Ninja H2 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of chain cleaner & lube do you guys like?
How often when ridden in dry whether do you clean/lube the chain?

Methods that you use?

·
Registered
331 Posts
IMO ...main thing with chain lube is to keep the O or X ring seals soft' pliable and slippery and not melting or drying and cracking. They are what keep the already lubed pins and bushings from being contaminated with grit and wearing. Keeping in mind too that the seals must slide through about +-20 degrees of rotation every time they pass the front sprocket and <5 in the back. That's a lot of sliding for those little rubber bits.

I lube when the chain/seals begins to look dry. For years Ive used mobile1 90w-140w carefully applied directly to the seals with a homemade syringe applicator and my chains last and last. The oil in this case being the cleaner as well as lubricant I wipe excess off with paper towel till clean.

Recently tried Dupont PTFE with wax on my dirt machines ...the stuff is amazingly slippery and goes on sooo clean so ive started using it on the H2. Time will tell but I think the wax may preserve the seals almost as good as the M1.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
In my view the most important part of chain maintenance is how you clean it. I use paraffin (kerosene) to completely degrease the chain and sprockets. It's as good as anything else, doesn't leave the chain dry and is cheap. Most of the modern chain lubes are ok, I use Castrol Chain Lube Racing. It doesn't fling and is a high quality product.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would agree, proper maintenance of the chain is far more important than a particular brand of lube. That being said, using something that doesn't fling off is always a plus. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Clean my chain with kerosene always have,as far as lube goes I have been using Motul factory pro.
I always lube my chain after every ride whilst it is still warm this eliminates throw off as its already to go the next ride and the lube gets in better whilst the chain is warm.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would agree, proper maintenance of the chain is far more important than a particular brand of lube. That being said, using something that doesn't fling off is always a plus. :)
Exactly, I think the same can be said for anything that requires lubrication, once it's good enough of a brand and type and that you do the maintenance required or better... you're in the clear.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. Picked up a bottle of Maxima chain lube/wax, the Kawasaki service manager recommended it. He said for cleaning WD-40 is what they use, you guys agree or should I use kerosene (I have WD40 already but would have to buy kerosene)?

Never mind about the WD40, went w the Maxima chain cleaner.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Picked up a bottle of Maxima chain lube/wax, the Kawasaki service manager recommended it. He said for cleaning WD-40 is what they use, you guys agree or should I use kerosene (I have WD40 already but would have to buy kerosene)?

I like the Maxima Chain Wax. It is slightly golden in color and does not fling off. I usually lube my chain while the bike is cold and let the bike sit overnight. Most lubes will want you to warm the chain up by running the bike. I am also using a chain cleaner (I am not sure what brand) prior to lubing.

The chain is sealed with O-rings. The O-rings are designed to hold the factory lube in the chain. While the chain lube also lubricates the chain, your real goal is to keep the chain from getting dry and rusty. Dry and rusty chains wear out the chain seals (O-rings or X-rings). If the seals get worn the lube will be lost and wear out the chain and sprockets pre maturely, reduce performance, need adjustment more often, and make noise. A properly maintained chain can last up to 15,000 miles or more.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.....

Ok, I was going to say that the WD40 or a proprietary cleaner has to be a lot more expensive than kerosene.

The main thing is to get all the old lube and gritty dirt off and use something which doesn't leave the chain totally dry and de-greased. That's why kerosene fits the bill. after cleaning and wiping off with a rag the chain will still have a light oily coating. Never use a degreaser.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Maxima here as well...cleaning,usually at 500 miles(more)...kerosine.I would not recommend WD-40.

Maxima WILL setup within one half hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts