Ninja H2 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen on the site details of a SpeedAngle lap timer like Racer172 uses, but would like something simpler for my track days. I'm not a dedicated "Trackie" but would like to know my times without getting too expensive about it! I don't need lean angle etc.

Have looked at Racechrono systems in conjunction with a GPS unit, but wondering if any simpler systems are available and fit on the H2.

Cheers,
Don.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob,

Is this with the qstarz-bt-q818xt?

Are you able to show your setup?

Cheers,

Don.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks Rob,

Is this with the qstarz-bt-q818xt?

Are you able to show your setup?

Cheers,

Don.
Yes Don, that is the qstarz I use

You can go either way with set up, I have a very old Nokia E72 that I use with it, I also have the app on my smart phone (sony experia using android), you can go onto the racechrono site and download the apps along with most the circuits around the world

A word of caution, if you use your smart phone for raechrono, dont us the phone in-built GPS as they are generally only 1hz and not very accurate, best to pair it up with with the qstarz and us 10hz setting

Its all very simple once you get going, if you want me to take some pics to show you, let me know

Rob

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rob,

I have looked further at the Qstarz unit, do you have a pic of how you mounted it and do you just leave the phone in your pocket when on track? Or mount that as well? I'm only after the lap timing function (for now) so don't need to see the readout while going along.

Don.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks Rob,

I have looked further at the Qstarz unit, do you have a pic of how you mounted it and do you just leave the phone in your pocket when on track? Or mount that as well? I'm only after the lap timing function (for now) so don't need to see the readout while going along.

Don.
Firstly Don, you dont want to be looking at any lap timer whilst riding, concentrate on looking where you want to go, I mount my qstarz with velcro tape on my clocks, I keep my phone in the pocket in my leathers, it all works very well

I also cover my speedo up, dont want to be looking at that either

Rob

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't look at the speedo either when on track, I'm presuming there is the capacity for recall on the racechrono system that will allow download later for lap times etc. I'm too busy looking where I'm going on track, a lot happens in a very short time!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ok Don, short tuition, hope this helps

Get yourself a qstarz or eqiv gps logger
Use your smart phone or get an old type one (I have an old Nokia E72)
Go to racechrono and download the app to suit your phone
Download the circuits you require if using an old style phone, they come up on a smart phone using location
Pair up your phone and qstarz
Get yourself to a circuit
Mount your GPS (mine is on the clocks, velcro on
Switch on GPS (10HZ) and open the racechrono app on your phone
Toggle to to the circuit you are on and press start
Put the phone in your pocket
Bang in some laps (hopefully some quick ones;))
Come in, pause the timing, go to the app and see your lap times, you can also see sector times, speeds etc and optimum best time

It really is pretty straight forward once you get us to it

Rob

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are a true gentleman and scholar! I don't care what everybody else says about you, it's only scurrilous rumour! (hehe).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ordered the qstarz-bt-q818xt, and downloaded Racechrono.

I'll wait to see how I'm going to mount the unit before looking at the mount they sell.

Thanks Rob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts