Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you know how the small hip rest unlocks & removes from the tail section.. this has always been hard to re-latch on my bike, I have to smack it in multiple times before it catches & locks in. Now it won't latch at all. The metal post has to go through the slot I've circled and push back a catch latch behind there. That catch latch is not locking it in.

My question: have any of you adjusted this latch? If so please give details.
thanks! (can't ride my bike until this is secure)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Start by checking the torque on those two allen head bolts. If they are loose I would imagine the latch would move when you try to secure it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ just checked, they were very tight

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So you know how the small hip rest unlocks & removes from the tail section.. this has always been hard to re-latch on my bike, I have to smack it in multiple times before it catches & locks in. Now it won't latch at all. The metal post has to go through the slot I've circled and push back a catch latch behind there. That catch latch is not locking it in.

My question: have any of you adjusted this latch? If so please give details.
thanks! (can't ride my bike until this is secure)

You see the 3 silver things to the left of your circled area? The middle part of that is moves back & forth to latch the seat pad. From the key under the seat there is a cable that runs from the key location & when you turn the key it moves the cable & that latch. Turn your key back & forth, that latch should move left & right. If it doesn't you need to free it up. I suspect it's binded up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That thing always been a pita for me as well... stupid design. Really don't have to go in there often as it's to small to fit anything there anyway. I have my battery tender lead in there and that's it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That thing always been a pita for me as well... stupid design. Really don't have to go in there often as it's to small to fit anything there anyway. I have my battery tender lead in there and that's it.

At the beginning I had issues w/ how to remove the seat pad but after I did it quite a number of times you get a good feel for where to pull it/from the left side first & then the right w/ a rocking motion.

Having the battery tender lead in the seat back works just fine, just another option; I ran the pigtail lead from the battery towards the front of the bike & have it situated between the lower tank panel & frame. So you don't have to bother removing the seat pad & also worry about the part falling, allows much quicker connect/disconnect of a battery tender & looks better than having the seat pad removed from the bike.... I connnect the battery almost every time I park the bike so anyway it's right there when I need it & then you can hide it entirely or have it sit just between the frame & tank panel, it's perfectly sized for that spot, it stays put.....Plus I didn't want to hard wire a USB because I cannot locate a harness that is completely reliable so often on long trips I'll connect a Battery Tender USB to the pigtail lead & run a iPhone lightning USB wire up to my iphone for navigation, etc. having the pigtail in this area is perfect for charging stuff while you ride.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Mine has been tough to latch since day one. But mine never works just pushing in. The key is grab the entire pad in your palm and go left right with it and it clicks in place. Easy on mine. Try that.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My seat back is off and on quite a lot.

I regularly remove the tail piece for LSR events and my plug for the battery optimiser lives under there.

So far there have been no problems relocating it, I just line it up and give it a little bump with my fist, it clicks into position.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for your replies and input.
I'm late jumping in here because I was at the shop with my bike all yesterday and late into the night working on the intercooler & other stuff.

Nola I will try your technique, but I am going to take the entire tail section off today and see if I can figure out a fine-tune adjustment for the cable back there. If I figure out a solution I will post pics & info.
thanks
Terry

·
Registered
427 Posts
thank you all for your replies and input.
I'm late jumping in here because I was at the shop with my bike all yesterday and late into the night working on the intercooler & other stuff.

Nola I will try your technique, but I am going to take the entire tail section off today and see if I can figure out a fine-tune adjustment for the cable back there. If I figure out a solution I will post pics & info.
thanks
Terry
Did you find a fix for this?

Mine refuses to go on .... POS design!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you find a fix for this?

Mine refuses to go on .... POS design!
NO! Still an issue as we were still working on this fix today, but we (my mechanic & I) have some ideas on this. I am going to work on it tomorrow and I will report back.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My seat apd is off when not in use as the charger lead is under there. Noa issue but sometimes a little fiddly but nothing that worries me

·
Registered
427 Posts
NO! Still an issue as we were still working on this fix today, but we (my mechanic & I) have some ideas on this. I am going to work on it tomorrow and I will report back.
I played around with it last night.

I think the issue is that the long arm with the hole (from the seat), is not long enough to fit into the hole. The tolerances are too tight.

My thought was to junk the lock and get a long bolt that goes thru the metal behind the seat pad, then drill a hole in the rear plastic and use that with a nut on the end.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I played around with it last night.

I think the issue is that the long arm with the hole (from the seat), is not long enough to fit into the hole. The tolerances are too tight.
My guess is that the dimensions are what they are so that it doesn't rattle about. Carefully aligning it and then a gentle bump on the pad to engage the latch works for mine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did the side to side wiggle help at all ?

NOLA
no not at all on my bike.
keep in mind that at this point I can't get it to latch at all
yesterday we had the entire tail section off and everything seems to line up
at this point what seems to be stopping it are those rubber posts
I was going to work with those today but I had to work instead.
will check into it tomorrow

1 - 20 of 28 Posts