Ninja H2 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've been patiently waiting since Shoei released hints of a transition shield. Well, good news. It's here! The much anticipated, eagerly awaited, Shoei Photochromic transition shield is going to be here at Riders Discount this Friday. We are taking pre-orders now and will ship Friday.

The Shoei Photochromic transition shield is available to purchase through our website with retail at $169.99. If you need help placing your order, or have any questions about the product, feel free to give MIKE a call at 866.931.6644 ext. 804. Is email more convenient? Send us a private message through this forum or write to us at FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM, and we'll get back to you right away!

Shoei has teamed up with Transitions Optical, the industry leader of photochromic technology to produce a self-tinting shield of their own for the RF-1200 helmets.

Tinted on the left, clear on the right.

What's great about the Shoei Photochromic shield other than the fact that it is Pinlock ready, is that it is designed to meet industry standard impact resistance. Unlike other transition shields, the Shoei Photochromic transition shield will better handle road debris chucked at your face.

Shoei's Photochromic Transition shield got just as dark as their dark smoke shield with just 23% light transmission in under two minutes time. This means that by the time you walk out to your bike, put your helmet and gloves on, your new shield will have already adapted to the current light conditions.

Can you tell which one is the Photochromic shield and which is the standard dark smoke shield?

No longer will you have to carry a second shield with you or worry about making it home in time before the sun goes down. Order the Shoei Photochromic transition shield from Riders Discount today!

·
Registered
126 Posts
you got yours before the shoei in australia did... i bought a new helmet off the shoei website couple weeks ago aswell as a shiny new transition shield for it.. I wont get the transition shield to mid-late august.. lol...

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you got yours before the shoei in australia did... i bought a new helmet off the shoei website couple weeks ago aswell as a shiny new transition shield for it.. I wont get the transition shield to mid-late august.. lol...
We have had many delays here in the US as well, hopefully Shoei Australia won't be too much longer for you.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The reaction times for darkening and lightening are fairly important and also how the screen reacts to oncoming headlights at night, or even if it's recommended for night use at all.

Full activation in two minutes and fades to 50% transmission in two minutes is quoted. Probably not good for riding through a tunnel then?

·
Registered
587 Posts
The reaction times for darkening and lightening are fairly important and also how the screen reacts to oncoming headlights at night, or even if it's recommended for night use at all.

Full activation in two minutes and fades to 50% transmission in two minutes is quoted. Probably not good for riding through a tunnel then?
Ok I can help here. It takes a few (several) seconds to start changing. It may take 2min to go from full clear to full dark. When I used it it wasn't the brightest day ever. It ended up in between dark smoke and clear. I use it for evening when I'm heading out and it'll be dark when I return. If it's night when I leave I wear clear and if it's gonna be light for a while and I'm coming back I use dark smoke. Now..... It says not for night use on the side.. But... I have used at night with great results. Imo the car headlights aren't bright enough to affect it. Needs to be in real sun it seems. If you leave in evening this thing is cool. You can have tinted and clear. Like I said on the zx10 forum I haven't figured out just HOW dark it gets. Seemed like the no night use may be for liability? Idk

·
Vendor
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I can help here. It takes a few (several) seconds to start changing. It may take 2min to go from full clear to full dark. When I used it it wasn't the brightest day ever. It ended up in between dark smoke and clear. I use it for evening when I'm heading out and it'll be dark when I return. If it's night when I leave I wear clear and if it's gonna be light for a while and I'm coming back I use dark smoke. Now..... It says not for night use on the side.. But... I have used at night with great results. Imo the car headlights aren't bright enough to affect it. Needs to be in real sun it seems. If you leave in evening this thing is cool. You can have tinted and clear. Like I said on the zx10 forum I haven't figured out just HOW dark it gets. Seemed like the no night use may be for liability? Idk
Thanks for the feedback on this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts