Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today went up my favourite road with my new beast! Up the old road through the twisties. Normally I don't ride alone but this morning I felt like a ride by myself. Getting used to the bike already and finding it the most exciting and amazing bike I have ever had. BTW I have owned many many bikes and been riding all my life, with some competition too. It's incredible that even though I am running it in gently ( just like the manual says) I am just grinning and loving the whole experience! I think it's only something other H2 owners would understand. I am really really happy with my purchase...
On my way back at running in speeds a Ducati rider I waved passed roared past me, he was leant right over taking some chances as the road wasn't wet but from the sprinkling overcast sky maybe left a slight residue behind. Low and behold a few clicks up the road he was down in one my favourite sections, bike smashed up but he was ok. I thought to myself that could have been me, but it really wasn't the day to push limits of the bike....
Anyway thought share my positive thoughs of my ride ( and one negative :() and wanted to acknowledge and thank everyone so far on the forum that had time for me...and in advance wishing you all a VERY Merry Christmas!!!
Keep it upright...
Regards from Downunder Australia
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think the H2 has an effect on other people. Like a jealousy comes over them. Today I did a xmas ride out with 200+ bikes. A owner of a BMW1000rr says you wanna lean that bike over. I kindly explained to him it 4degrees I won't be leaning it anywhere. Only then to see him on his bike with winter chicken strips I passed the same comment to him. In reply well H2's are not all that I've waisted loads of them, I even test rode one and thought it was heavy. Well in 2 sentences I knew he was full of it. You don't get test rides and there not loads around to race. I yawned and walked off.

The morale of it is who really cares we all ride what we like and have pride in. Don't try put others down to make you feel better. He will probably be the next one in the hedge thinking he a hero coz he can get to the edge of his tyre.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It does have an odd effect on others. I occasionally ride my H2 on the roads and I'm happy for anyone to pass me, just don't brag to your mates that you beat an H2 though, racing on the roads proves nothing but a disregard for the law and other people's safety.

Try it at an LSR meeting and you'll have a fight on your hands though !!!! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
It does have an odd effect on others. I occasionally ride my H2 on the roads and I'm happy for anyone to pass me, just don't brag to your mates that you beat an H2 though, racing on the roads proves nothing but a disregard for the law and other people's safety.

Try it at an LSR meeting and you'll have a fight on your hands though !!!! :)
True.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I,m still running mine in and riding pretty steady at that

I really don't give a **** who come past me on the roads on any of my road bikes, the roads are to dangerous to be playing motogp

As for comments on what folk should be doing on a H2, f**k them they are only envious of a very special bike

Rob

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't understand jealousy very well as it's not an illness I suffer from. To each his own. Bob C, I have to disagree on the road racing comment. Most people or at least some, will not take their bike to a track. Most roads are not suited to exploit the h2 but occasionally you get one and enjoy it. I find it hard to believe you never broke a speed limit?

It really is a shame when you get people with this attitude on bikes. An s1000rr is a great bike but sounds like that guy was an *******. If he really thought that your bike was crap why would he say that? No gain. Best to just smile at these people and go on to enjoy your day.

Now, when's this h2 meeting happening?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't understand jealousy very well as it's not an illness I suffer from. To each his own. Bob C, I have to disagree on the road racing comment. Most people or at least some, will not take their bike to a track. Most roads are not suited to exploit the h2 but occasionally you get one and enjoy it. I find it hard to believe you never broke a speed limit?

It really is a shame when you get people with this attitude on bikes. An s1000rr is a great bike but sounds like that guy was an *******. If he really thought that your bike was crap why would he say that? No gain. Best to just smile at these people and go on to enjoy your day.

Now, when's this h2 meeting happening?
Hoping to arrange a meet late spring any suggestions where would be appreciated. I will post up a new thread and get on it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hoping to arrange a meet late spring any suggestions where would be appreciated. I will post up a new thread and get on it.
Count me in, I might of even run it I in by then :)

I suppose the Midlands somewhere is going to be best bet for everyone

Rob

·
Registered
765 Posts
Maybe a meet at somewhere like quatt cafe is easy then cruise from their to???

P.s. I also would not "race" an unknown on a street. Just race myself or have a fast ride, not race, with my bro

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think the H2 has an effect on other people. Like a jealousy comes over them. Today I did a xmas ride out with 200+ bikes. A owner of a BMW1000rr says you wanna lean that bike over. I kindly explained to him it 4degrees I won't be leaning it anywhere. Only then to see him on his bike with winter chicken strips I passed the same comment to him. In reply well H2's are not all that I've waisted loads of them, I even test rode one and thought it was heavy. Well in 2 sentences I knew he was full of it. You don't get test rides and there not loads around to race. I yawned and walked off.

The morale of it is who really cares we all ride what we like and have pride in. Don't try put others down to make you feel better. He will probably be the next one in the hedge thinking he a hero coz he can get to the edge of his tyre.

Funny I've heard the exact same thing from an S1000RR guy, that he test rode the H2 at a dealership & it's not that fast. Test rode it, Uh huh. Unlike the Bimmer the H2 isn't sitting on any dealership floors by me for people to test ride....... It's especially the S1000RR guys that I find are the most jealous of the H2. But that's ok, I get it & understand their dilemma, for years their bike was the fastest liter bike around and then comes the H2 & steals all the thunder.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Today went up my favourite road with my new beast! Up the old road through the twisties. Normally I don't ride alone but this morning I felt like a ride by myself. Getting used to the bike already and finding it the most exciting and amazing bike I have ever had. BTW I have owned many many bikes and been riding all my life, with some competition too. It's incredible that even though I am running it in gently ( just like the manual says) I am just grinning and loving the whole experience! I think it's only something other H2 owners would understand. I am really really happy with my purchase...
On my way back at running in speeds a Ducati rider I waved passed roared past me, he was leant right over taking some chances as the road wasn't wet but from the sprinkling overcast sky maybe left a slight residue behind. Low and behold a few clicks up the road he was down in one my favourite sections, bike smashed up but he was ok. I thought to myself that could have been me, but it really wasn't the day to push limits of the bike....
Anyway thought share my positive thoughs of my ride ( and one negative :() and wanted to acknowledge and thank everyone so far on the forum that had time for me...and in advance wishing you all a VERY Merry Christmas!!!
Keep it upright...
Regards from Downunder Australia
Jeffro ;)

Nice. Just wait till you really get on her,,,,,,,especially after you reflash. Sounds like you have plenty of bike experience so you're probably aware but don't be overly concerned about what it says in the manual about the the max revs/mileage. 4K rpm up to 500 miles/ 6k rpm 500-1000 miles is probably more hurtful to the performance of these engines than helpful & probably written by lawyers instead of engineers...

I've read a lot of convincing evidence that w/ these kind of modern Japanese motors after 20-50 miles or less & a few heat cycles your motor is "broken in"... Many believe we are too easy on the motor during that initial "break-in". Of course don't lug it or over rev but once your tires are scrubbed in & the bike goes through accelerating & decelerating, varying loads, after a couple of rides where the bike has gone through a few heat cycles, completely cooled down a few times,,, you're good to go....... Merry X-Mas 2 u 2!

Interesting on H2 break-in :

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nice. Just wait till you really get on her,,,,,,,especially after you reflash. Sounds like you have plenty of bike experience so you're probably aware but don't be overly concerned about what it says in the manual about the the max revs/mileage. 4K rpm up to 500 miles/ 6k rpm 500-1000 miles is probably more hurtful to the performance of these engines than helpful & probably written by lawyers instead of engineers...

I've read a lot of convincing evidence that w/ these kind of modern Japanese motors after 20-50 miles or less & a few heat cycles your motor is "broken in"... Many believe we are too easy on the motor during that initial "break-in". Of course don't lug it or over rev but once your tires are scrubbed in & the bike goes through accelerating & decelerating, varying loads, after a couple of rides where the bike has gone through a few heat cycles, completely cooled down a few times,,, you're good to go....... Merry X-Mas 2 u 2!

Interesting on H2 break-in :
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IT6zxMF-Gps
Stradale,,
Thanks for the comments. As for the running in procedure I am a little old school thinking, however after listening to Brock I do question my thinking. The reason Brock gives for not following the "official" running in procedure sounds feasible and I am sure he believes what he is doing right, but I couldn't help having to cringe listening to a brand new engine being revved up like that! I have been following all manufacturers instructions on all my new bikes for years ( I have had many new bikes past and present) and always ended up having strong motors, reliable and never using oil. That must say something about following the traditional running in procedures. With all due respect to all involved in the break in video, I can't help thinking that same bike would still have produced that hp with the normal run in procedure - just that it would take so much longer?
I don't have access to a Dyno and I have virtually no experience with dynos so my view is totally my own opinion. I am thinking maybe following manufacturer recommendations plus a little more might be the correct balance for someone like me that is not that fond of dynos. Finally once again with all due respect to Brock, if perhaps this procedure isn't the best for a bike the owner is going to be responsible for wear and tear or damage. I do repeat I am not a know it all and only highlighting something that's my opinion and of course open to debate about what your thoughts are on this subject?
As for my bike I have only 290kms on it at the moment and intend to run it in pretty close to Kawasaki recommendations ( plus maybe a couple more thousand revs now)....
Thanks again to all that commented on my post and hope to see more opinions on the best run in theory's....
Cheers and regards
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I wasn't talking about speed limits, I was talking about the inappropriate use of speed on a public highway. That's what gets you into trouble and racing on the roads comes into that category.

I try to encourage people to join a club, do a track day or an LSR meeting. It's the best way to get that urge for excess speed out of your system and find out what you and your bike can really do in a relatively safe and perfectly legal way. Then you can enjoy your ride out without so much risk. I'm not being a killjoy, merely trying to point riders in the right direction. Particularly younger, impressionable riders who's perception of risk is totally different to us older types.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Good idea. Most dangerous bikes are cheap old sports bikes. Anyone can get them (usually youngsters) and they are not far off as fast as many new bikes but in the hands of inexperienced people and much more likely to have a dangerous suspension or brake failure.

Breaking in. I did a very gentle 5 mile ride when bike was first delivered, left it for 2 days then did a 35-40 mile ride gradually building revs maxing at probably 7k. Few more short rides gradually building revs until I had done around 200 miles then? I could resist no more. 2-3-4-5 through the rev range probably changing up at circa 13000rpm. When I took it for its first service at 600 miles I told the mechanic what I had done and if he could double check everything. He did and said, as he suspected, nothing wrong, probably helped it more than anything. To each his own, when you open up your bike make sure you have a good view ahead of you and be prepared to grin and giggle like a little girl

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
@Jeffro - I hear ya, don't think there's a right answer/method. With my new cars & bikes I've always been more in the middle when it comes to break in, not following the manual to the letter but not running it like I stole it either. Giving the motor a few heat/cool down cycles, varying rpm, no lugging, etc. The 4K rpm rev limit for 500 miles in the H2 manual I found impossible to follow though, let the motor warm, scrubbed in the tires, brakes. 4K-6k rpm then after 50 miles few times to 6k, then 8k, 10k, accelerating, decelerating. My first ride on the H2 was 500 miles, changed the oil the 2nd day of ownership.

But the more I learn/read the more I lean towards the harder break in procedure being better, think there is some sound thinking that babying the engine doesn't allow the rings to seat properly. This summer when I brought in my 2016 CVO Street Glide for a catless exhaust & dyno tune I asked my Harley tuner (Andrew "Rosa" Rosamillia/ Rosas Performance) who raced, set records & has been building/modding/tuning engines for 35 years, he said that the easy break in applied to older bikes/engines, today w/ newer manufacturing methods/materials/engines that easy break in period is a myth & I should ride it exactly how I wanted to but don't over rev, lug the engine, vary rpm.

It is interesting that many high end manufacturers actually run engines or vehicles on the dyno before they leave the factory, think I read all our H2's are run on a rolling road at the factory. When I visited the Ferrari factory in Maranello Italy while my car was being built I saw that they run every engine on the dyno w/ varying loads & on the 3rd run up to the rev limit and then take the finished cars out for a spirited run up to about 10 miles, you can see them running around the town all day long. Think all the Bugatti Veyrons engines were run on the dyno as well.

There's a bunch of "break-in" info on the board under search, here's an interesting post from Don Guhl & check out the link he posted:
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

First things first... I'm not an engine builder, so take my views with a grain of salt!

I'm not an engine builder, but I have worked with some of the best engine builders out there. When it comes to breaking in an engine, they all seem to follow the same lines of thought, and I happen to agree with and follow them.

I have, for a very long time, subscribed to the break in procedure of "run it like you stole it" to get the rings to seat properly under the proper conditions. It is my experience that engines that are broken in hard consistently produce the most power and last the longest.

Here is a link to an article written about this topic.
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I believe that the easy slow speed break in procedures are derived by the same process that gives us restricted bikes in the first place! Politics and lawyers...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wasn't talking about speed limits, I was talking about the inappropriate use of speed on a public highway. That's what gets you into trouble and racing on the roads comes into that category.

I try to encourage people to join a club, do a track day or an LSR meeting. It's the best way to get that urge for excess speed out of your system and find out what you and your bike can really do in a relatively safe and perfectly legal way. Then you can enjoy your ride out without so much risk. I'm not being a killjoy, merely trying to point riders in the right direction. Particularly younger, impressionable riders who's perception of risk is totally different to us older types.

Think that's a good attitude.....I'm pretty good w/ taking my own safety & that of families in cars into account on the highways, can't say I stick to speed limits unless WAZE or my V1 alerts to the popo but ride based on traffic conditions, always making sure I'm cautious & can handle a situation if someone on the road does something unexpected. I'm also often on familiar highway/parkways when it's 3am though when there's plenty of space & hardly any other vehicles so the throttle gets twisted accordingly, 30+ mile blasts at 120-189 (**** 1st gen flash, lol!, nah that's bike temp.)

But I guess I'm a rule breaker.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Jeffro

Just to continue the conversation and opine...

I am still of the easy break in per the manufacturer. My reasoning is that its hard for me to go against the recommendations of a group of guys with advanced mechanical engineering degrees and metallurgy degrees, who work for a billion dollar company, and go with the opinion of a guy who hacks ECU's or makes subcontracted exhaust parts for a living. When I am unsure I will just default to the smartest guy in the room with the PhD.

If I told you in a very convincing tone on my YouTube channel (Think "if you like your healthcare you can keep your healthcare" bull$hit convincing voice)..."That the thermogenic tolerance and heat cycle brisance of the cylinder walls need the moderate cooling expansion of the longitudinal rings to displace the heat thru lower rpm movements and that's why the easy break in is essential to long motor life and exceptional power."

Of course all of that is bull$****, makes zero sense, and I made it all up... but if I say it convincingly people are always looking for some excuse to believe the next best greatest thing, even when common sense is hitting them in the face...they just WANT to believe it. So its easy to just say something over and over and make people believe it....Not to say its right or wrong with easy or hard break ins, but I have easy broke in every bike I have owned and they have all lasted over 10k miles and put down serious power with no failures....But who knows, maybe I am just lucky.

And when asked for some type of proof of concept or statistical analysis you usually get "Well dog I been doin it like that for years and I always make sick power"....Well **** with that kind of data to compute I am going for a ride and plan on bouncing my tach off the rev limiter for the rest of the afternoon. Sounds good enough for me.

NOLA

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ha ha, what a load of b0110x. PhD? What for? Now, in life you need to be able to judge character to get on, Nola obviously can't do relies on his "methods", derr. Anyway, the guy down my local pub said, " take your 25k bike and wring its neck from cold etc. Now, I know he won't lead me astray for several reasons. 1. He has a crappy old bike and it still works sometimes. 2. He always has oily, dirty hands, so he must be working on bikes all the time. 3. He has a beard, everyone knows that clever bu66ers always have beards. So Nola, thanks for your advice but no thanks, back of the class for you.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@Vmax+h2

You realize that made absolutely no sense, right ? I'm not even sure how to respond. Halfway thru I still couldn't figure out of you were for or against my point of view.

Slow down, type it again in English.

NOLA

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm not sure what type of English you speak?

Anyway, the post was made in jest. I think this has to be a personal decision who's theory you choose to believe and then do what you like with your bike.

Now, if you can point to a section of my post that is incomprehensible then I will gladly "translate" it for you :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts