix and no permanant damage is always good
Warranty?

The zx14 sprocket is 530, h2 525, but the shaft size is the same

1 - 20 of 21 Posts